Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I hit 30-footers

Default Re: 1996 Chicago Bulls vs 2001 Los Angeles Lakers

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    Like hell they do. Scottie pippen was every bit as dominant as kobe bryant. And id still take jordan over shaq. Just be glad shaq never had to go against any good centers during the lakers championship run. Otherwise, they probably have no rings.

Quote Originally Posted by Bring-Your-Js
    Am I the only one who notices he goes full retard every other post? If Shaq went up against "a better center" he'd have ZERO rings? Holy strawman.

I hit 30-footers

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    Am I the only one who notices he goes full retard every other post? If Shaq went up against "a better center" he'd have ZERO rings? Holy strawman.
    I'm ****IN dying over here man

Troll who tries to provoke you

1996 Bulls beat 2001 Lakers. 4-2

That 72-10 Bulls was something very special. Driven by a Leader on a come back who was previously embarrassed by Magic in the playoffs.

MJ was too much possessed to win it all that year. Shaq never was that driven. He was always part hollywood partly Bball driven.

Its so scary the way 1996 Bulls swept 1996 shaq's Magic which was well balanced, nothing could've stopped them from destroying 2001 Lakers.

Nothing.

MJ on a mission to prove he is back on top as king.
    Rodman turned loose on Shaq.
    Pippen roaming around on defense complete shut down of Kobe.
    Kukoc, Kerr, Harper hitting outside shots.

That 1996 bulls beat lakers 4-1 if not guaranteed 4-2.

Banned

7-time NBA All-Star

Chicago would win, better talent, better chemistry and more consistent.

Like hell they do. Scottie pippen was every bit as dominant as kobe bryant. And id still take jordan over shaq. Just be glad shaq never had to go against any good centers during the lakers championship run. Otherwise, they probably have no rings.
    at this troll.

No, you're not the only one who noticed that.

Banned

Mj would be the 3rd best player in the series

I hit 30-footers

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

at this troll.

Inb4 someone claims youre just downplaying Shaq's supporting cast.

Root Of All Evil

Would love to see this matchup go down.

at this troll.

What's shaqs excuse? He played 8 years in the 90s, he had some of the best teams, they were relatively injury free. What's the excuse?

93-94 lost to rik smits and the pacers
    94-95 lost to olajuwan
    96 lost to the bulls
    97 lost to the jazz. And greg ostertag gave him a hard time
    98 the same
    99 lost to the spurs david robinson and duncan.

And I believe his teams were swept out of the playoffs almost every year.

And before you bombard me with stats, its never been shaqs offense. Its his defense. His lackluster attitude towards that side of the court is what cost his teams most of the time.

7-time NBA All-Star

What's shaqs excuse? He played 8 years in the 90s, he had some of the best teams, they were relatively injury free. What's the excuse?

93-94 lost to rik smits and the pacers
    94-95 lost to olajuwan
    96 lost to the bulls
    97 lost to the jazz. And greg ostertag gave him a hard time
    98 the same
    99 lost to the spurs david robinson and duncan.

And I believe his teams were swept out of the playoffs almost every year.

And before you bombard me with stats, its never been shaqs offense. Its his defense. His lackluster attitude towards that side of the court is what cost his teams most of the time.
    1994- That was Shaq's second year, he was not the player he was in 2001, and that was his first playoff series. Had a poor series, disappointing in fact, but this means very little when discussing what Shaq in 2001 would do, especially when Shaq played much better vs the same team the next season.

1995- Hakeem in his prime/peak isn't just any center. Besides, Shaq played well against him, especially compared to Ewing and Robinson. Hakeem had a much tougher time scoring than he did against Robinson(an all-time great defensive player). It was also Shaq's first extended playoff run as a 23 year old and most of Orlando's key players first extended playoff run, aside from Horace Grant. And if you're going to use Rik Smits as some kind of obstacle, he beat Smits team in the ECF to get to Houston.

1996- I thought this was about Shaq not being able to beat teams with centers? So how are the Bulls some example when their center play was not that great? Actually, Longley was a better match up vs Shaq than most because he had more size, which is more important vs Shaq than just being a "better center". Shaq played pretty well that series anyway, he didn't dominate, but he didn't choke and wasn't the reason his team lost. And since when are a 60-22 team expected to beat a 72-10 team?

1997- Shaq had a poor series, but again, lost to a team with a better record(Utah was 64-18, LA was 56-26). And what happened to this better center crap you were spewing before? Shaq destroyed Sabonis in the first round who was a much better center than Ostertag, once again proving this theory is crap.

