Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    College superstar

Default Re: Is Curry really the GOAT shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    People gotta stop thinking (overall) shooting is just about 3pt-shooting.

Korver, to me, can't be mentioned amongst the VERY BEST shooters ever, he doesn't have the volume, not enough post-season production, can't create his own shot like some other dudes, never ever averaged over 15 PPG... He's one of the best shooters ever - especially pure shooter, but just can't be mentioned with the likes of Curry, Bird, Dirk, Nash, Allen, Miller, Durant, Ellis... imho.

Talking about peaks, I'd say Curry has a great case for GOAT shooter, he has the volume and productivity, can create his own shot (beast off the dribble), makes some ridiculous shots time and time again, can do it in many ways from many places... But it gets very hard to name just one, and it's very subjective... So I couldn't definitely say it's him.
    So, if you took out all his FT's, all his 2 point shots. Curry this postseason is averaging 5 made 3's per game which comes out to 15ppg based solely on 3's. He's shooting 44.9%.

To put this into perspective: He's made more 3's per game in these playoffs than Steve Nash has taken on average in any of his seasons.

His 15 ppg off 3's puts him .7 ppg above Nash' career ppg and just 2.3 behind him in career playoff ppg.

I really don't think this can be argued.

Scm, Shaqisgoat, and ImKobe all with 3 really good reads + arguments.

Good stuff fellas...

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    People gotta stop thinking (overall) shooting is just about 3pt-shooting.

Korver, to me, can't be mentioned amongst the VERY BEST shooters ever, he doesn't have the volume, not enough post-season production, can't create his own shot like some other dudes, never ever averaged over 15 PPG... He's one of the best shooters ever - especially pure shooter, but just can't be mentioned with the likes of Curry, Bird, Dirk, Nash, Allen, Miller, Durant, Ellis... imho.

Talking about peaks, I'd say Curry has a great case for GOAT shooter, he has the volume and productivity, can create his own shot (beast off the dribble), makes some ridiculous shots time and time again, can do it in many ways from many places... But it gets very hard to name just one, and it's very subjective... So I couldn't definitely say it's him.
    Yeah you're probably right. But at a certain point, a guy has to get credit for .497 on 6 attempts. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Much better than a guy like Kerr. But not as difficult as Allen's or Nash's. I also don't think Dirk should be listed with the rest. GOAT for a big man, but there are better. Durant too.

Ray Allen was on Curry's level for some years, but not nearly as consistent.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Yeah you're probably right. But at a certain point, a guy has to get credit for .497 on 6 attempts. I mean you have to draw the line somewhere. Much better than a guy like Kerr. But not as difficult as Allen's or Nash's. I also don't think Dirk should be listed with the rest. GOAT for a big man, but there are better. Durant too.

Ray Allen was on Curry's level for some years, but not nearly as consistent.
    Curry's shot is so unique because of his release and how little lift he gets. Ray Allen gets pretty high on his jumpers and he doesn't release the ball as he's going up, rather right at the peak his jump. This makes it less consistent than Curry's shot and especially less consistent as he gets more tired.

NBA Legend

Yes, Curry is already the greatest three point shooter hands down.

He's not only breaking a bunch of the records for three point shooting, he's then going and breaking his own newly set records.

The NBA has never, ever seen shooting like this. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    So, if you took out all his FT's, all his 2 point shots. Curry this postseason is averaging 5 made 3's per game which comes out to 15ppg based solely on 3's. He's shooting 44.9%.

To put this into perspective: He's made more 3's per game in these playoffs than Steve Nash has taken on average in any of his seasons.

His 15 ppg off 3's puts him .7 ppg above Nash' career ppg and just 2.3 behind him in career playoff ppg.

I really don't think this can be argued.
    Not denying that that isn't just great but why should we remove those "things" even? Like I've said, shooting's not just about 3pt-shooting.

You got 3pt-shooting along many spots across the 3pt-line, you gotta account for how deep is one's range even beyond that line, got many areas/spots from mid-range which is very importnt, FT shooting, in the paint even...
    Then you got ability to create your own shot, off-the-dribble, ability to hit contested jumpers, catch-n-shoot, spotting up, pull-up in transition, stepbacks, even stuff like faders from the post, consider ability to shoot under pressure too...
    With all that said, Curry has a very good case for GOAT shooter when you take everything into account, even productivity/volume, but it's extremely hard to name just one and there are (few) others who could be placed above him too.

You could say there were others better from mid-range and/or the FT line.
    You got some others who were better at directly contested jumpers.
    His longevity is still mediocre, he still got ways to go.
    Other great shooter have had better than 24 PPG scoring seasons (Curry's best right now).
    You can bring up dudes who were clutcher.
    You can bring up stuff like some players not coming up, or even playing at pro level, with the 3pt-line, or dudes who were playing in a time where it wasn't nearly as emphasized.
    You can say that Steph wouldn't be as good during hand-checking era in a non-guard oriented league, or even not as effective with stuff such as defenders clutching to his arm when he shoots or scratching, when nowadays you can't even slighlty touch a player while he's shooting.
    But, again, he does have a great case for GOAT shooter. Makes it more amazing that he's not even 6'3 and not an elite athlete, although his great ball-handling helps him a lot.

Is Curry really the GOAT shooter?
    IMO he is. Very clearly.

If you disagree,

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Like, I can see him being up there off-the-dribble, but overall? Steve Nash and Kyle Korver both have cases over him. And they're not the only ones.
    What are Nash's and Korver's case over him?

He scores way more 3's than both. Has better 3 point percentage than both.
    He is a better free throw shooter than Korver, and slightly worse than Nash over their career, though will most likely catch up to him.

He has the record for most 3's in a seasons. And he is second to his own record...

No one has a case.

Larry Bird is.

I know because unlike most of you, I actually saw Bird play in the 80s.

Over the last 3 seasons Curry has made 819 threes shooting 44%. When you take into account accuracy and volume nobody has ever done what Curry is doing, or even gotten close.

For his age he is definitely the best 3 pt shooter ever. As far as shooting overall it is tougher to call.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    What are Nash's and Korver's case over him?

He scores way more 3's than both. Has better 3 point percentage than both.
    He is a better free throw shooter than Korver, and slightly worse than Nash over their career, though will most likely catch up to him.

He has the record for most 3's in a seasons. And he is second to his own record...

No one has a case.
    Nash career ORtg>Curry

Nash has 4 50/40/90 seasons, Curry has zero
    Last edited by Chadwin; 05-26-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwin
    Nash career ORtg>Curry

Nash's offensive impact is so underrated. By the numbers he has had the greatest offensive impact ever among PGs.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chadwin
    Nash career ORtg>Curry

ortg

fuccing nash nerds I swear, don't know shit about ball

No because he gets exposed as just another shooter in the following scenarios:

*When it matters most.

*When defense focuses on him.

*When he doesn't run someone through at least 2 illegal holds/screens.

*4th quarters in the NBA Finals.

*NBA Finals stages in general.

*When Kevin Love guards him 1 on 1.

*When Tristan Thompson guards him 1 on 1.

*When Mathew Dellavedova guards him 1 on 1.

*When LeBron James is chasing him in transition.

3 points in the 4th quarter of game 7 NBA Finals. 0 points in the final 7 minutes. Only lost by 4 points. More turnovers than assists all series. 22ppg on 40FG% all series. We were all premature crowning him as anything but an elite 3 point shooter in the SYSTEM his team gives him.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 06-20-2016 at 05:16 PM.