Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Default Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo 3 point shooting bet.

Bam Adebayo is not the ideal center for an NBA team in the year 2019. Which is to say he doesn’t shoot three-pointers. In fact, since making it to the pros in 2017, he’s attempted just 28 shots from behind the arc total. Four of them have gone in.

Jimmy Butler, the Heat superstar known for his intensity, is trying to change that. Not by getting in extra practice reps, or connecting Adebayo with a coach to help work on his stroke or even texting him some YouTube tutorials.

This is Jimmy Butler, after all. So the punishment for Adebayo’s lack of shooting must meet the standards of a man who once took on the Timberwolves’ starters in practice and dominated them with third-stringers before forcing his way to a new franchise.

And, boy, does it ever. For every game Adebayo plays without attempting a three-pointer, the 22-year-old on a rookie contract has to pay Butler $500. No exceptions.

The flip side? Butler is on the hook for the same amount should Adebayo take one. Those seem like pretty amazing odds for Butler given Adebayo’s career 14.3 field goal percentage from three.

For his part, Adebayo is totally game.

“Yeah, he’s making me a bet,” Adebayo told media in Miami. “It’s whatever. As long as we keep winning, I don’t really care about that.”

That being said, Adebayo did have a complaint about losing the bet against Washington on Friday night. En route to a career-high 24-point performance, Adebayo found himself all alone in the corner while Butler had the ball. Only Butler didn’t pass to his center, robbing him of the opportunity to win that evening’s bet

“If you see him wide open in the corner and I don’t throw him the ball, you know it’s because I don’t want to give him $500.” Butler joked.

The Kentucky product may have to wait a bit before attempting to win his money back from Butler, however.

Adebayo was placed on Miami’s injury report ahead of Saturday night’s matchup with the Chicago Bulls and is questionable after suffering a groin contusion against Washington.

Whenever he does take the floor next, look for him to space it out a bit more than usual.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:26 PM   #2
RRR3
L3gacy

Default Re: Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo 3 point shooting bet.

Bam is an ideal modern center, actually. He can guard 1-5. Absolutely ELITE defender and supremely athletic with a high IQ. Having him shoot 3s is pointless.
RRR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
red1
raptors

bam is athletic kid makes good plays for his team always plays well when I see him. heat overall look good this year they'll keep their top 4 seed in the east
red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
BasedTom
Dream Reality

bam's great and i can see him as an allstar...but his fieldgoal efficiency needs to go up across the board.

I'm kinda okay with this because I know Jimmy and Bam have this bromance thing going on and it's all good fun. Still though, i feel like he has a long way to go before I don't instinctively reel seeing him try to shoot, much less from beyond the arc. might be the reason Jimmy's pushing this to begin with
BasedTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #5
PeroAntic
Youngest MVP

Jimmy is life
PeroAntic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #6
RRR3
L3gacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedTom
bam's great and i can see him as an allstar...but his fieldgoal efficiency needs to go up across the board.

I'm kinda okay with this because I know Jimmy and Bam have this bromance thing going on and it's all good fun. Still though, i feel like he has a long way to go before I don't instinctively reel seeing him try to shoot, much less from beyond the arc. might be the reason Jimmy's pushing this to begin with
He’s shooting 57.1% from the field what more do you want, Jesus.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Smoke117
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR3
Bam is an ideal modern center, actually. He can guard 1-5. Absolutely ELITE defender and supremely athletic with a high IQ. Having him shoot 3s is pointless.

I'd say the ability to switch and defend the perimeter players is a lot more important than the ability to shoot 3pters for a modern center. It's still the most important defensive position in the league. Heat are 5th in defense and Bam is the defensive anchor of the team. That's far more important than him being able to shoot some 3pters. They'd be a much worse team if he was a really good 3pt shooter who could spread the floor, but his defense was trash.
Smoke117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:44 PM   #8
RRR3
L3gacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
I'd say the ability to switch and defend the perimeter players is a lot more important than the ability to shoot 3pters for a modern center. It's still the most important defensive position in the league. Heat are 5th in defense and Bam is the defensive anchor of the team. That's far more important than him being able to shoot some 3pters. They'd be a much worse team if he was a really good 3pt shooter who could spread the floor, but his defense was trash.
10000000% this.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: