Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Fudge's Avatar

Arrow LeBron still has a realistic shot at GOAT...whether you like it or not

That is all.

If he gets either a league MVP or FMVP (or both), he's on par with MJ, definitely surpassing KAJ.

And another one of either of those awards in 2018 and he surpasses Jordan.

Somebody tell me otherwise.

Default Re: LeBron still has a realistic shot at GOAT...whether you like it or not

GOAT? Nah, he's not gonna catch Jordan. He honestly could surpass everyone else by the end of his career though, 2nd GOAT is definitely in play

Default Re: LeBron still has a realistic shot at GOAT...whether you like it or not

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    GOAT? Nah, he's not gonna catch Jordan. He honestly could surpass everyone else by the end of his career though, 2nd GOAT is definitely in play
    He's not going to catch Jordan, but technically he still has a chance, although given that he's declining it's incredibly illogical to expect him to do so. Regardless, there will be people arguing him for GOAT, just like there still are for KAJ, Wilt, Russell, and even Kobe by his insane fans.

he needs Kareem type longevity(top 5 at least for like 4-5 more years) to have a chance but even with that, his resume would be pretty similar to kareem's and not many have kareem over Jordan. Only other way is if he somehow reaches another level peak wise and has a year even better than 09 or 13 but tht's not happening.

One more FMVP and it pretty much creates as much distance between Jordan and 2nd, between 2 and the rest.... Basically, Just how Jordan is consensus GOAT, LeBron is consensus 2nd GOAT

Even if he doesn't get any more, I still feel like, with his career volume, he has as stronger argument for 2nd GOAT over Kareem or Magic

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    He's not going to catch Jordan, but technically he still has a chance, although given that he's declining it's incredibly illogical to expect him to do so. Regardless, there will be people arguing him for GOAT, just like there still are for KAJ, Wilt, Russell, and even Kobe by his insane fans.
    Not even tryna play you but ... after what we just saw in the finals and playoffs (30 PER) can we even say he's really declining? Is 2016 LeBron not better than 97-98 MJ? I think they're a tie in terms of peak impact, but I'd count on MJ beating LeBron in a finals if all things are equal.

If LeBron is able to stay at around this level till' 2019 or so ... sheesh. At least another FMVP.

Quote Originally Posted by CTbasketball92
    Not even tryna play you but ... after what we just saw in the finals and playoffs (30 PER) can we even say he's really declining? Is 2016 LeBron not better than 97-98 MJ? I think they're a tie in terms of peak impact, but I'd count on MJ beating LeBron in a finals if all things are equal.

If LeBron is able to stay at around this level till' 2019 or so ... sheesh. At least another FMVP.
    IDK man, I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert on the NBA (outside of knowing players. I would guess I probably know the names of more NBA players than most people on ISH, but that's just because I internalize stuff like that for whatever reason), so I can't judge 97-98 MJ vs current LeBron. LeBron had an amazing finals, but peak LeBron ends that series before 7 games IMO.

LeBron really just feasts against Small-ball. You'd think Draymond could check him, but LeBron is a terrible matchup for him. When you make LeBron the biggest player on the court, you're playing very dangerously.

What I was most impressed with him this playoffs/finals was... His defense. GOAT tier finals performance defensively.

Wouldn't Lebron be the same MVP type player whether he wins the MVP next year or not? He's a top 5 talent, but in terms of as a player we've already seen enough of both to know. If Curry didn't choke big time, or could handle playoff type defense and hit a couple of more shots, would Lebron still not be the same player? For me I don't even consider Jordan's rings to be the reason why he's Top 1. It's more about his play, and his play to get those rings that stands out. Just like the way Lebron played would stand out had he not won the ring last month.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Wouldn't Lebron be the same MVP type player whether he wins the MVP next year or not? He's a top 5 talent, but in terms of as a player we've already seen enough of both to know. If Curry didn't choke big time, or could handle playoff type defense and hit a couple of more shots, would Lebron still not be the same player? For me I don't even consider Jordan's rings to be the reason why he's Top 1. It's more about his play, and his play to get those rings that stands out. Just like the way Lebron played would stand out had he not won the ring last month.
    These GOAT/Legacy rankings are more so what they've done, compared to who they are. The distinction would be Great vs. Best. Because, LeBron has always been in a class with perhaps Jordan, Shaq... Maybe a few others, maybe not.. That's it. But now LeBron has the accolades to be considered one of the "greatest" top 5 players ever, which is why this 3rd championship, irrelevant of the herculean context, solidifies his legacy.

I have him top 3. But very likely #1 when he retires.

Scary thing? He's only 31.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    These GOAT/Legacy rankings are more so what they've done, compared to who they are. The distinction would be Great vs. Best. Because, LeBron has always been in a class with perhaps Jordan, Shaq... Maybe a few others, maybe not.. That's it. But now LeBron has the accolades to be considered one of the "greatest" top 5 players ever, which is why this 3rd championship, irrelevant of the herculean context, solidifies his legacy.
    Yeah, I understand. But look at players like Kobe, who ranks number 12th. He won one championship averaging 15ppg, 3 all together as a side kick, and then two more where he beat under horrible Finals teams where he under performed by good margin. I estimate that there are 24 more impactful players talent wise than him, in the history of the league, with the majority of those 24 never getting the chance of being on good enough teams. I mean 24th out of thousands is nothing to sneeze at, but still.

Nope.

Whether you like it or not tbh...

Undefeated

In my head, I see him as the best all-around player to ever lace em up. Many agree with me. He's the greatest athlete ever, and potentially one of the most skilled ever for his size/strength. He's 6,8" built like a rocket ship, and passes the rock like Magic ****in' Johnson. Has underrated dexterity, makes finishing layups going full speed look easy. Has the touch of a skilled heart surgeon. His instincts on both ends are impeccable. Any athlete knows this. The way he naturally times his chase-down blocks for example; that's a gift. It's what we call anticipation. And he has that on both ends. So when you combine his incredible mental gifts with his incredible physical gifts, it's no surprise why he's been the undisputed number 1 guy for almost 10 years straight.

Crazy thing is, he's not close to being finished. Still has at least 3 years of elite play left, and in total 7-8 years of great basketball.

GOAT athlete no question.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

It's a shot, but it's not realistic.

He's basically Tiger Woods trying to catch Jack. Good job. Good effort. But nahhhh.