Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    College star

Default Re: 90s vs 00s all time great. Who wins?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    If it comes down to redundancy, as hard as this is, I would take Wade in favor of TMac. Tmac's skillset seems more redundant when you have Kobe on the team, Wade gives you a different look with his elite slashing skills( though Tmac was obviously no slouch there).
    TMac has 7 All-NBA selections to Wade's 4, so removing him is no option going by my criteria. It's between Pierce, Wallace and Wade (4 each). Wade also is clearly an inferior player compared to prime TMac.

I agree that the 90's overall didn't have consistent 2-guards over the course of a decade. Richmond was a better overall player than Reggie, but I would take Reggie in this situation. He was a better big-time performer and maybe even a harder cover due to how mobile he was running through screens. He didn't have the scoring skillset of the 00's shooting guards but the constant movement wore you out over time, especially in terms of the opposing player's own offense.
    Reggie would certainly bother Kobe, forcing him to run around all game. But he would also be a far bigger liability on defense against Kobe/Tmac/AI. Richmond shot .428 from three on 6 shots in his best season and was a decent defender. Even if Reg was on par with All-NBA selection, I wouldn't give him the nod over the Rock.

I like your lineup defensively, but I would rather have D-Rob anchor the second unit, put Hakeem in there at center and Barkley/Malone at the PF spot.
    Depends on what style you wanna play. If you want to play high-pressure defense, force TOs und run fast-breaks, I would clearly go with Malone or Barkley (two of the best fast-breaking PFs ever). If the game is slow, Hakeem/DRob twin-towers would be my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    TMac has 7 All-NBA selections to Wade's 4, so removing him is no option going by my criteria. It's between Pierce, Wallace and Wade (4 each). Wade also is clearly an inferior player compared to prime TMac.

Your criteria excludes players that deservedly should be on the squad, if we go by peak play. Clyde, for example, should be on that 90's squad. He spent a number of years in the 80's but his peak came in the early 90's. He was also still very good as a second banana during the Rockets title run. I'd also disagree with you on Tmac, he has one season that ranked with Wade's best, that being in 2003. Wade didn't come into the league till 2003/2004, so having less all-NBA nods is a given( plus being injured between 2007 and 2008). Peakwise, Tmac was never better across the board than 2009 Wade. The only edge I give him is a more diverse offensive skillset, but Wade obviously was no slouch and posted multiple years of 26/27 + ppg on high percentages, topping out at 30 ppg to go with 7.5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block.

If we want to go by your criteria of All-NBA selections, it's a black and white way to create teams without resorting to more subjective 'who was better' debate. But I'm not sure that gives you the best overall squads.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 07-28-2015 at 09:29 AM.

I usually hit open layups

...some may disagree with my Pippen & Barkley starting jobs, as is their right...

PG Gary Payton (reserve: John Stockton) vs. Jason Kidd (reserve: Steve Nash)
    advantage: wash

SG Michael Jordan (reserve: Clyde Drexler, Reggie Miller) vs Kobe Bryant (reserve: Allen Iverson, Dwayne Wade)
    advantage: slight nod to Nineties

SF Scottie Pippen (reserve: Dominique Wilkins) vs LeBron James (reserve: Paul Pierce)
    advantage: slight nod to Noughties

PF Charles Barkley (reserve: Karl Malone) vs Tim Duncan (reserve: Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett)
    advantage: Noughties

C Hakeem Olajuwon (reserve: Patrick Ewing, David Robinson) vs C Shaquille O'Neal (reserve: Dwight Howard)
    advantage: Nineties

it would, needless to say, be the single greatest basketball game (or hopefully a series) ever played...

but I kinda think Team Noughties (4 top 10 players) would narrowly defeat (2 top 10 players) Team Nineties.. but no hard feelings Nineties, it's looking like you'd definitely beat Team Tens...
    Last edited by superteamtheory; 07-28-2015 at 09:40 AM.

College star

Your criteria excludes players that deservedly should be on the squad, if we go by peak play. Clyde, for example, should be on that 90's squad. He spent a number of years in the 80's but his peak came in the early 90's. He was also still very good as a second banana during the Rockets title run. I'd also disagree with you on Tmac, he has one season that ranked with Wade's best, that being in 2003. Wade didn't come into the league till 2003/2004, so having less all-NBA nods is a given( plus being injured between 2007 and 2008). Peakwise, Tmac was never better across the board than 2009 Wade. The only edge I give him is a more diverse offensive skillset, but Wade obviously was no slouch and posted multiple years of 26/27 + ppg on high percentages, topping out at 30 ppg to go with 7.5 assists, 5 rebounds, 2 steals and a block.

If we want to go by your criteria of All-NBA selections, it's a black and white way to create teams without resorting to more subjective 'who was better' debate. But I'm not sure that gives you the best overall squads.
    It's one way of many, but IMO the most objective way of assembling an All-Decade team. Careers that don't span the whole decade are disadvantaged, I give you that. We could go by a players prime, which would clearly put Clyde in the discussion instead of Mitch Richmond, but also move LeBron to the 00s.

Also, TMac was one of the most talented swingmen ever and in 2003 was as good as anyone not named MJ at the 2/3 spot. His offensive dominance was on par with that of Kobe in later years IMO. In the early 2000s the consensus top 5 were Kobe, TMac, KG, Duncan and Shaq.

It's one way of many, but IMO the most objective way of assembling an All-Decade team. Careers that don't span the whole decade are disadvantaged, I give you that. We could go by a players prime, which would clearly put Clyde in the discussion instead of Mitch Richmond, but also move LeBron to the 00s.

