Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman LA.MJ&KB#1's Avatar

Default Re: Why are black players generally more explosive athletes than white players?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
    Edited the title to something a little bit less likely to incite a racism flame war (I hope).
    True that. Man I can't believe i'm agreeing with a Boston fan.

Default Re: Why are black players generally more explosive athletes than white players?

It's more cultural than anything. The reason blacks tend to excel at track, basketball, and football is because in some parts of the country,these sports are a rite of passage for nearly all black kids. In most parts of the country where blacks are plentiful basketball and football take the place of track. I played on my first little league football team at the age of 5, and we were drilled like 10 year olds. In Florida nearly every black person I have met has run track at some point in their life. As a kid I spent way less time in front of the TV than my white counterparts. My friends and I played sports for at least 3 hrs a day during the school year, and that number went to about 9-10 hours during the summer.
    Last edited by Dasher; 04-24-2008 at 11:14 AM.

In It to Win It

First off, saying that black people as a race are stronger than other races is wrong. They are faster and jump higher. But stronger? Not necessarily. Each race has their own specialties in which they excel. Blacks have less upper body strength than whites, this can be shown by the dominance of Europeans in weight lifting. They are better suited for it. But blacks are FAR better at running, this can obviously be seen by the predominance of blacks in track events.

Also, it is found that in general, blacks have more testosterone than whites, who in turn have more testosterone than Asians (but the amount of testosterone is more similar among whites and Asians). Testosterone supposedly leads to explosiveness.

Having said that, the athleticism of blacks has a lot to do with slavery. How can you tell? Because black Africans are not as physically strong as black Americans (although black Africans can run like hell, because they've had to do that a lot in their past). Africans are significantly thinner and weaker than black Americans, this has to do with lack of nutrition but also with their overall genes. African Americans have different genes than Africans.

Basically, if you do something repeatedly, you get good at it and are designed for it - ex: if you lift weights for a long time, you get stronger. I hope this clears up some doubts.
    Last edited by ForceOfNature; 04-24-2008 at 11:40 AM.

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

slow twitch vs fast twitch muscle fibers

Quote Originally Posted by Felix777
    Well i`m white guy from eastern europe , and it amazes me why do black athletes run faster, jump higher , bench more and stuff.

I dont complain about my genes my bench is pretty good and all but then i see atheletes like Howard , Jordan, Tracy, Vince, Kobe , Tyson i just cant get it

And then i Saw first Lebron Game as a Cavaliers member , i mean he was barely 18 , i`m just 17 i bench 230+ and his abilieties and shoulders arms etc.. look so much bigger .

How do black guys get fit so fast?
    Where have you heard bench more? I'll give you explosion (jumping, running) but as far as benching and weight lifting is concerned I don't see blacks having an advantage at all.

Banned

Default Re: Does anyone know technically why black athletes are so superior to white?

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    Not trying to be racist but african-americans were bred for farm work by the slave owners, so that is why some are so athletic today.
    What, I hope you were kidding. The minimal time they spent as slaves, relative to how long it would actually take for an evolutionary adaptation to occur, would have no effect on their athleticism.
    The theory I have heard and accept is that the Africans are the oldest race of humans, they have been around the longest and were hunter-gatherers the longest. Thus, by natural selection, the strong ones with the athletic attributes tended to survive and reproduce a lot more than the weaker ones. Hence the seemingly greater athletic ability over every other race.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Does anyone know technically why black athletes are so superior to white?

The scientific reason why is because they have more fast twitch fiber muscles.

Blacks have 8% more fast twitch fiber muscles in their body compared to the white race.

Whites have 9% more slow twitch fiber muscles in their body compared to the black race.

That is fact, whites can go longer naturally, while blacks are more explosive.

JUST BASIC FACTS.

It has nothing to do with where you were raised, your ancestors, your sociographics, socio-economic status, anything like that, it's all genetical and the answer is bolded.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by v-unit

Blacks have 8% more fast twitch fiber muscles in their body compared to the white race.

Whites have 9% more slow twitch fiber muscles in their body compared to the black race.

JUST BASIC FACTS.

It has nothing to do with where you were raised, your ancestors, your sociographics, socio-economic status, anything like that, it's all genetical and the answer is bolded.
    got a link to back up all these basic facts?

Banned

JUST BASIC FACTS.

It does have to do with your ancestors, a ton of them from a long time ago. But I'm guessing you are pointing out to the guys who said it has do with their slave ancestors making them superior athletically.

JUST BASIC FACTS.

The problem with this is that this opens the door for other genetic studies that show that Asians are better at mathematics, Jews are better with money, and Caucasians are better managers and long term thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    The problem with this is that this opens the door for other genetic studies that show that Asians are better at mathematics, Jews are better with money, and Caucasians are better managers and long term thinkers.
    Culture dictate those things as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vert48
    ummm, not really IMO. quantity and kind of muscle fibers can be exactly measured. those qualities that you list really can't. social qualities are very different than biological ones and really impossible to measure exactly. and much harder to distinguish the learned and cultural stuff from genetic stuff.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    got a link to back up all these basic facts?
    No problem. I've read a while ago on strengthening legs for an increased vertical and it gave background information on genetics and which program is right for you. Along the way, I had read inside it the points I said, I'd gladly post the link, I just have to find it again.

It does have to do with your ancestors, a ton of them from a long time ago. But I'm guessing you are pointing out to the guys who said it has do with their slave ancestors making them superior athletically.
    Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. I really don't believe something like slaves working for the lazy whiteman is the reason blacks jump higher then whites.

Hmm...I guess I would agree. Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if it said something like Asians had a larger logical part of the brain, or something like that as people tend to have different sizes. I can't see something like Jews are better with money, or whites are better managers, but I see the point your making about stereotypes. The points I mentioned are from one study that looked at muscles, I wouldn't be surprised if you could find other parts of the body that are different from race to race.

White players have names like Lenny, whereas black players have names like Carl.

Quote Originally Posted by skan72
    Actually saying blacks are the oldest people is wrong. The out of Africa theory suggests that Australopithecus or whatever started out in Africa but espread all over the world and eventually developed into homo sapien sapien along the same path. Also, asians have similar teeth to the neanderthal. Just throwing that out there.
    Last edited by fos; 04-24-2008 at 04:04 PM.