Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Default Re: Kareem vs. Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn
    ShaqAttack was posting RealGM a year ago. But I guess he doesn't have the time for all-time talks any more. He hasn't been so active. fpliii is active there tho and sometimes I visit the site for him.

Actually I tried RealGM myself, too. Basketball talk is better there but they have serious numbers of people that are obsessed with "advanced stats" and they can suggest that Moses is inferior player to Nowitzki just because those advanced stats say so. I used strong words about their approach and got the f out there. I like ISH better, at least I'm not considering quitting on ISH.
    Good man.

Anyone that thinks Dirk Nowitski > Moses Malone needs to hear some strong words and then go sit in the corner. Because they are out in the weeds.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Kareem is obviously ranked higher all-time, but Moses Malone always seemed to outplayed Kareem during the early 80's.

It's funny, every time Moses went up against Robert Parish, Parish always seemed to outplay Malone, his defense always had Moses confused on the offensive end. While Kareem always seemed to destroy Parish in their H2H matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Kareem is obviously ranked higher all-time, but Moses Malone always seemed to outplayed Kareem during the early 80's.

It's funny, every time Moses went up against Robert Parish, Parish always seemed to outplay Malone, his defense always had Moses confused on the offensive end. While Kareem always seemed to destroy Parish in their H2H matchups.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=parisro01

Not very many games in which Parish outplayed Moses.

I'll give him their '85 playoff series H2H (and Moses was on the decline by then), but before that, it was pretty much one-sided.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...1&p2=parisro01

Not very many games in which Parish outplayed Moses.

I'll give him their '85 playoff series H2H (and Moses was on the decline by then), but before that, it was pretty much one-sided.
    Alot of missing stats there.

Parish pretty much shut him down in the '81 Finals and outplayed him in the '85 playoffs. There is also a chunk of games in the mid 80's where Malone shot terrible against Boston. Out of all the Centers in the 80's you can say Parish contained Moses the best.

Quote Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
    Alot of missing stats there.

Parish pretty much shut him down in the '81 Finals and outplayed him in the '85 playoffs. There is also a chunk of games in the mid 80's where Malone shot terrible against Boston. Out of all the Centers in the 80's you can say Parish contained Moses the best.
    Lots of missing stats with Kareem as well, at least in mainstream sites. For example, Kareem had a few games in the early 80's when he'd only play for few minutes (for his standards) which bring his stats vs Malone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Lots of missing stats with Kareem as well, at least in mainstream sites. For example, Kareem had a few games in the early 80's when he'd only play for few minutes (for his standards) which bring his stats vs Malone down.
    Yes Kareem had a few games where he didn't play the whole game because of injury/ejection. That does skew the numbers in favor of Moses.

We have complete data for Kareem vs. Moses though. All of their H2H's have points, rebounds, assists, and FG%. Even blocks for well over two thirds of the games.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by dankok8
    We have all the full stats except blocked shots.

Kareem vs. Moses H2H

Regular Season (34 games)

Kareem: 22.0 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.4 apg, 3.0 bpg (24 games) on 54.5 %FG in 35.4 mpg
    Moses: 25.3 ppg. 15.2 rpg, 1.5 apg, 1.9 bpg (23 games) on 51.9 %FG in 40.6 mpg

Playoffs (7 games)

Kareem: 24.9 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 3.4 apg, 2.4 bpg on 50.8 %FG in 41.3 mpg
    Moses: 28.1 ppg, 18.1 rpg, 2.4 apg, 1.6 bpg (5 games) on 50.0 %FG in 42.7 mpg

When you realize all these match-ups were between a 22-34 year old Moses (in his prime/peak for basically all of that span) vs. a 30-42 year old Kareem (out of his prime for most of that span) you start thinking that how close the numbers are is a testament to Kareem's greatness not ammunition to tear down his legacy.

What would the numbers be like if it was 22-34 year old Kareem vs. a 30-42 year old Moses?
    Kareem far more skilled and dificult to guard with height advantage resulted in higher FG% (even at old age - asked Hakeem). The work horse Malone superior rebounder and at his prime dificult to be handled by past his prime Kareem. Kareem was capable of playing defense, even got some rebounds but his style is different from Malone.

If 22-34 Kareem played vs 30-42 year old Moses it would be masacre. While Kareem was still elite at 34 Malone was washed up in his late 30s, hardly imagine he could stay in the league till 42 as he ended at 39.

Prime Kareem vs prime Malone - I would give an edge to Kareem again, but not by far. Kareem will be ahead of ppg FG%, assists and blocks with possiibly a tie at rebounding or slight advantage for Malone. Prime Malone would get his 25 ppg, 17 rpg anyway vs Kareem.