Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BBallBreakdown - Two Handed Set Shot: How Basketball Was Played in the 50s

Coach Nick got on the court with Sheldon Seltzer, who played basketball at NYU in 1952 for legendary coach Howard Cann. Sheldon went through the fundamentals of the 2 handed set shot, the one handed push shot, and the running hook. A fascinating glimpse into the history of the game.

http://youtu.be/V-FBs0Ng5Gs

Default Re: BBallBreakdown - Two Handed Set Shot: How Basketball Was Played in the 50s

Coach Nick is an idiot.

Default Re: BBallBreakdown - Two Handed Set Shot: How Basketball Was Played in the 50s

wow this just proves 50s were a weak era.

HomieWeMajor
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

My 12 year old niece would be a HOFer in that era

Thats why Kobe > all those oldies

Excellent video, thanks for sharing.

I particularly enjoyed the comments about how the rules are different now with regards to walking. He's right, if the old rules were applied, we'd see 20+ travel calls every game.

Credit where credit is due: I used to dislike Coach Nick for some of his comments about old school basketball, especially regarding the dribbling. But he's a real fan of the game and you won't find many people going to such lengths to learn about 1950s basketball. He's a real student of the game, and I admire that.

"I haven't tried a hook shot in maybe 60 years" - quote of the day.

the dude was 5'7 and played ball back then. Probably wilts biggest competition

Sheldon says the push shot is not a shot seen all that much in today's game.

But isn't shot called "tear drop"?

CP3 uses this running shot as many combo/ point guards in today's game.

Overall the video had nice info. Thanks for sharing.

coach dick is noob

Joe Fulks invented jump shot, and was first to shoot with one hand. He played in same era as this two handed shooters.
    Last edited by duskovujosevic; 08-17-2014 at 04:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    Excellent video, thanks for sharing.

I particularly enjoyed the comments about how the rules are different now with regards to walking. He's right, if the old rules were applied, we'd see 20+ travel calls every game.

Credit where credit is due: I used to dislike Coach Nick for some of his comments about old school basketball, especially regarding the dribbling. But he's a real fan of the game and you won't find many people going to such lengths to learn about 1950s basketball. He's a real student of the game, and I admire that.

"I haven't tried a hook shot in maybe 60 years" - quote of the day.
    Coach Knick is biased and not always right, but he's 100% correct about the dribbling and shows video proof.

Self entitled coach dick sucks, stop watching his videos, it's better for you.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Coach Knick is biased and not always right, but he's 100% correct about the dribbling and shows video proof.
    Video proof? Remember him pointing or Jerry Wests dribbling once but he didn't know West had two sore thumbs.. Don't recall what he did to injure them but it it definitely hurt his dribbling

Quote Originally Posted by duskovujosevic
    coach dick is noob

Joe Fulks invented jump shot, and was first to shoot with one hand. He played in same era as this two handed shooters.
    Joe Fulks was definitely a pioneer of the jumpshot but was certainly not the first to shoot with one hand. It's hard to pinpoint exactly who deserves credit for that but, if anyone, the credit goes to Hank Luisetti.

Quote Originally Posted by jongib369
    Video proof? Remember him pointing or Jerry Wests dribbling once but he didn't know West had two sore thumbs.. Don't recall what he did to injure them but it it definitely hurt his dribbling

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

marc gasol does a 2 handed set shot from 19 feet out. we're in a weak era when he's a top center doing that ish