Also, TMac was one of the most talented swingmen ever and in 2003 was as good as anyone not named MJ at the 2/3 spot. His offensive dominance was on par with that of Kobe in later years IMO. In the early 2000s the consensus top 5 were Kobe, TMac, KG, Duncan and Shaq.
    Really, the same could be said of 2009 Wade though. 2003 Tmac was dynamic, no doubt, but at his best Wade was elite on both sides of the ball. Tmac wasn't a slouch defensively, but he wasn't the defender Wade was, and while Tmac had more scoring 'ability' in terms of skillset, there wasn't any dramatic difference in production. Tmac only has one season that eclipsed anything Wade did on offense, and that was strictly on sheer volume but on less efficiency. But really, the best move team-wise would be to have both, but that would mean relaxing on your 'number of all-NBA teams' criteria.

College superstar

As with all of these exercises, I question if we are doing team made up of the best players, or best team made up of great players.

I always prefer the second. Taking fit in to account.

Stockton//Payton
    Jordan//Reggie
    Pippen//Rice//Barkley
    Malone//Rodman
    Shaq//DRob//Hakeem

Coach -- Jackson

vs

Billups//Nash
    Kobe//Wade//Bowen
    Lebron//TMac
    Dirk//KG//Webber
    Duncan//Howard

Coach -- Pop

I think the 90s big man rotation wins out. 00s are more versatile, and a better shooting team, but I"m not sure they can overcome that post dominance.

LeChoke doesnt belong to 00s just like Shaq, who doesnt belong in the 90s.. Le2/6 was drafted in 03 at age 18 while Shaq was drafted in 92 at age 20.. Shaq first 2 years in the nba was far better than LeBrick 1st 2yrs in the NBA.. 90s Shaq >>> 00s LeShortcut and Shaq was not even consider a 90s player.. I think 90s Shaq was the Better version of Shaq far better than 00s Shaq.. Shaq just have Kobe in 00s thats why he looks more dominant but in reality 90s Shaq was better.. Kobe just made him looks dominant..

00s Team
    pg - JKidd - Nash
    Sg - Kobe - Carter
    Sf - Dirk - TMac
    Pf - KG - Duncan
    C - Shaq - Ben Wallace

90s Team
    pg - Stockton - Payton
    sg - Jordan - Drexler
    sf - Pippen - Mullin
    pf - Malone - Barkley
    C - Hakeem - Robinson

I think this is a very close match up and if they play in a 7 game series, I think 00s would win in 4 and its not even close..

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    90's
    PG: Stockton
    SG: Jordan
    SF: Pippen
    PF: Malone
    C: Hakeem

00's
    PG: Kidd
    SG: Kobe
    SF: LeBron
    PF: Duncan
    C: Shaq
    Those teams look much more accurate. I think 90s is overall better and more balanced, but it is close. LeBron would struggle against Pippen outside of the break.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    where does it say "#1-#10 or 1. to 10."

heres a list of pizza ingredients

pepperoni
    sausage
    green peppers
    olives
    onions
    bacon
    tomato sauce
    dough

is this now a ranking for the best ingredients ... or just a list

I see you on dat branslowski analogy wave bruh

College star

Really, the same could be said of 2009 Wade though. 2003 Tmac was dynamic, no doubt, but at his best Wade was elite on both sides of the ball. Tmac wasn't a slouch defensively, but he wasn't the defender Wade was, and while Tmac had more scoring 'ability' in terms of skillset, there wasn't any dramatic difference in production. Tmac only has one season that eclipsed anything Wade did on offense, and that was strictly on sheer volume but on less efficiency. But really, the best move team-wise would be to have both, but that would mean relaxing on your 'number of all-NBA teams' criteria.
    TMac had the kind of out-of-this-world games and moments that Wade just didn't have. Also, pre-Orlando he was considered an elite defensive player. I don't mean to say that he had a better career than Wade, but in terms of talent, potential and even actual performance in that one season he was clearly ahead of Wade.

TMac had the kind of out-of-this-world games and moments that Wade just didn't have. Also, pre-Orlando he was considered an elite defensive player. I don't mean to say that he had a better career than Wade, but in terms of talent, potential and even actual performance in that one season he was clearly ahead of Wade.
    Defense took a backseat once he hit Orlando, which isnt something you can really say about peak Wade and why I feel that puts Wade over him. Prime Wade was elite both offensively and defensively. Just because Tmac had a few 'OMG' moments doesnt equate to him being a better player. 2006,2007,2009, 2010 and 2011 Wade eclipses everything Tmac did, 2003 being the only season Tmac had which is on par with Wade's best seasons.

Talentwise, sure hes more naturally talented. One can make an argument that hes more naturally gifted than Kobe. Doesn't mean he was better at the end of the day. Close, but give me Wade's ability to impact both sides of the ball.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 07-28-2015 at 05:17 PM.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by pastis
    thats one of the worst comments ive ever seen here on ish.
    what even means out run him? do you watched dirk 04-07? 7footer crossover, 7footer dribbling, playing PG before he nails you the three in that grant hill 16ppg career

Prime Grant hill is much more agile and quick than Dirk. Do you really think dirk could guard him? Grant hill defensive can't be overlooked. He would give a lot of pressure on dirk due to his quickness and size. Grant hill>>dirk

Saw a basketball once

This 90s lineup will beat 2000s

PG Pippen
    SG Jordan
    SF Grant Hill
    PF Hakeem
    C Admiral

Bball IQ 90s > 00s
    Athleticism 90s > 00s
    3pt shooting 00s > 90s
    All around game 90s > 00s
    Defense 90s > 00s