Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Kobe reminds me of Larry Bird as someone fortunate to watch both....

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    It is amazing that Bird can play like 36yr old Kobe or Kobe playing like prime Bird.

The ability is uncanny, just getting off shots anywhere on the floor.

It is a thing of beauty to see him get to spots without the ball.

Prime Bird >>>>>> Kobe

Banned

Default Re: Kobe reminds me of Larry Bird as someone fortunate to watch both....

Quote Originally Posted by kenuffff
    uhh except for that part where bird shot 49 percent fg%, and kobe is like 44%.. bird took smart quality shots, their game isn't similar at all except bryant is old and can't use athleticism like he could so yes his game might be similar in that aspect to bird's. this isn't taking away from kobe as a player, but i do not consider kobe a "shooter".
    Don't act like there is a huge difference in 5%. It has already been proven that a +/- difference of 5% equates to 3 more miss shots per game.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus

Prime Bird >>>>>> Kobe
    Prime Bird was very similar to Kobe right now. Like I said, it is not a knock on Kobe, it is just that he is getting his shot off from the perimeter with ease and posting up too.

Except for the fact that Bird was 6'9 w/o shoes...
    Plus, rebounded at bigmen rate, and had GOAT-level passing skills (and overall intangibles).
    ^
    That along with the superb shooting, terrific footwork, use of fakes, great floater with either hand, a post-game that would embarrass most bigs today, plus great shot-selection and smart basketball... made him a very efficient scorer in his prime.

Anyways, as far as players who could drop 30 on mostly jumpers, at any given night:

Bird
    Dirk
    West
    Kobe
    older MJ
    Gervin
    Mullin
    Ray-Ray
    Pistol
    Rick Barry
    McAdoo
    prime Arenas
    Pettit
    Reggie
    Pierce
    (not many others)

Don't really agree with the Adrian Dantley mention, he got many buckets on post-ups, drives from close to the basket or along the baseline, and moving superbly without the ball appearing in the paint. He hit some faders from the post yea, and when they gave him space he hit shot it. Many from the FT line too.
    Bernard King probably after injuries yea, before he was also a very explosive player, taking it to the rack and finishing breaks.

Learning to shoot layups

Prime Bird was very similar to Kobe right now. Like I said, it is not a knock on Kobe, it is just that he is getting his shot off from the perimeter with ease and posting up too.

That just don't make any sense. They play totally different. Like I wrote before, Dirk is a much better example, because he is not relaying on any athleticism at all.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RicksPlace
    That just don't make any sense. They play totally different. Like I wrote before, Dirk is a much better example, because he is not relaying on any athleticism at all.
    He is relying on his physical advantage which is height but I still believe Dirk can score anywhere if he was under 7 foot.

While I will miss the dunks but I am looking forward to watching the beautiful game of jumpers.

I'm just thankful I could watch Mikan in his prime.

Learning to shoot layups

He is relying on his physical advantage which is height but I still believe Dirk can score anywhere if he was under 7 foot.

While I will miss the dunks but I am looking forward to watching the beautiful game of jumpers.
    I concur with you. I will miss those dunks indeed.

NBA sixth man of the year

So the OP is old enough to have seen Larry Bird play but not old enough to have seen MJ, got it....

Klay Thompson, Jameer Nelson, Kyle Korver

aldridge