Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Who would you draft over Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    No one in the History of the NBA

You can add Magic & Larry to that list too.

You draft players of potential.
    MJ is only 6' 6".
    Kareem lacks brute strength of Shaq & need Magic, Bird like floor leader.
    Hakeem too.

Shaq was beast of nature. Blessed with Huge massive hands & strongest player to ever play in NBA. Even a lazy, bum Shaq will deliver atleast 3 NBA titles because 5 feet inside the paint. Shaq is absolutely UNSTOPPABLE.

Shaq can easily dominate because of his strength, brute force & huge hand size that controls the ball easily.

I see Shaq in the Draft. I'll pick him blindly over Top 5 GOATs.

Why?

Shaq "GUARANTEED" multiple titles. Others, I'm not too sure about.
    Shaq had to have a great floor leader to win, too - Penny, Kobe, Wade.

Kareem and Chamberlain were both far better centers than O'Neal ever was.

If I had to choose between Shaq & Tim Duncan I would probably have nightmares over that decision.

It's significantly easier to build a championship team around someone like Magic, MJ, or Bird than Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Lebron

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Partially agree with you but I think Kareem's legendary success at UCLA would get him some votes over Shaq on draft night.
    disagree brother!

Not every NCAA success story is guaranteed NBA Success (HINT: christian Lattner was suppose to be NEXT Larry Bird)

-With Shaq I get exactly What I see.

-Height of 7'1"
    -Huge massive hands. Long Wingspan. Brute Force. Built like 3 trucks put into one.
    -UNSTOPPABLE within 6 feet radius of the basket.
    -Huge Hands guarantees tight ball handling in heavy traffic & one handed brutal dunks within 3 feet of the Basket.
    -Nobody in the history of NBA can match this combo of Brutal force, height, wingspan, hand size & position. NOBODY !!!

I'll take it. Atleast 1 title is GUARANTEED (probably even 2 titles)!

with MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, I am not GUARANTEED I can win atleast 1 title without Building a perfect team around them.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Shaq had to have a great floor leader to win, too - Penny, Kobe, Wade.

Kareem and Chamberlain were both far better centers than O'Neal ever was.

If I had to choose between Shaq & Tim Duncan I would probably have nightmares over that decision.
    Chamberlain has half the rings Shaq has and yet he's a "far better center" than Shaq? I want a player that dominates in the Playoffs and Finals during the modern era.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Probably no one. You can say Michael Jordan was the greatest player ever but still it'd be pretty crazy to draft Jordan over Shaq had they been on board at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Human Error
    Probably no one. You can say Michael Jordan was the greatest player ever but still it'd be pretty crazy to draft Jordan over Shaq had they been on board at the same time.
    Why would it be crazy to draft Jordan over Shaq?

Banned

If the draft were today? Absolutely no one in history. You have to remember that Shaq was drafted in a golden era of centers. In today's league he would absolutely dominate, even more so than during his prime years.

Who the hell would be his challenger at the C position? Dwight? Marc Gasol?

Banned

disagree brother!

Not every NCAA success story is guaranteed NBA Success (HINT: christian Lattner was suppose to be NEXT Larry Bird)

-With Shaq I get exactly What I see.

-Height of 7'1"
    -Huge massive hands. Long Wingspan. Brute Force. Built like 3 trucks put into one.
    -UNSTOPPABLE within 6 feet radius of the basket.
    -Huge Hands guarantees tight ball handling in heavy traffic & one handed brutal dunks within 3 feet of the Basket.
    -Nobody in the history of NBA can match this combo of Brutal force, height, wingspan, hand size & position. NOBODY !!!

I'll take it. Atleast 1 title is GUARANTEED (probably even 2 titles)!

with MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, I am not GUARANTEED I can win atleast 1 title without Building a perfect team around them.
    Not ever big guy is guaranteed a success either. Look at Thabeet and Oden.

We're looking at potentially, Kareem not only has the college success backing but also size and skills too. Laettner's success was more to due with the school he went to than his skills.

And like I said, Kareem's probably the only one you can make a case to pick over Shaq. That's actually saying a lot considering how many other all-time greats there are to pick.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Shaq would be so much easier to build around, he will take his team to the playoffs no matter whom you surround him with. A team of Shaq + a legit NBA starter + 3 D-leaguers are still a playoff team. Can't say the same thing for Jordan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    It would be a crazy pick in the 80's, or 90's. It was always common to go with a potentially great Big man over a potentially great perimeter player.