1998- Take a look at Shaq's cast that series.

Jones- 15 ppg, 4 rpg, 3.3 apg, 41.2 FG%
    Kobe- 10 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 1 apg, 36.7 FG%
    Fox- 9.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.3 apg, 40.6 FG%
    Van Exel- 9 ppg, 2 rpg, 4 apg, 23.8 FG%
    Fisher- 5.5 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 2.8 apg, 34.8 FG%
    Horry- 4.5 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 1.8 apg, 36.4 FG%
    Corie Blount- 2.3 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 0.5 apg, 50 FG%

That's everyone of Shaq's teammates that played over 20 mpg that series. Shaq didn't defend and rebound as well as he could've, but that's simply not enough offensive support to win. Shaq was the only one providing it at 32 ppg on 56% shooting.

here are quotes from that series. From game 3...

Shaquille O'Neal powered his way to 39 points and 15 rebounds but got little help from his teammates Friday night in a 109-98 loss
    While O'Neal did everything he could to get the Lakers back in the series, Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel and the other Lakers shooters were missing in action most of the night.
    http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...rebounds&hl=en

From game 4

Shaq did end up with 38 points, including 19 in the fourth.
    And once again, I thought your point was about Shaq not being to beat real centers? He destroyed Sabonis in 1998 once again, who was much better than Utah's centers.

1999- Yes, he played poorly vs San Antonio. But once again, this isn't 2001 Shaq. 1999 Shaq was lazy anyway, probably his laziest prime year. Not the same force we saw once Phil took over. And again, your point was that he couldn't beat real centers, but you're ignoring that he annihilated Hakeem(who was still a 19/10, 2.5 bpg center that year) in the first round. And he beat Robinson/Duncan in the 2001 WCF.

Once again, the point that Shaq couldn't beat real centers wasn't proven here.

If the point was, that Shaq has lost some series that he could've played a lot better in, then sure, who hasn't?

Quote Originally Posted by gengiskhan
    1996 Bulls beat 2001 Lakers. 4-2

That 72-10 Bulls was something very special. Driven by a Leader on a come back who was previously embarrassed by Magic in the playoffs.

MJ was too much possessed to win it all that year. Shaq never was that driven. He was always part hollywood partly Bball driven.

Its so scary the way 1996 Bulls swept 1996 shaq's Magic which was well balanced, nothing could've stopped them from destroying 2001 Lakers.

Nothing.

MJ on a mission to prove he is back on top as king.
    Rodman turned loose on Shaq.
    Pippen roaming around on defense complete shut down of Kobe.
    Kukoc, Kerr, Harper hitting outside shots.

That 1996 bulls beat lakers 4-1 if not guaranteed 4-2.
    You are an awful awful poster.

2001 Shaq > 1996 Jordan
    2001 Kobe > 1996 Pippen

Lakers in 6 or 7

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Papaya Petee
    You are an awful awful poster.

2001 Shaq > 1996 Jordan
    2001 Kobe > 1996 Pippen

Lakers in 6 or 7
    I agree with the first 2 parts, but I have the Bulls winning that series.

The Lakers were unbelievable as long as Shaq and Kobe were getting along, but what happens when they face a team that challenges them? That's why i don't trust them vs Chicago.

Grant's value is severely diminished as well when going against a team like Chicago rather than Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio where he made his impact guarding Sheed, Webber and Duncan.

I hit 30-footers

I agree with the first 2 parts, but I have the Bulls winning that series.

The Lakers were unbelievable as long as Shaq and Kobe were getting along, but what happens when they face a team that challenges them? That's why i don't trust them vs Chicago.

Grant's value is severely diminished as well when going against a team like Chicago rather than Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio where he made his impact guarding Sheed, Webber and Duncan.
    It's tough to pick against prime Shaq though. Kobe was absolutely elite here as well. I can't even call it.

Bulls easily.

Rodman & Luc Longley had good games against Shaq.Rodman did pretty good job guarding Shaq when they head to head from detroit years to Bulls.Shaq couldn't have big series against Bulls.

2001 Kobe couldn't play well against Eric Snow.96 Pippen would do more damage both defense and offense to Kobe than Eric Snow.

Who is gonna guard Jordan or Pippen?

Bulls bench is better than Lakers as well.

It would not be 7 game.If Bulls take it seriously, it would end 4-0,4-1 or 4-2 at best.