Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Kyrie Irving now shooting 46.3% from three on season

Dude has been ****ing impressive. I've never liked him before, but he's top 10 for sure. Just needs to improve his midrange game and need to drive a bit more. Dude is on par with centers when it comes to finishing at the rim. Inconsistent-Below average defensively. Still, he's an offensive juggernaut.

Only if he was 2-3 inches taller. Would've ripped the league a new one.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    Yes, we are just 10 games in, but Irving's jumper has been wet so far. He's 25-for-54 from behind the arc. He's also currently sporting the best TS% (60.2), eFG (53.5%) and PER (22.2) of his young career.

So, while the Cavs' offense is still a work in progress, Irving seems to have adapted to playing alongside LBJ very well at this stage. I thought with his shooting ability that it was just a matter of time, but it happened sooner than I envisioned. You take away the first few games and his efficiency is through the roof.

Still a work in progress defensively, but he played the best defensive game of his career against the Spurs last night.

The first part of this equation was getting Irving and James on the same page. That looks like it has been accomplished. Phase two is working Love into things. It's still very early, so they shouldn't feel hurried or become impatient.

I don't think you'll see everyone on exactly the same wave length until well after the All Star break. But, figuring out the James/Irving formula was an important first step to getting there.
    homer

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    He's improved his D, he needs to work on reading defenses and moving the ball around better.

His game has been improving and he doesn't seem to get rattled as easy as he did in years past.

His play has just been steadier and more consistent on both ends.

With Kyrie it's all about just making the right decisions and the right times. He has the ability he just needs to be smart with the ball.
    his d is improved,I heard u guy talked many times last season,but his d is still as worse as tony parker

I like his current approach to the offense which seems to be playing his role, running through the screen work, handling the ball when called upon and, the majority of the time, just taking what the defense gives him. In addition to that, he will have these short bursts of taking over... a few minutes here and there, when the team needs him to step up.

He's not forcing the issue though and still working within the constraints of the offense. I don't think the team as a whole is at a point yet where he or LeBron can run a seamless offense where everyone is involved. It's just not there yet.

Right now, it seems to be about trying to find that place for 75-percent of the game and using that other 25-percent taking over. I can live with that for now. LeBron is sort of doing the same thing, fwiw. For right now, that seems like the best strategy. It works on the chemistry issues while still giving us a chance to win. There aren't a ton of players in the league who can turn it on and off like that. We have two of them.

Defensively, the improvement is clear. He still needs to get more consistent on that end, but he was really freaking good against the Spurs and Parker last night which is a good sign. He stepped up to the challenge and showed he's capable of playing on a high level on that end too.
    hs man d is not even as gd as iverson,who is nmed a bad defender

I like his current approach to the offense which seems to be playing his role, running through the screen work, handling the ball when called upon and, the majority of the time, just taking what the defense gives him. In addition to that, he will have these short bursts of taking over... a few minutes here and there, when the team needs him to step up.

He's not forcing the issue though and still working within the constraints of the offense. I don't think the team as a whole is at a point yet where he or LeBron can run a seamless offense where everyone is involved. It's just not there yet.

Right now, it seems to be about trying to find that place for 75-percent of the game and using that other 25-percent taking over. I can live with that for now. LeBron is sort of doing the same thing, fwiw. For right now, that seems like the best strategy. It works on the chemistry issues while still giving us a chance to win. There aren't a ton of players in the league who can turn it on and off like that. We have two of them.

Defensively, the improvement is clear. He still needs to get more consistent on that end, but he was really freaking good against the Spurs and Parker last night which is a good sign. He stepped up to the challenge and showed he's capable of playing on a high level on that end too.
    hs man d is not even as gd as iverson,who is always named a poor defender throughout his career
    Last edited by Paul George 24; 11-20-2014 at 03:04 PM.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

He can ball but the Cavs ain't winning any championships with him playing PG for them.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HomieWeMajor
    He can ball but the Cavs ain't winning any championships with him playing PG for them.

if they could get to the finals with Eric Snow and Boobie Gibson why not win one with Kyrie?

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul George 24
    homer
    his d is improved,I heard u guy talked many times last season,but his d is still as worse as tony parker
    hs man d is not even as gd as iverson,who is nmed a bad defender
    hs man d is not even as gd as iverson,who is always named a poor defender throughout his career
    Excellent rebuttals. You win.

Love his aggressiveness. Sick handle, can always free up space. Wet jumper from deep. He is super creative in transition, or finishing at the bucket. Very impressive.

However, he's an atrocious defender, and rarely if ever looks to dump the ball off to an open man, even around the rim ... and he's supposed to be a PG?

How his defense?

I had him and Lillard about even last year overall but Lillard's really stepped up on D

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno
    How his defense?

I had him and Lillard about even last year overall but Lillard's really stepped up on D

he's improved.

Last year he'd play D in spurts, this year started the same way but you can tell he's giving a more consistent effort.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    he's improved.

Last year he'd play D in spurts, this year started the same way but you can tell he's giving a more consistent effort.
    I thought he was the best defender on the floor last night against the Spurs. It was noticeable, even to the point where SVG commented on it. Not only did he stay in Parker's hip pocket through all those crazy screens that the Spurs run, but he was also causing havoc in the passing lanes.

He's not consistent with it yet, but the effort is clearly there. He's much improved.

#Dre Day in Sac Town andremiller07's Avatar

I have never seen a more overrated player in my life, my god are people really blinded that hard by his flashiness? Top 5 PG , Kyrie has amazing skills don't get me wrong but he simply can't translate to playing winning basketball. This season there's been more than 10 PG than have been better.

His shot selection along with Waiters is just horrendous.

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07
    I have never seen a more overrated player in my life, my god are people really blinded that hard by his flashiness? Top 5 PG , Kyrie has amazing skills don't get me wrong but he simply can't translate to playing winning basketball. This season there's been more than 10 PG than have been better.
    In literally each of the Cavs' five wins this year (and in several of the games they ultimately lost), he spurred the team with at least one huge scoring outburst at key moments. He is one of the league leaders in fourth quarter scoring/efficiency.

In the Cavs' biggest win so far in Chicago, he had THE key And-1 when the Cavs were down three and the clock was winding down. He's always been very good under pressure and in the fourth quarter. And, if his "shot selection" is horrendous, why is he scoring efficiently? Doesn't make sense.

Not sure what he has to do to prove to you that he can play. You're the same guy who argued Isaiah Thomas was a better player last year. You sure you're watching the right guy? He wears #2 for the Cavaliers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andremiller07

His shot selection along with Waiters is just horrendous.
    Damn. Dat rat poison