Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: PickUp Game: Larry Bird VS Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    You guys thaat picked bird obviously don't know a damn thing about basketball. Pippen would kill bird in a game on 1v1. There's no way bird at 6'9 could rise up and shoot enough outside shots over pippen at 6'8 to counter pippens superior footspeed and ability to drive to the basket.
    Bird is a little before my time, but you do know that Larry Bird is a top 8 player who has been guarded by Pippen. If we're just judging superficially yeah, it makes more sense that Pippen would kill him.

Once I saw a video of Larry Bird, and he seemed so out of place, running back and forth along players that seemed so much more athletic than him, yet he was the best in the world. That's what I find fascinating about him.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Bird is a little before my time, but you do know that Larry Bird is a top 8 player who has been guarded by Pippen. If we're just judging superficially yeah, it makes more sense that Pippen would kill him.

Once I saw a video of Larry Bird, and he seemed so out of place, running back and forth along players that seemed so much more athletic than him, yet he was the best in the world. That's what I find fascinating about him.
    Birds strength was not isolation. He fed off his teammates. If pippen were shorter, say 6'3 id say sure bird could just rise up and shoot over him. Their respective all-time ranking has no bearing on this

More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

I tend to lean towards the more athletic player (assuming he has some type of handle) in 1v1.

And it's not like Bird vs Gerald Green.

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Bird shot over scottie pippen whenever he wanted. I know pippen was young, but he guarded bird for 4 or 5 years and did defend him as well as anybody did, but bird still got off his shot with relative ease. People don't know how tough it is to guard somebody that is such a deadly shooter. His threat of shooting was the best fake in basketball, just looking at the hoop guys were jumping out of their shorts. Pippen would be left out on an island in a game of one on one. The ball fake creates that little space and then bird never lets you recover. He was not called the master of the half inch for nothing.
    I would have rather guarded someone that was quicker and was an average shooter or would prefer to drive, especially in one on one games. When you have to guard a shooter who can use quality jab and shot fakes like a bird, it is so tough. Bird could probably drain 4 or 5 in a row and then pippen would be totally lost.

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

michael cooper could lock down Bird for stretches of games....so pippen could surely do it.

pip pip hooray...

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    Bird shot over scottie pippen whenever he wanted. I know pippen was young, but he guarded bird for 4 or 5 years and did defend him as well as anybody did, but bird still got off his shot with relative ease. People don't know how tough it is to guard somebody that is such a deadly shooter. His threat of shooting was the best fake in basketball, just looking at the hoop guys were jumping out of their shorts. Pippen would be left out on an island in a game of one on one. The ball fake creates that little space and then bird never lets you recover. He was not called the master of the half inch for nothing.
    I would have rather guarded someone that was quicker and was an average shooter or would prefer to drive, especially in one on one games. When you have to guard a shooter who can use quality jab and shot fakes like a bird, it is so tough. Bird could probably drain 4 or 5 in a row and then pippen would be totally lost.
    Have you ever playes 1v1 against a guy that could dribble, jump out the gym and finish with authority?

What your saying only holds true in a team setting. Then, you not only have to worry about the man with the ball, but you must worry about his ability to pass or a man comming over to set a pick.

And what good is jabs and shot fakes? Due to pippens footspeed and equal length, why would he need to bite on a pump fake? And you obviously don't know what a jab is used for. Its used to get seperation in order to hit an open jumper. But you must respect the offensive players ability to drive. And don't forget pippens aarguably the greatest man defender ever. All pippen would need to do is get up on bird and make him drive.

Giving the edge to someone in 1v1 because they are more athletic is misguided. 1v1 comes down to ability to shoot, post, and drive. The more versatile, cutthroat, and consistent, the better iso player.

That basically defines Bird. Like I said before, he averaged 7 assists per game because help defenses had to come so often for Bird when he drove and posted up. Bird didn't get assists like LeBron by running the point at the top of the key.

There is no help defense in 1v1. Bird is gonna burn you.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    michael cooper could lock down Bird for stretches of games....so pippen could surely do it.

pip pip hooray...
    You mean like this? Bulls and Celtics were tied at the end of the game, and everybody and your mother knew Bird will take the last shot, Pippen with Jordan were all over him and couldnt do anything:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoGmMx8Ejrw

Local High School Star barkleynash's Avatar

Bulls fan, I acknowledge Pippen's ability to defend and count him as one of the best defenders in the history of the game, and he does have length.
    I wonder why bird could just shoot over him then. Cause Bird was bigger, shot the ball from behind his head and Pippen couldn't block it. Even with Pip in his face it wouldn't bother bird. I'm just saying bird could get his shot off and make it!! Bird could rocker step Pippen with his shot and jab fake. If Pip played him too tight Bird would get by him, not blow by him but just get that little space and Pip would not be strong enough to force his way back in.

