Thread: Detroit

Rip+Rose=Ripping Rose Clocian-IGN's Avatar

Default Detroit

So what's up with this team. In specific Josh Smith.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: Detroit

A move has needed to be made for a while, regarding that frontcourt logjam (Andre Drummond, Josh Smith, Greg Monroe). That said, they've actually been in most of their games up to around the mid-point of the fourth quarter or thereafter. They're trying to win with the wrong roster, and that can be tough.

Josh Smith's shooting percentage (36.9%) is a result of a couple of factors. First, he still shoots more jumpers than he should. However, it should be noted he's taking far less than he used to (half as many threes).

What may be hurting him more from a percentage standpoint is how they've tried to look at him for post offense. He's not a great back-to-the-basket player, so there's a lot of awkward maneuvers and tough inside attempts. He's at his best in transition and catching the ball going downhill. That's not where his shots have come from.

Andre Drummond has also been very, very poor in the post - maybe the worst in the league amongst players who are consistently given the ball down low. SVG's trying to develop him there, whereas previous coaches accepted his suckatude and figured they'd wait for him to get better in practice before trying to force it in games. Van Gundy doesn't overdue it with him (2-4 post attempts per game), but it's been enough to really hamper Drummond's field goal percentage and confidence. His foul trouble has also jacked with that confidence.

I don't think Detroit's a blow-it-up situation, but I do believe they're a "Gotta move someone big to address the gaps" team. I think virtually everyone is expendable, even Andre.

I think they secretly trying to get a good pick in the draft then playoff bound.

Smith and Drummond are struggling quite a bit. It seemed like Drummond was their strong point last year, but he's regressed in terms of scoring and efficiency. Smith is having his worst season since his sophomore year.

For you Pistons fans out there: Would you have preferred that the team kept Brandon Knight instead of trading for Jennings?

Gutless worms

NBA Legend

In specific

It seemed like there were actually some teams interested in Josh Smith during the offseason. It may have been a devastating mistake not to move him then, because his trade value has plummeted.

I think you've got to trade everybody but maybe KCP and Drummond and try for a quick rebuild. There are worse situations to be in than rebuilding around a good young center and a decent wing.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Asiantastic
    Smith and Drummond are struggling quite a bit. It seemed like Drummond was their strong point last year, but he's regressed in terms of scoring and efficiency. Smith is having his worst season since his sophomore year.
    Drummond's primary issues have been foul trouble and the aforementioned post play. I don't know if I'd say he's regressed. Mostly, he spent his first two years living off of alley-oops and tip dunks. If he was going to shoot, it was going to be one of those two. And as it turns out, he makes a high number of his lobs and tip dunks.

This year, there's been a combination of factors. For starters, teams are even more concerned with taking away the lob play with Andre, thus reducing his lob attempts, particularly considering how his favorite lob delivery man (Will Bynum) was dealt to Boston in the preseason.

Second, Detroit's making an effort to consistently post him up and get him looks this year. Unfortunately, he's awful in the post. His terrible post play combined with his serious foul problems have likely affected his confidence a little and probably led to some other uncharacteristic misses. But wholly, it's not so much he's regressed, he's just being asked to do things he couldn't or can't.
    For you Pistons fans out there: Would you have preferred that the team kept Brandon Knight instead of trading for Jennings?
    The Knight/Jennings thing is interesting. I think they might be similar in terms of value. Knight put up some numbers in Detroit, but it was always a wonder as to whether he'd have what it took to be the point guard on a good basketball team. It seemed like he'd go out there and do some stuff at an alright level, nothing awful, nothing great, and the team would follow suit.

He seems to be doing well in Milwaukee, though I think it might depend upon where one may be looking, as he's a 42% shooter turning the ball over 4 times a night.

That said, it's not like Jennings is incredible. I've historically hated his game but he's had a nice stretch lately. It's a weird toss up. We had a guy seemingly destined at the time to be an okay shooting 12 point, 4 assist guard, so we traded him for a super erratic point with a lofty peak that was rarely reached.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-20-2014 at 12:55 PM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    It seemed like there were actually some teams interested in Josh Smith during the offseason. It may have been a devastating mistake not to move him then, because his trade value has plummeted.
    The issue there may have been that Smith's value wasn't very high to begin with. He had a rough last year from a scouting standpoint, as he seemed to re-affirm most people's thoughts of how he is resistant to change and insists upon jacking up three pointers despite being an awful shooter.

