Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops

Default Re: Nowitzki::::My main goal is now The NBA championship

Quote Originally Posted by tian820
    Cuban would give up his entire team than trade Dirk. This is a guy who apparently said no to a Kobe for Dirk straight up deal as recently as last summer. Try telling Cuban that Dirk is the cancer on his team and see what his response would be. And Dirk is still easily a top 10 player impact-wise and talent in the league. The Mavs couldn't get close to equal value for him

and they Just got Back players they Traded a while ago.. Diop and George.
    Last edited by dr8ked; 08-21-2008 at 09:47 PM.

Cuban would give up his entire team than trade Dirk. This is a guy who apparently said no to a Kobe for Dirk straight up deal as recently as last summer. Try telling Cuban that Dirk is the cancer on his team and see what his response would be. And Dirk is still easily a top 10 player impact-wise and talent in the league. The Mavs couldn't get close to equal value for him
    That may be true in terms of regular season, but as someone else said earlier in this thread, Dirk as the main guy on a team is not gonna win a championship. As a complimentary player he could get it done, but its just not gonna happen with the team, as is. And the only viable trade piece they have outside of Dirk is Josh Howard and they are unwilling to let him go as well.

Local High School Star Mr Know It All's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianScalabrine
    Word. He didn't get a ring because of David Stern, hater of all Aryan race.
    Also the hater of all loudmouth owners.

Trading Dirk would be retarded, and anyone to suggest that Dirk is a cancer is an idiot. The guy came back a week after a serious ankle sprain, played at 80%, and got them into the playoffs by himself in the tight western conference. If Dallas traded Dirk, all they would have left is the stoner and chucker extraordinaire Howard, a declining Kidd, Jason Terry, and some average role players. They would struggle to get 30 wins in the West.

Kobe said earlier this summer that Gold is more prestigious and in a way more important than an NBA championship, because he was playing for his country. Does that mean he has no heart? Hell no, he busts his ass every single night in the gym and on the court.

College superstar

Did he list one of his goals as being to figure out how to score on 6'6-6'8 lengthy small forwards?

Decent college freshman tian820's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15
    That may be true in terms of regular season, but as someone else said earlier in this thread, Dirk as the main guy on a team is not gonna win a championship. As a complimentary player he could get it done, but its just not gonna happen with the team, as is. And the only viable trade piece they have outside of Dirk is Josh Howard and they are unwilling to let him go as well.
    Dirk as a #1 guy got to the Finals. That was 2 seasons ago. The knock on him is still about his defense, but he's clearly gotten better in that department in the past few seasons and the guy can finish games as a closer. I still think he's a legit #1 guy. The way Dallas surrounds him is with balance and we'll still have to see if the Jason Kidd trade can be salvageable or not. I don't think you can fairly judge how Kidd has done with just the few months he was there. Point guards generally have the toughest time/take the longest time adjusting to a new team. This next season will more telling of how Dallas needs to look toward their future. As of right now, I actually consider Dallas a sleeper in terms of how well they will do because I think this team can still make the 2nd round. People are writing them off too quick. It's true Kidd is in the twilight of his career, but Dirk and Josh Howard (even with all the dumb mistakes he made in the past year) are in their primes and their still a pretty deep team with Terry, Bass, Diop, Dampier, Stackhouse, etc around them

Dirk as a #1 guy got to the Finals. That was 2 seasons ago. The knock on him is still about his defense, but he's clearly gotten better in that department in the past few seasons and the guy can finish games as a closer. I still think he's a legit #1 guy. The way Dallas surrounds him is with balance and we'll still have to see if the Jason Kidd trade can be salvageable or not. I don't think you can fairly judge how Kidd has done with just the few months he was there. Point guards generally have the toughest time/take the longest time adjusting to a new team. This next season will more telling of how Dallas needs to look toward their future. As of right now, I actually consider Dallas a sleeper in terms of how well they will do because I think this team can still make the 2nd round. People are writing them off too quick. It's true Kidd is in the twilight of his career, but Dirk and Josh Howard (even with all the dumb mistakes he made in the past year) are in their primes and their still a pretty deep team with Terry, Bass, Diop, Dampier, Stackhouse, etc around them
    The point of getting J-Kidd was not to make the 2nd round. They've done that several times, and even made the finals as you noted. They brought him in to become a championship contender. So if they made the 2nd round and got eliminated, the season would still be considered a failure IMO. They had their best shot 2 years ago, and now the west is deeper, stronger, more talented and the Mavs haven't gotten significantly better. I don't see them being a real title threat.

