Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Does Kyrie Irving have the most complete scoring skill set since kobe.

It's hard for a PG to be the most complete scorer because they rarely operate out of the post. But he's up there for sure. Unreal game. You can't teach what he has. He was just blessed. Some guys just have that extra game that's not teachable. Like Curry's shot and release.

Default Re: Does Kyrie Irving have the most complete scoring skill set since kobe.

Oh shit, WayOfWade

Quote Originally Posted by retaxis
    Kyrie has no post game so thats half the 'scoring skill set' gone.

Otherwise as an off the dribble player he can create options like the best of them
    Yes he does he just rarely plays players smaller than himself. When he gets a mouse in the house he posts up and he's good at it.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retaxis
    Kyrie has no post game so thats half the 'scoring skill set' gone.

Otherwise as an off the dribble player he can create options like the best of them
    He actually does have a perfectly decent post game. You'll see him use it most frequently when he seals off smaller, slower defenders around the basket while running sets off the ball and through screens. His footwork with his back to the basket is almost as good as it is driving to the hoop. He just doesn't use it nearly as much because he is a point guard. I'm not saying he is Mark Jackson in the post, but he undoubtedly possesses a skill set down there.

The other thing people underestimate is his size. For some reason, people think he is short, but 6-foot-3 gives him an advantage in that department over a lot of PGs in the league.

As for the comparison, I don't really think it fits other than both guys having aesthetically pleasing skill sets. Kobe was one of the most athletic players in the league in his younger years. Kyrie isn't a chump athletically, because coordination, being able to change directions with great speed and having an explosive first step are all factors in athleticism, but Kobe had more of the in your face running and jumping kind of athletic game in his prime.

Kyrie has maybe the best handle I have ever seen and basically stepped into the league as an elite long range shooter. Those are things that Kobe took some time to develop.

Kobe is one of the greatest pure scorers in NBA history. If Kyrie could some day approach that level of offensive dominance while maintaining his efficiency, it would be scary... but Kobe is a pretty rare breed of player.

I actually feel bad for Irving. He needs a better star player to play with because bronna is going to ruin his career.

Yeah, at the PG position he can do almost anything. He can shoot, he can handle, he can break down the D. But can he create for his teammates? Can he defend a tough PG? He's young so I will give him time. But knowing that he will have to share PG duties with Lebron, it will stunt his growth at the position. I'm sure he'd rather split time at the position for playoff success, and he could learn some things from Lebron. The talent is there.

Cali Love

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Feeny
    Put the pipe down, boy. At his very athletic peak, Kobe had a 3i inch vehicle and an extremely slow first step.
    Don't embarrass yourself by putting him on Durants level from an athletic standpoint.

And yes, Durant, iis infintantly more complete than Kobe ever was offensively.
    GTFO you need to hop off lebron's dick for real

are you the same guy that said lebron is a better passer than Magic in the halfcourt?

did you ever watch a peak kobe you moron

Quote Originally Posted by brownmamba00
    GTFO you need to hop off lebron's dick for real

are you the same guy that said lebron is a better passer than Magic in the halfcourt?

did you ever watch a peak kobe you moron

Please provide proof that I ever said that. If you can't then don't bother returning to this forum. There's nothing worse than a bunch of kids lierally making up stuff.

As far as Kobe goes, I watched Jordan in his pomp so I definitely got to watch the entirety of Kobe's career (you've been watching since 2007) and I don't think he's an elite player. You're allowed your opinion. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to agree with it.

Now please provide proof of what you're randomly throwing around. I suspect that your a bit too much of a sissy to do so. Prove me wrong, please.

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    Does he have a more complete offensive skill set than prime Dwyane Wade? I'm too biased to give an educated answer, but I'd be hard pressed to say that he does
    I'm not a Wade fan or a Kobe fan and I can tell you Kobe never had anything close to Wade's first step at any point of his career. Never had the slashing ability, the acceleration, the quickness, the change of direction or the finishing at the rim. Definteltly never had the IQ of Wade. That's axiomatic enough.

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

Put the pipe down, boy. At his very athletic peak, Kobe had a 3i inch vehicle and an extremely slow first step.
    Don't embarrass yourself by putting him on Durants level from an athletic standpoint.

jesus, all this disdain for kobe has you losing your mind. Your intelligence has fallen to college years eric mathews.

with God-given ass JimmyMcAdocious's Avatar

I'd argue for CP3.

imo, the best mid game for a PG with perhaps the best elbow jumper in the entire NBA (pretty sure I saw a stat he scores the most off pull ups of any player), at least top 5 post PG and probably higher, finishes in the lane pretty well, and a very good shooter stretching to perimeter. Career .474/.364.861 with arguably his best percentages last season ~49/40/90. Truly elite handles and his efficiency is historically good to boot. Tho the latter is more about his complete offensive game than pure scoring ability. Flawless fundamentals...

Just has a different approach to the game than a Steph or Kyrie. We talking overall repertoire, right? The only thing CP3 can't do is get past the second round.
    Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious; 07-31-2015 at 02:19 PM.

Good college starter

I'm not a Wade fan or a Kobe fan and I can tell you Kobe never had anything close to Wade's first step at any point of his career. Never had the slashing ability, the acceleration, the quickness, the change of direction or the finishing at the rim. Definteltly never had the IQ of Wade. That's axiomatic enough.

Kobe had a 3 inch "vehicle"? How the heck do you think he dunked over 7'5" Yao? With a 3 inch "vehicle" he wouldnt be able to dunk over Kidd least Yao or Dwight.

Durant just tall, that's it.

Ps: is English your first language? You make a lot of grammatical horrors when writing.

Please provide proof that I ever said that. If you can't then don't bother returning to this forum. There's nothing worse than a bunch of kids lierally making up stuff.

As far as Kobe goes, I watched Jordan in his pomp so I definitely got to watch the entirety of Kobe's career (you've been watching since 2007) and I don't think he's an elite player. You're allowed your opinion. Doesn't mean the rest of us have to agree with it.

Now please provide proof of what you're randomly throwing around. I suspect that your a bit too much of a sissy to do so. Prove me wrong, please.
    What pomp are you talking about?

Nuggets/Avs/Broncos. NuggetsFan's Avatar

I don't think so. I've been hard on Kyrie but the one thing I will say is he came into the league as one of the more complete players, especially for this era were alot of guys don't stay in school and come out raw. Reminds me of Brandon Roy, and obviously to a much lesser extent Duncan.

Since his 2nd year in the league, the past 3 seasons he's scored between 21-22 points every year. Shot 45, 43, 47 from the field. 39, 36, 41 from 3. 85, 86, 86 from the line. What's crazy? His attempts are 4.9, 4.8, 4.9 from the FT line. He can shoot the 3, finish in traffic, beats guys off the dribble. Only thing he's really missing is elite athletic ability and getting to the line at an elite level.