Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: The Tragedy Of Allen Iverson

Before this season he said he was ready to come off the bench and do whatever is asked. Apparently no one thinks he has anything left to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    It still blows my mind this guy can't find an NBA team to play for. You're telling me the Charlotte Bobcats can't throw this guy the MLE to toss 15 PPG up and put asses in the seats?
    Blackballed.

I don't even like AI, but I totally 100% believe he's being blackballed by stern

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Blackballed.

I don't even like AI, but I totally 100% believe he's being blackballed by stern
    More like he blackballed himself by being a fuccking idiot.

Decent college freshman

Maybe he should have practiced smarter investing

Not shocking news. I read a better piece on AI financial woes awhile back. 1-2 yrs or so. He was supporting quite a few people in his circle. Too generous.

Also how is $100mil is a lot of money today? AI that you?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    Blackballed.

I think the whole blackballing thing gets blown out of proportion. Iverson doesn't need Stern's influence when it comes to his struggles to land an NBA contract... he's demonstrated that he's more than capable of mucking things up himself. He's a PR disaster and you can't take anything he says seriously. All the tearful press conferences, admissions of "things will be different, I've changed"... in his mind, the guy probably thinks he's some sort of martyr who never got a fair shake in the league. Truth is, he was afforded every opportunity and blew it in spectacular fashion.

I don't think Stern has any invested interest in keeping Iverson out of the league. Certainly not for any personal reasons at least... if anything maybe because AI hastily threw together excuses to leave those last three teams. Perhaps he's tired of Iverson wasting front offices time only to make waves and get waived soon after signing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    How can someone earn over $100 million and then end of broke a few years after the paychecks stop.
    Black people.

Oops, I said it!

Quote Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
    I think the whole blackballing thing gets blown out of proportion. Iverson doesn't need Stern's influence when it comes to his struggles to land an NBA contract... he's demonstrated that he's more than capable of mucking things up himself. He's a PR disaster and you can't take anything he says seriously. All the tearful press conferences, admissions of "things will be different, I've changed"... in his mind, the guy probably thinks he's some sort of martyr who never got a fair shake in the league. Truth is, he was afforded every opportunity and blew it in spectacular fashion.

I don't think Stern has any invested interest in keeping Iverson out of the league. Certainly not for any personal reasons at least... if anything maybe because AI hastily threw together excuses to leave those last three teams. Perhaps he's tired of Iverson wasting front offices time only to make waves and get waived soon after signing.
    I think it does too some extent as well, but I can't see how a guy who's talented and keeps himself at least in somewhat good shape can't get a shot in the NBA again, yet guys like Eddy Curry, Larry Highes, etc etc do. He was more talented in the first place, came with issues yes. But how many teams need a guy just to sell tickets/jerseys?

Personal reasons? Absolutely,he changed the culture of the NBA. Came with his own entourage before others did it, and certainly before anyone else did that way. He started the gangster basketball and tarnished the image of the NBA when he sat courtside injured in what's considered "gangster" by the eyes of Stern. That's why everyone has to wear suits now when they show up to the games and not playing. Talent wins at every level, surely someone would take a chance on him.

Unfortunately, Iverson was nowhere near the first, nor will he be the last to make this mistake. People take having a lot of money granted. It happens to the best of us.

Forget 100 million dollars, thats nothing compared to his endorsements he was getting. He had a lot of commercials and shoes made. He had way more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by swi7ch
    Black people.

Oops, I said it!
    Jack Clark says hello...

Clark was driven into bankruptcy in 1992 by his appetite for luxury cars. According to his bankruptcy filing, he owned 18 luxury automobiles, including a $700,000 Ferrari and a Rolls Royce. Clark was trying to pay 17 car notes simultaneously, and whenever he got bored with a car he would get rid of it and just buy another one. He ended up losing his 2.4 million-dollar home and his drag-racing business because of his extravagant spending habits.

I rule the local playground returnofthemack's Avatar

anyone else think this will be lebrons story in 10 years? lebron and his strawberry mom will be back on the streets of akron in no time. all they will have is memories of giant cakes and ugly houses in miami to keep them warm. maverick carter will be laughing all the way to the bank.

sigh i can dream cant i?

Quote Originally Posted by returnofthemack
    anyone else think this will be lebrons story in 10 years? lebron and his strawberry mom will be back on the streets of akron in no time. all they will have is memories of giant cakes and ugly houses in miami to keep them warm. maverick carter will be laughing all the way to the bank.
    I don't think there's any chance of that happening. LeBron seems to be very smart with his money, and I haven't heard about any outrageous spending sprees, etc. from him.

In 10 years, he'll probably still be playing. He'll be fine for life.

I rule the local playground returnofthemack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    I don't think there's any chance of that happening. LeBron seems to be very smart with his money, and I haven't heard about any outrageous spending sprees, etc. from him.

In 10 years, he'll probably still be playing. He'll be fine for life.
    i hope your wrong sir

Saw a basketball once

i never like this guy, totally overrated, inefficiency, and a ballhog, do not want to see him come back

Although he basically screwed himself over, the fact that he was the reason I started watching NBA makes me sad.