Quote Originally Posted by dr8ked
    I think he needs to go to another Team, He's the Cancer in Dallas.
    I really don't think you can call Dirk a cancer.
    He has one terrible blemish on his record given to him by the Warriors. Other than that the guy has shown he is clutch, efficient and a great leader. I expect him to have his day in the sun soon. If thing don't work out with Jason Kidd this year, they have enoug money to try to add some significant pieces from the huge free agent market. They get second option and a low post presence and they become title contenders just like that thanks to Dirk.

Trick Hoopz Alley-Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    I really don't think you can call Dirk a cancer.
    He has one terrible blemish on his record given to him by the Warriors. Other than that the guy has shown he is clutch, efficient and a great leader. I expect him to have his day in the sun soon. If thing don't work out with Jason Kidd this year, they have enoug money to try to add some significant pieces from the huge free agent market. They get second option and a low post presence and they become title contenders just like that thanks to Dirk.

no way Dallas wins a Ring with Dirk as their 1st option, he'll carry them far but he can not get the Job Done, Dirk can be more efficient Playing as the 2nd Option, a situation like what Lakers had when they were winning in 00-02.. Mavericks need another Dominant Player, Otherwise they can start working on the future coz they are not winning anything in the next 5 years and Dirk's age will be showing then.

no way Dallas wins a Ring with Dirk as their 1st option, he'll carry them far but he can not get the Job Done, Dirk can be more efficient Playing as the 2nd Option, a situation like what Lakers had when they were winning in 00-02.. Mavericks need another Dominant Player, Otherwise they can start working on the future coz they are not winning anything in the next 5 years and Dirk's age will be showing then.
    exactly.. and the problem is, their only chance of getting such a player is to trade their 2nd best asset in Josh Howard, which is something they have not been willing to do.

Root Of All Evil

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    Did he list one of his goals as being to figure out how to score on 6'6-6'8 lengthy small forwards?
    Exactly, with his soft serve ass ...

Shook Ones #41

lol isn't everyones main goal is to win a championship?

It won't take 5 years to rebuild if Kidd doesn't work. Like I said earlier, when Kidd expires next summer, they can go after a free agent. The summer after that, Howard and Stackhouse are off the books if they haven't already traded them for something more valueable (2010 expireres are gold to some teams). Then Dirk can opt out and they can resign him with replacements from Kidd, Stackhouse, and Howard. That's enough money to give Dirk something to win with again.

I think Dirk is a great first option. He hits big shots and shoots a high percentage while being in control the entire time. He just needs a team with a post player to mix things up to start the inside-out game (someone like Kaman or Okafor). Then give him a sidekick other than Howard to share the load with (something like Hamilton) and surround him with role players (the Battier/Bowen/Prince type) and you're a contendor again.

exactly.. and the problem is, their only chance of getting such a player is to trade their 2nd best asset in Josh Howard, which is something they have not been willing to do.
    If they don't trade Howard for something else, I also think they are in trouble. Problem is, Howard destroyed his trade value. He is a ball stopper if I have ever seen one. His defense redeems him, but they need a creative shooting guard in his place. Someone who can get where he wants to one the floor and still have the awareness the move the ball.

Ich Liebe die Bulls! CelticForce1349's Avatar

And how many star players can win a championship without another star player?

Isn't the general theory in NBA basketball is that it takes a "big 3" to win a Championship, or at least a very dominate group of two stars?

Magic, Kareem, Worthy. Bird, Parrish, McHale. Jordan, Pippen, Rodman. Kobe and prime freaking Shaq is a star group of two that got it done.

So where is Dirk's K.G. and Ray Allen? Where is his T-mac and Artest?

It really does seem like some people just trash the European players as if they are completely inferior to the American Players at times.

Would you doubt Dirk's chance of winning the championship if he played with Allen Iverson and Dwight Howard?

What if he played with Michael Redd and Baron Davis?

Quote Originally Posted by CelticForce1349
    And how many star players can win a championship without another star player?

Isn't the general theory in NBA basketball is that it takes a "big 3" to win a Championship, or at least a very dominate group of two stars?
    Dirk has another "star" not a superstar but he has Josh Howard who averaged 20/7 last year. You missed the point. I said that as the MAIN star he wouldn't win a championship, and he hasn't. I'm saying he'd win as a complementary offensive option.

edit: and Dirk, Redd and Davis would not win a championship either.