Things have changed over the past 10 years or so, and all because of Jordan. He made this league a perimeter superstar league. Nowadays, you have perimeter players hyped as much, or more than big's. In '03 alone, we got LeBron, Wade and Melo. Recent years, we got Durant, Rose and Wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Chamberlain has half the rings Shaq has and yet he's a "far better center" than Shaq? I want a player that dominates in the Playoffs and Finals during the modern era.
    Wilt had a few bad playoff games in his career - a very few - but he ALWAYS carried a full load of wood for teammates. The only truly stacked team he ever had was the '67 Sixers - that same team was ruined with injuries in the '68 playoffs.

Meanwhile that dominating Shaq...................................
    1993-94 Indiana Pacers [COLOR="Red"]sweep [/COLOR]Orlando Magic in first round
    1994-95 Houston Rockets [COLOR="Red"]sweep[/COLOR] Orlando Magic in NBA Finals
    1995-96 Chicago Bulls [COLOR="Red"]sweep [/COLOR]Orlando Magic in Eastern Conference Finals
    1997-98 Utah Jazz [COLOR="Red"]sweep[/COLOR] Los Angeles Lakers in Western Conference Finals
    1998-99 San Antonio Spurs [COLOR="Red"]sweep[/COLOR] Los Angeles Lakers in Western Conference
    2006-07 Chicago Bulls [COLOR="Red"]sweep[/COLOR] Miami Heat in first round

Rings are won by teams, no question, but Chamberlain was always able to drag teams along behind him while Shaq had a lot dismal playoff failures even with some great teammates.

National High School Star

disagree brother!

Laettner was never the GOAT college player. Mentioning him in the same breath as Alcindor is ridiculous. Attempting to equate a "success story" to GOAT level is only something people with agendas would do, as they're only interested in proving their "point" and thus don't have an issue with taking liberties with the truth.

If you look at the college GOATs, Alcindor, Walton, Russell and Robertson, they were all all-time greats in the NBA as well, with the only note being that Walton's greatness was limited to a couple of seasons due to injury, but during that brief period he was an all-time great. (On an aside, it's also a more compelling argument when a player's dominance extends to multiple levels of play. If you dominate in college and continue to dominate once you get to the pros, being a GOAT candidate on both levels, that's definitely a plus as it means their dominance is transcedent.)

Troll who tries to provoke you

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    Not ever big guy is guaranteed a success either. Look at Thabeet and Oden.

Did you deliberately skip the HIGHLIGHTED with BOLD I typed ??

Many here missing the whole point IMO

Guys.....You Draft someone on GUANRANTEED POTENTIAL

HUGE EXAMPLE IN THE NBA:

SHAQ was selected 50 greatest players ever to play the game in 1997.

By 1997. Shaq had

-NO Reg Season MVPs
    -NO FMVPs
    -NO Scoring titles
    -NO Blocks titles
    -NO DPOY
    -Lost 1995 NBA Finals badly!

Despite pathetic resume, no one ever questioned Shaq's Top 50 players ever spot like they questioned Scottie Pippen's as 'Nique was Excluded.

Everyone who voted Shaq in the Top 50 players Ever in 1997 new one thing.

Shaq is a GUARANTEED MULTIPLE TITLES in near future in his peak prime. Its just a matter of "WHEN" & with which franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    Laettner was never the GOAT college player. Mentioning him in the same breath as Alcindor is ridiculous. Attempting to equate a "success story" to GOAT level is only something people with agendas would do, as they're only interested in proving their "point" and thus don't have an issue with taking liberties with the truth.

If you look at the college GOATs, Alcindor, Walton, Russell and Robertson, they were all all-time greats in the NBA as well, with the only note being that Walton's greatness was limited to a couple of seasons due to injury, but during that brief period he was an all-time great. (On an aside, it's also a more compelling argument when a player's dominance extends to multiple levels of play. If you dominate in college and continue to dominate once you get to the pros, being a GOAT candidate on both levels, that's definitely a plus as it means their dominance is transcedent.)
    +1