Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #16
gaydad
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Official #7 NBA Player Of All Time According To ISH

Tim Duncan. It's overdue
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #17
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Answer
Shaq's an underrated defender. The man was huge, impossible to push around down low, and an excellant shot blocker and atlerer. Other than being slow on his rotations, he was a good defender, though still not on par with Duncan. However, I don't think it's enough to make up for Shaq's dominance on the other end. Only Wilt and Kareem were the better scoring centers. In his prime he was just more dominant than Duncan, plain and simple.
i watched shaq his whole career, and i agree basically. like i said, i can see it going either way. i think duncan's ability to move laterally, rotate and recover, and still do the lane protecting and board dominating is very impressive. he also passes on the move better than just about any 7 footer i can think of. but again, shaq is a great pick too. i'm sure he'll wind up with the majority of votes here.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:41 PM   #18
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
You wanted Oscar Robertson at two, didn't you? I like him, but can't bring myself to vote for him this early. Sure he averaged a triple double over his first five years(at a time when assists were harder to come by too), but he never won anything until he teamed up with Kareem, who was clearly the Bucks best player. As a perimeter player, he's at a natural disadvantage to dominant interior players like Shaq. That's just basketball. Oscar will make it soon though. Don't worry.
So not only are you holding his position against him, but you are holding his lack of rings against him? C'mon, Oscar is a top 5 talent as far as individual talent. AI doesn't have a ring, and if he retires without one, would you say he's not as talented as say Tony Parker because Tony has more rings and got MVP?
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
GoldNugg21
High School Starter

Shaq.
GoldNugg21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #20
The Answer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Becuase he's was a freakin beast. MVP titles, triple-doubles.

Was really the first big guard, (not Magic as most would say). He could score with the best of them, as his 30 pts for more then five seasons show you. He could pas with the best of them, as his five season with 10 or mosre assist show you and could rebound like a big man, as his 3 years with 10 board show you.

People were sayin' Magic was specila when Oscar was doing everything better, 20 years ealier. The only knock on him was that he didn't win in this Cinncinatti days. Well look who he was facing, The multi-hall of Fam teams o the Celrics and the 76ers in the 60's.

While he did play with two Hall of Famers (Jerry Lucas and Jack Twyman) Tyman (probally won't even make this 100 greatest players list) was about at or a little past his prime whe Oscar got there so that left only.

Yeah, he was a beast, easily one of the most well rounded guards of all time. But was Shaq not also a beast, and at a more important position? He's only got one MVP and one title, and Kareem was the more important player to that Bucks team. Shaq, on the other hand, has 4 titles and was the most dominant player of our era. Yes, Robertson was great, but I don't see how he can be ranked above the likes of O'Neal, Duncan, and Olajuwon.
The Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #21
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Yeah, he was a beast, easily one of the most well rounded guards of all time. But was Shaq not also a beast, and at a more important position? He's only got one MVP and one title, and Kareem was the more important player to that Bucks team. Shaq, on the other hand, has 4 titles and was the most dominant player of our era. Yes, Robertson was great, but I don't see how he can be ranked above the likes of O'Neal, Duncan, and Olajuwon.
How don't you see being that high and below Duncan and Dream. Was it because he didn't win a title in an era when only the Celtics were winning?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #22
basketballer4
Sweaty ti.ts

My vote's for Dr. J
basketballer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:57 PM   #23
geeWiz15
Banned

if it's not Shaq I quit ISH.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:59 PM   #24
The Answer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime
So not only are you holding his position against him, but you are holding his lack of rings against him? C'mon, Oscar is a top 5 talent as far as individual talent. AI doesn't have a ring, and if he retires without one, would you say he's not as talented as say Tony Parker because Tony has more rings and got MVP?

Yes, I'm holding his position against him. The fact that interior players have a greater impact on the game than perimeter players cannot simply be disregarded. Shaq is also, arguably, a top five talent of all time. How many guys have his remarkable combination of size, quickness, and strength, after all.

Yes, Iverson doesn't have any rings, and yes that should hurt his status as a great player. Championships have to be in the discussion. The best players win. It's as simple as that.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
Odenorbust
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
if it's not Shaq I quit ISH.
So your trying to use your worth as a poster to sway the masses to do it your way. Sounds like when a group of 4 year olds is playing, and a big old 8 year old says, "If we don't play ______ I'm not playing with you guys." Hmm Geewiz acting like a 8 year old.
Odenorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Richie2k6
Smooth Like Butter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odenorbust
So your trying to use your worth as a poster to sway the masses to do it your way. Sounds like when a group of 4 year olds is playing, and a big old 8 year old says, "If we don't play ______ I'm not playing with you guys." Hmm Geewiz acting like a 8 year old.
Obviously he was just kidding... what the hell?
Richie2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #27
haji_d_robertas
Good High School Starter

Shaquille O'Neal.
haji_d_robertas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:11 PM   #28
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Shaq.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #29
The Answer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
How don't you see being that high and below Duncan and Dream. Was it because he didn't win a title in an era when only the Celtics were winning?

Yes, it hurts him that he couldn't get past the Celtics. It's unfortunate but it does. I could turn around and use the same argument for Shaq and Hakeem in regard to the Bulls. What about Stockton and Malone? Has there legacy also been tarnished by their inability to get past Jordan? Yes. Should it be? Yes. The very best players find ways to win.

Last edited by The Answer : 06-28-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #30
rzp
Local High School Star

LOL its Shaq or i give up too
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: