Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ISH OFFICIAL 2016 Spring/Summer time PICS thread

Here's a Horny Toad caught in Nevada other week. Found on some relatives 6 Acres. I know they're a protected/endangered species in Texas and California, not sure about Nevada. We let him go regardless.
    He didn't quirt us with blood.
    [IMG][/IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgB4u6Mgy2M

At Convict Lake today. 8 fish total.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

This was the big one of the day. Just over 3 pounds.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Convict Lake, First week of April of this year.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

My dog Camo, being a lunatic in the freezing water at Convict Lake

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

so what's the difference between high desert and the regular high altitude/mountainous environment?

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    so what's the difference between high desert and the regular high altitude/mountainous environment?
    Well, the ones I go to are so close together it gets hard to tell the difference sometimes. For example: Bishop, CA is a little town between Big Pine, CA and Mammoth, CA. Big pine and Bishop are both considered "high desert". Mammoth would be considered a high altitude mountain town. High desert is usually a flat valley between high altitude mountain ranges. Temperature would be one difference. Bishop is not far from Death Valley. It gets pretty ****ing hot. You would escape the heat by going up the hill to a high altitude lake. If it's 105 in Bishop, I can go up to Intake 2, South Lake, North Lake, Lake Sabrina, Bishop Creek ect. ect. and expect the temperature to be in the high 70's to low 80's. If you go up the hill an hour to Mammoth, it's basically a forest town. Both high desert and high altitude forests are susceptible to quick changing weather patterns. That's what I like about it. I can go fishing in the wind, sun, rain, and snow all in the same day at the same spot. The other notable difference would be wildlife. It has happened, but I don't see too many bears in the desert. The forest on the other hand, to many to count. I'm not fond of bears. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by COnDEMnED
    Well, the ones I go to are so close together it gets hard to tell the difference sometimes. For example: Bishop, CA is a little town between Big Pine, CA and Mammoth, CA. Big pine and Bishop are both considered "high desert". Mammoth would be considered a high altitude mountain town. High desert is usually a flat valley between high altitude mountain ranges. Temperature would be one difference. Bishop is not far from Death Valley. It gets pretty ****ing hot. You would escape the heat by going up the hill to a high altitude lake. If it's 105 in Bishop, I can go up to Intake 2, South Lake, North Lake, Lake Sabrina, Bishop Creek ect. ect. and expect the temperature to be in the high 70's to low 80's. If you go up the hill an hour to Mammoth, it's basically a forest town. Both high desert and high altitude forests are susceptible to quick changing weather patterns. That's what I like about it. I can go fishing in the wind, sun, rain, and snow all in the same day at the same spot. The other notable difference would be wildlife. It has happened, but I don't see too many bears in the desert. The forest on the other hand, to many to count. I'm not fond of bears. LOL
    I see. I live in Phoenix so this is your traditional hot as hell desert but we're surrounded by mountains which is why you hear locals refer to it as "the valley".

And i hear you on the bear thing, Me and a friend stayed at a lodge on Seqioua mountain and holy fck, I have never been more scared in my life. There's bear sign everywhere and the walk at night from ur car to the room is dark and scary bc a bear can come out of nowhere.

Has your dog ever ran into wildlife? One of our local fishing spots here has a lot of hiyanas and rattlesnakes, usually a dog will keep them at a distance.

Quote Originally Posted by highwhey
    I see. I live in Phoenix so this is your traditional hot as hell desert but we're surrounded by mountains which is why you hear locals refer to it as "the valley".

And i hear you on the bear thing, Me and a friend stayed at a lodge on Seqioua mountain and holy fck, I have never been more scared in my life. There's bear sign everywhere and the walk at night from ur car to the room is dark and scary bc a bear can come out of nowhere.

Has your dog ever ran into wildlife? One of our local fishing spots here has a lot of hiyanas and rattlesnakes, usually a dog will keep them at a distance.
    I keep Camo on a tight leash when we go out. My biggest fear is him getting bit by a rattlesnake, particularly a Mojave Green. When he was 6 months old, we were camping at Annette's Mono Village (http://www.monovillage.com/), which is the other side of the mountain of Yosemite National Forest. He was off the leash in our campground. It was probably around noon, so I wasn't anticipating any wildlife issues. I was wrong. He charged a bear that wondered into out camp. I was overwhelmed with fear my dog was going to get killed, but the bear ran off. Camo was so little I could pick him up and hold him with one arm. The bear was probably a "teenager", only a couple hundred pounds.

As for the snakes, I'm looking at properties in Nevada around the Carson City area. When I move, I've been offered some snake training classes for Camo. Essentially its professional trainers with live rattlesnakes whom have been defanged. They stick a shock collar on the dog and let him get "bit" by the snakes. When the snakes strike, he gets zapped so he associates the smell and sight of snakes as "the bad zapper thing". I also have a female friend who is a vet in that area. We're talking about getting Camo some snake shots. On the off chance he does get bit, the shots will have already provided some antibodies to fight the venom and make the venom less toxic. (or some such shit, I think that's how she explained it).

If anything happens to that dog, I will be devastated in a padded white room.

Bridgeport CA, Lower Twin Lake a few weeks ago.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Same place as above.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Some Wild Horses that wont get the **** off the road.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]