It's a very tough spot to be in. On one hand, fans and the front office are both likely highly motivated to move him. On the other hand, some of the best deals we've seen has been "Smith for Jason Thompson and Derrick Williams". If we rid of Smith in exchange for a combined 5.9 points per game, that's not really doing Detroit any favors.

Smith's actually playing better this year than last, simply by showing some restraint while continuing to do the things he's good at. His scoring is down due to his role and his offensive limitations (where he's been more accepting of not shooting tons of threes to try to reach a set number) but he's still doing the things he does well.

I think you've got to trade everybody but maybe KCP and Drummond and try for a quick rebuild. There are worse situations to be in than rebuilding around a good young center and a decent wing.
    I actually would not shy away from dealing Drummond. He could be good, but he has some potential long-term drawbacks. As I mentioned, he's one of the worst post players I've ever seen.

He's 21 years old, so that could improve. However, by 21, we've known of many post players who seemed to at least have potential in that regard. For instance, Anthony Davis has never looked as bad as Drummond in the post, and he's the same age.

Anyway, if they could roll the dice and trade Drummond for a great talent, it could be a solid move, especially if it frees up their lineup and introduces a legitimate three or five.

I don't think they need to trade everybody. There's a mold that can be worked with. It's a blob of substance, but it just hasn't been sculpted. A lot of excess in certain areas, missing a piece here or there... but the right deal could change a lot. I guess it'll just depend upon whether the right deal is possible.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-20-2014 at 01:15 PM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Asiantastic

yes. I would much rather have kept Knight (and Middleton) than get Jennings. That was definitely a mistake (as was signing J smoove).
    If this team were
    Knight
    KCP
    Middleton
    Monroe
    Drummond

with a bench of Singler, JJ, augustin, and a middling backup center (mostly wouldnt play, as Monroe slides to the 5) they would be better off.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

they need consistency with their management and coaching. SVG needs at least a minimum of 2 seasons at the helm to see if he can get the franchise on an upward trajectory.

I think they are on the rebound, it's just gonna take a while for everything to get straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Drummond's primary issues have been foul trouble and the aforementioned post play. I don't know if I'd say he's regressed. Mostly, he spent his first two years living off of alley-oops and tip dunks. If he was going to shoot, it was going to be one of those two. And as it turns out, he makes a high number of his lobs and tip dunks.

This year, there's been a combination of factors. For starters, teams are even more concerned with taking away the lob play with Andre, thus reducing his lob attempts, particularly considering how his favorite lob delivery man (Will Bynum) was dealt to Boston in the preseason.

Second, Detroit's making an effort to consistently post him up and get him looks this year. Unfortunately, he's awful in the post. His terrible post play combined with his serious foul problems have likely affected his confidence a little and probably led to some other uncharacteristic misses. But wholly, it's not so much he's regressed, he's just being asked to do things he couldn't or can't.
    That makes a lot of sense then. I remember him being labeled as one of the best centers in the league last year and he really showed other teams what they passed up on. Maybe he just needs time to adjust to Van Gundy's system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    The Knight/Jennings thing is interesting. I think they might be similar in terms of value. Knight put up some numbers in Detroit, but it was always a wonder as to whether he'd have what it took to be the point guard on a good basketball team. It seemed like he'd go out there and do some stuff at an alright level, nothing awful, nothing great, and the team would follow suit.

He seems to be doing well in Milwaukee, though I think it might depend upon where one may be looking, as he's a 42% shooter turning the ball over 4 times a night.

That said, it's not like Jennings is incredible. I've historically hated his game but he's had a nice stretch lately. It's a weird toss up. We had a guy seemingly destined at the time to be an okay shooting 12 point, 4 assist guard, so we traded him for a super erratic point with a lofty peak that was rarely reached.
    Yeah, when the trade was made, I had mixed feelings. Jennings was already an established player, primarily known for his scoring. Knight was more of a combo guard I'd say and it was pure potential. I personally would have liked it better if the Pistons had kept Knight and developed him, along with Monroe and Drummond, as the key pieces of the franchise.

Additionally, the Pistons have a pretty bad contract in Josh Smith, who is simultaneously causing a log jam in the front court. His 13.5 mil a year would have been better spent on another player tbh, perhaps a defensive minded SF (and no, I don't consider Smith a SF haha. He's a PF to me)
    Last edited by Asiantastic; 11-20-2014 at 01:42 PM.