Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Advice if you are a prolonged houseguest

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    a white guy that lived in the Philippines? a Filipino official that didnt like white guys for some odd reason? sex trafficking of minor girls and boys. not saying he was apart of that, but very much a possible profile.

check this guy out.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Paul_Neil
    Lol. I've never heard that before. But I'll do a background check. He did marry a Filipina and has a kid with her. He's a Jewish fella I knew since I started working with GNC and he was a sales rep. I call him my Jewipino buddy. But you never know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    Yeah, seems like you should just talk to the guy. Seems like you have a confrontation issue. You got shit for the shade post because the dude is from ireland...hence the time zone comment.
    Yeah.

First time you see him walking around with your special cup "hey bro, I like to keep that cup just for my blender, so grab a different one next time". Problem solved.

It's always going to be awkward to have someone who's not family living in your home with your family tho.

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I absolutely agree. I'm not about to put mine and my wife's personal comfort over my friend's feelings. And I'm not saying it's not simple to bring it up, I'm saying it makes things complicated and turns out ackward.

As a matter of fact I did have a talk with him and I mentioned everything I had posted in here about it. And as I expected he took offense to it. He essentially left and is staying with another friend. It's a shame because this is a friend who has in the past bent over backwards for me. Like I said, people have a hard time taking criticism and it especially makes it tougher when you have to break it to a close friend.
    Dude, let me tell you...

I had a guy living in my place for a while. Been one of my good friends for years, since middle school I guess. He had a drug problem, and had lost his job. He had several DUI's so he had no car and no license. He had nothing, he was sleeping on a futon mattress in one of my spare bedrooms.

After a while, I had to sit him down. You have to explain it...

"Look, I don't mind you living here, but the longer you live here, the less time you have for making your own life. If I allowed you to live here forever, when are you going to get your own life in order?"

One of the hardest things I ever had to do. I gave him chances and chances and chances, until one night we went out with a lot of friends and family (including my girlfriend's parents). He was so ****ed up on pills, he passed out in front of the bonfire while everyone made fun of him.

When it came time to take him home, I told him he needed to go stay somewhere else. I offered to take him and drop him off at another friends house, but he didn't want to go because he had to sleep on their couch. So he told me to leave him at a gas station (at about 2am).

So, I did.

Now, he's found a girlfriend with a kid, and has become that kid's father, more or less. He got his old job back now, and seems to be doing well. I still haven't talked to him in probably two years, but I know hes better now than he was.

Sometimes, you gotta be cruel to be kind. Not saying that night opened his eyes, but I do know that if I had enabled him to continue down the path he was on, he'd be a lot worse off than he is now.

Or you can show him this thread.

Would be fun.