And yes, I have played much quicker guys than me, as I was considered an average athlete as a point guard, fortunately, for whatever reason the guys I checked never seemed to have both the great shooting and the quickness.
    Pippen could shoot, but I would not consider him a great shooter and he was pretty inconsistent with his J in comparison to bird, who would get hot and hit6,7 ,8 shots in a row. Bird would sag off Scottie and make him shoot. If pip made jumpers then bird would obviously be in more trouble. But I'd like to see pip back bird down and score on him consistenly, he wasn't strong enough.
    Bird on the other hand could back Pippen down if it came to that and take him on the block or with the fade.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    Giving the edge to someone in 1v1 because they are more athletic is misguided. 1v1 comes down to ability to shoot, post, and drive. The more versatile, cutthroat, and consistent, the better iso player.

That basically defines Bird. Like I said before, he averaged 7 assists per game because help defenses had to come so often for Bird when he drove and posted up. Bird didn't get assists like LeBron by running the point at the top of the key.

There is no help defense in 1v1. Bird is gonna burn you.
    One on one is a totally different animal from aa team game. And your trying take what bird was able to do in a team concept and inculcate it into 1v1 iso ball. These are pros were talking about, even more all-time great hofers. Its not as if pippen can't score. Bird has to play up on him too.

There's just no way bird can stay infront of pippen in a 1 on 1 setting.

Quote Originally Posted by HB40TheNextStar
    I tend to lean towards the more athletic player (assuming he has some type of handle) in 1v1.

And it's not like Bird vs Gerald Green.
    I'm not sure bird could beat gerald green in a game of 1 on 1.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I'm not sure bird could beat gerald green in a game of 1 on 1.
    HAHAHAHA I was about to respond to your post above until you said that.

You must be completely trolling. You don't become a top 5 player of all time unless you encompass a greatness that almost no comparable man can ever match. Gerald Green?

Come on man.

Quote Originally Posted by barkleynash
    Bulls fan, I acknowledge Pippen's ability to defend and count him as one of the best defenders in the history of the game, and he does have length.
    I wonder why bird could just shoot over him then. Cause Bird was bigger, shot the ball from behind his head and Pippen couldn't block it. Even with Pip in his face it wouldn't bother bird. I'm just saying bird could get his shot off and make it!! Bird could rocker step Pippen with his shot and jab fake. If Pip played him too tight Bird would get by him, not blow by him but just get that little space and Pip would not be strong enough to force his way back in.

And yes, I have played much quicker guys than me, as I was considered an average athlete as a point guard, fortunately, for whatever reason the guys I checked never seemed to have both the great shooting and the quickness.
    Pippen could shoot, but I would not consider him a great shooter and he was pretty inconsistent with his J in comparison to bird, who would get hot and hit6,7 ,8 shots in a row. Bird would sag off Scottie and make him shoot. If pip made jumpers then bird would obviously be in more trouble. But I'd like to see pip back bird down and score on him consistenly, he wasn't strong enough.
    Bird on the other hand could back Pippen down if it came to that and take him on the block or with the fade.
    Again, these are pros. Even more hofers, even more than that all-time great hofers. You can't just give a guy like pippen open space. He's gonna make it. Especially if birds gonna give him the jumpshot. And with pippens footspeed, bird would need to give a lot of ground.

And why would pippen negate his advantage by trying to back down bird? Makes no sense.

Local High School Star

Anyone who says Bird doesn't know basketball. The OP said one-on-one, not five-on-five. Pippen is way too long, quick, and athletic for Bird to stop one-on-one.

As far as one-on-one goes, a prime Bird would probably lose to half of today's NBA players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushxx
    HAHAHAHA I was about to respond to your post above until you said that.

You must be completely trolling. You don't become a top 5 player of all time unless you encompass a greatness that almost no comparable man can ever match. Gerald Green?

Come on man.
    I'm sorry Push, I just don't see bird being able to stay infront of gerald green either. And I've never seen a player good enough to consistently hit jumpers that are highly contested. It doesn't mean green is a better basketball player, jjust a far superior athlete as well as being a decent enough dribbler to get past the slow-a-foot bird.