Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Default Re: who is the Best Post Player ever?

Mark Jackson, Cassell, and Billups deserves a mention. Probably no where close to top 10 though.

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    1. Hakeem
    2. Jordan
    3. Duncan
    4. Barkley
    5. Shaq
    no mchale?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Ledouche
    Shaq.
    If you consider "Lower left shoulder into defender in a charge that would be called against anyone else" and "Lower right shoulder into defender in a charge that would be called against anyone else" as individual low post moves, Shaq would have a total of 4.

Quote Originally Posted by veilside23
    best player with the best post moves?

is it really olajuwon?
    The Title conflicts with the above.

The best post player ever was Wilt Chamberlain.
    Technically he had the best post moves, pretty hard to debate otherwise as he averaged 50ppg one season playing in the post.

As to had the most moves or was the most skilled but didn't average 50ppg, it's probably McHale with Olajuwon a close second. However Olajuwon was a better overall offensive player due to his greater athleticism IMO. He could really finish well with powerful dunks.

Mchale and Hakeem are the only possible players for Top1-2. Who comes on Top is personal choice, some go with Dream, some with McHale.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    If you consider "Lower left shoulder into defender in a charge that would be called against anyone else" and "Lower right shoulder into defender in a charge that would be called against anyone else" as individual low post moves, Shaq would have a total of 4.
    You are probably joking, but Shaq had a variety of post moves. Otherwise he would be Stanley Roberts.

Short hook. Drop step. Baseline fadeaway. Awkward fadeway/one handed push shot to middle. Seal, overpower and slam over left... seal, overpower and slam over right. Up and under baseline, up and under middle. Turn and face, jab and drive baseline and middle. Seal and spin for the alley oop. Probably more.

Shaq had quite some moves, especially when he had his mobility, but yeah - his skillset was nowhere near of Dream/Mchale.

Rodman used to joke about Shaq: "He has two moves - dunk with one hand, and dunk with two hands."

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Hakeem. Kareem. Mchale.

Wilt probably as well, but I didn't see him play.

Someone said Barkley
    Charles may be the best scorer and finisher of all time in the paint, though that includes more than just post ups.

Good High School Starter jcsrplumply's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harison
    Shaq had quite some moves, especially when he had his mobility, but yeah - his skillset was nowhere near of Dream/Mchale.

Rodman used to joke about Shaq: "He has two moves - dunk with one hand, and dunk with two hands."
    Even Shaq said he had like 2-3 moves and admitted that Patrick Ewing,David Robinson,Tim Duncan, and even Rik Smits had more moves than him in the post.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Ah, I see. I was replying to the title which was just "Best Post Player ever". In that case, I'd say Shaq.

As far as best moves go, it would be Olajuwon or Mchale.

Troll who tries to provoke you

its a toss up btw

Mchale, olajuwon, Jordan

Hakeem and it's not even debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    McHale??????
    My thoughts exactly.

Hakeem's game looked fancier, prettier. But that doesn't make him the best exactly. He has a case. A strong case. That's for sure. But I'd say it's KAJ or McHale. Hakeem was a ball-dominant player compared to other bigs. And I think being a ball-dominant player is not a good thing for a big.

PS: As for 'best post player ever', do not say some BS about Shaq. He scored, he drew fouls, he got more double teams than any other player in the history probably, he kicked the ball to shooters greatly. What else do you want from a post player?
    Last edited by Odinn; 05-08-2013 at 08:13 PM.