Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: cold showers are healthier?

Extremely effective.

A potent mood booster.

Also helps give the positive momentum to get outside of your comfort zone.

Used to have a bit of stage fright. Started pushing myself running and taking the cold and slowly but surely the anxiety dissipated.

Banned

I just tried it for the first time in a long time and let me tell you it was exhilarating. I don't know what the normal temperature is, it was cold but I didn't crank it all the way to the right. That would be just too cold.

How cold do you guys go?

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    I just tried it for the first time in a long time and let me tell you it was exhilarating. I don't know what the normal temperature is, it was cold but I didn't crank it all the way to the right. That would be just too cold.

How cold do you guys go?
    I had it running for about 2 minutes after the end of my warm shower today... about halfway to reaching all the way to the right.

Cold enough to speed up my breath and accelerate heart rate. I'll gradually work my way up to all the way to the right eventually. True Spartan OG status.

Quote Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY
    Extremely effective.

A potent mood booster.

Also helps give the positive momentum to get outside of your comfort zone.

Used to have a bit of stage fright. Started pushing myself running and taking the cold and slowly but surely the anxiety dissipated.
    It would be funny to have more testimonials like this.

"Cold showers eradicate stage fright".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    I had it running for about 2 minutes after the end of my warm shower today... about halfway to reaching all the way to the right.

Cold enough to speed up my breath and accelerate heart rate. I'll gradually work my way up to all the way to the right eventually. True Spartan OG status.
    Making me look like a wuss. I had it a quarter away from being all the way. I'm still feeling good and it's been an hour and a half but I was rinsing cold.

I will continue to do this and see how my well being is, as I will be pretty busy this month.

Didn't need lotion today, so it does help with my skin. Hair is bit shiny too.

the Sho Kosugi of ISH -p.tiddy-'s Avatar

I had never heard of this until this thread

sounds horrible but I want to give it a shot

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
    I had never heard of this until this thread

sounds horrible but I want to give it a shot
    It is like my 4 hour hiking trips. You come out as a man after accomplishing the task.

I've notice that while I am recovering after the cold shower earlier, I didn't need a jacket today. I think my body was shocked earlier with low temperature that anything not colder than the shower doesn't affect me.

2 things have proven to be right so far.

Mind over matter.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 02-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.

How cold are we talking here? The absolute coldest setting that the shower's got or what...

rank sentamentalist

i've had really bad sinus issues for a long time. probably caused or at the very least exacerbated by my smoking, which i'm still trying to quit. chanced are i'm allergic to the smoke.

but anyway it's literally its been about two years straight since i last remember being able to breathe naturally through my nose. tried a few over counter sprays, got a prescription, nothing has really worked.

the only two things that have legitimately worked over and over again are exercise and, surprisingly, cold showers. i started taking them every so often this past summer, i forget why, some BUILD CHARACTER AND FORTITUDE im sure. but it was really amazing. the only way i could comfortably manage to stay under the water was by completely relaxing my body and focusing on steady breathing... and by relaxing the posture of my shoulders and that sort of thing, my nasal passages very consistently opened up. i'm a pretty tense person physically so i guess it makes some sense

hard to get yourself to take em in the winter tho, especially right after waking up to a poorly insulated apt

Quote Originally Posted by bisk
    How cold are we talking here? The absolute coldest setting that the shower's got or what...
    Bitching ice cold. Too cold for the penguins in Antarctica cold. Only way to do it.

Two more benefits I'm noticing:

1. Decreased joint soreness (duh, cold fights inflammation)
    2. Nipples are at the hardest and best looking state

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i've had really bad sinus issues for a long time. probably caused or at the very least exacerbated by my smoking, which i'm still trying to quit. chanced are i'm allergic to the smoke.

but anyway it's literally its been about two years straight since i last remember being able to breathe naturally through my nose. tried a few over counter sprays, got a prescription, nothing has really worked.

the only two things that have legitimately worked over and over again are exercise and, surprisingly, cold showers. i started taking them every so often this past summer, i forget why, some BUILD CHARACTER AND FORTITUDE im sure. but it was really amazing. the only way i could comfortably manage to stay under the water was by completely relaxing my body and focusing on steady breathing... and by relaxing the posture of my shoulders and that sort of thing, my nasal passages very consistently opened up. i'm a pretty tense person physically so i guess it makes some sense

hard to get yourself to take em in the winter tho, especially right after waking up to a poorly insulated apt
    Nice testimonial. Thanks for sharing.

I have congestion issues too. They seemed to go away before I started cold shower therapy though. Hopefully cold showers will prevent them from ever coming back.

life after all is about enjoying things, and a good warm shower is one of the things i enjoy the most
    yeah cold showers might be healthier but so are millions other things that people dont do

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    umm duh, why do you think athletes take ice baths after every game?
    Because they just played a professional sports game and need to help out their muscles.

That has nothing to do with your average person taking a daily shower.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

If taking a cold shower is healthy because it forces your body to warm itself up and constrict blood vessels and all that, wouldn't that also just mean that going outside without a jacket on a cold day would do the same?