Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: JR Smith resigns with Knicks

jr sucks but it's still a good deal for the knicks. way below his market value and he is serviceable enough to start at the two. he needs to stop chucking though or i'm going to continue to prefer the idea of getting a less talented, smarter player.

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    He'll still only be 27 next off-season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 5-year $32 million deal for Smith if he plays well this season. Maybe even more
    Brand new CBA in place to limit/scare teams from those type of deals for role players. Any team doing a deal like that for JR Smith is going to regret it by mid-way in Year 1. It's more likely he'd get something at 3/$15 Million and that's if he has a good season.

If he gets as much money as you're expecting than it will surely be from Dolan.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Rowe
    Brand new CBA in place to limit/scare teams from those type of deals for role players. Any team doing a deal like that for JR Smith is going to regret it by mid-way in Year 1. It's more likely he'd get something at 3/$15 Million and that's if he has a good season.

If he gets as much money as you're expecting than it will surely be from Dolan.
    I'm not expecting big money for Smith, I just wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. The new CBA was supposed to provide disincentives for the kind of bad contracts given in the last 5 years... but that isn't necessarily how it will play out.

Like I said, if Smith has a good year and demands decent money, the Knicks (who will be well over the luxury tax threshold) will have a difficult decision to make. They can either pay Smith over-market-value, or try to to fill his role with the tax-payer mini-MLE and vet-min guys.

Who's to say a team like Detroit, Minnesota (god help us), Washington, or Phoenix, won't offer a 4-year $23 million guaranteed at Smith??

knicks might sign his brother

sign martin next and then mardy collins

Good god what a moron..

National High School Star NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar

POWER MOVE! Thanks for the loyalty JR, well hook you up with a nice 4 year deal next season.

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    He'll still only be 27 next off-season, so I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a 5-year $32 million deal for Smith if he plays well this season. Maybe even more
    Some misinformation:

1. Knicks did not have JR Smith's Bird rights this summer. They only have what is called "Non-Bird rights", which means JR can only get a 20% raise from Knicks. And that's what he got, $2.9 million for first year.

2. Knicks ARE over the cap before signing Smith, but it doesn't matter. They could sign JR even though over the cap, because of the Non-Bird rights.

3. JR has an opt out next offseason. Because then, with 2 years with Knicks, JR Smith will have "Early Bird rights". Early Bird rights means you can sign a player to any amount up to the mid-level salary (essentially MLE money). So NEXT offseason, they can give JR Smith up to whatever the MLE is (probably $5 million a year or so).

4. So next offseason, JR CANNOT get max money or close with the Knicks. He still will be limited to MLE type money if he opts out.

5. JR Smith takes too many ridiculous isolation shots, and Woodson encourages it, which drives bagelred insane.

There. Just needed to clear some things up.

Local High School Star The Ownage's Avatar

Not a big fan of JR but this deal is a no brainer. Thanks JR

Good deal for the Knicks. He is making half of what Crawford is going to make and only 1 year guaranteed vs. 2

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

How much money do the Knicks have to spend to fill out their roster? Do they still have the bi annual exception? If so, they should target Bellenelli, Jodie Meeks, or even Mike Redd

ILL WILL RUNS NYC WhySoInsecure?'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCPG
    How much money do the Knicks have to spend to fill out their roster? Do they still have the bi annual exception? If so, they should target Bellenelli, Jodie Meeks, or even Mike Redd
    I don't think the bi annual exception exists anymore.
    All we have left is the min and Dan Gadzuric to trade.

I still think we could pick up some decent players later in the offseason. More guys will get cut because of the luxury tax and guys like Brand/Jamison/Martin might be willing to come over for the minimum. Then you have the failures like Josh Howard and Jonny Flyyn who might also be forced to sign for dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCPG
    Yup Knicks need a shooting guard to backup Smith until Shump's healthy. Redd could be an interesting pickup, but the one thing we need is health....so.....

Quote Originally Posted by zac
    $2.8mil total for 2 years? Or $2.8 per year? At 2 years, that seems low.
    Wow.....who the fk is his agent......he should be fired!!!!!

Clipperbockers fail again