Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Why Ewing never won an NBA title

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Ewing>Robinson. Ewing was easily the better leader, better post scorer and rebounding was about equal while Ewing was just as solid of an anchor defensively. Robinson was the better passer, better on the perimeter and running the floor and more athletic, but there's a reason why Robinson has very few memorable playoff performances while Ewing has a ton. Ewing in 1990 was better than Robinson ever was as well.
    robinson was the best center in the 90's. and how can 1990 ewing be better than robinson ever was when 1990 rookie robinson was the real mvp, and only behind olajuwon in overall rankings?

3-time NBA All-Star

I have always thought rings were deceptive when comparing great players...until the last few months.

Wilt is the classic example. Many observers unfairly label him a "loser" and a "failure" because he "only" won two rings. He played in the era of the greatest dynasty in NBA history, and had FOUR game seven losses to Russell's Celtics, by a COMBINED NINE points. In many of those seasons, he played on rosters that would be average, at best, without him (and it could be argued that at least a couple of them would be cellar-dwellers without him.)

I have come to appreciate Russell's brilliance, and clutch play, though. It has to be more than a coincidence that his team's went 7-1 against Wilt's in the post-season. And, of course, 11-2 in the Finals (and injured in one of those losses)...just unbelieveable. Still, IMHO, Wilt played valiantly in so many post-seasons, and I just can't understand those that criticize him for his "lack of success." I laud Russell for undeniably leading his teams to so many titles...but I also appreciate the fact that it was Wilt, and his team's, that provided Russell's team's with the most competition. A few points, here-or-there, and Wilt could have held a 5-3 edge in rings over Russell.

As for Ewing... IMHO, as great as MJ and the Bulls were, and they most certainly were the best team of the 90's...Ewing was no better than the 4th best center of the era, behind Shaq, Hakeem, and Robinson. And, in the post-season, he was way behind Shaq and Hakeem.

Had Ewing played brilliantly in the post-season, even in defeat, as Wilt did so often...then yes, I would rank him higher. But, he never rose to the occasion.

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

He still has time

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    I never considered Ewing a GREAT player. Very good...yes...GREAT...no.

The truly GREAT players CARRY their teams to titles. True, most all of the greats have a quality supporting cast. But, the GREATS dominate when their teams need them the most.

Look at Tim Duncan. I don't think he was any more physically gifted than Ewing. Yet, he has four rings. And while Ewing fans can point to MJ and Hakeem, Duncan's Spurs faced the likes of Shaq-Kobe for most of their titles.

I also look at Chamberlain's career as somewhat of a disappointment, but at least was overwhelming in the vast majority of his post-season games. AND, he played on TWO title teams.

IMHO, Ewing would have been better suited as a "second-banana" behind a truly GREAT player. He, himself, was just not a true leader, that could take over a game. He was an Artis Gilmore-type player (maybe slightly better.)
    I guess according to you, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Elgin Baylor, Dominique Wilkens, George Gervin, Iverson, Bernard King wasn't a great player either.
    You can add David Robinson, Gary Payton, Scottie Pippen since they got their rings because they didn't lead and carry their team to the championship either.

I guess it was Ewing's fault that he had to be in the same conference as Jordan and that he had to faced him so many times, who arguably is the greatest player of all time and also the top 5 team of all time.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    I guess according to you, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Charles Barkley, Elgin Baylor, Dominique Wilkens, George Gervin, Iverson, Bernard King wasn't a great player either.
    You can add David Robinson, Gary Payton, Scottie Pippen since they got their rings because they didn't lead and carry their team to the championship either.

I guess it was Ewing's fault that he had to be in the same conference as Jordan and that he had to faced him so many times, who arguably is the greatest player of all time and also the top 5 team of all time.
    All of those players you mentioned were AMONG the best players of their eras. NONE of them were THE best. That is not a knock on ANY of them. But that is EXACTLY my argument. Ewing was a very good player, who played in the MJ, (and to a lessor extent, Hakeem) era (or if you go back to the 80's...Magic-Bird.)

Once again, compare what Duncan accomplished, in the Shaq-Kobe era, with what Ewing achieved. Similar players in terms of stats, but in terms of "clutch" and team chemistry...not even close.

SmoothRED
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Nope, I'll take the guy who actually shows up in the playoffs.
    That would be neither, neither of them were anything special in the playoffs. The fact that Ewing never did anything special against the Bulls frontcourt should show you that he wasn't any more clutch than Admiral was.

3-time NBA All-Star

I think a better question would be...where does Ewing rank among the all-time greats to have played in the NBA?

Most would probably rank him in the Top-50. I would even question that.

SmoothRED

I think a better question would be...where does Ewing rank among the all-time greats to have played in the NBA?

Most would probably rank him in the Top-50. I would even question that.
    Wow, you must have never watched him play. He's Top 35 at the worst. I have him in my Top 30. Some probably have him in the Top 20 or even 25.

But on the other hand, if Ewing wasn't in NY, nobody would even care why he didn't win...

-Smak

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothRED
    Wow, you must have never watched him play. He's Top 35 at the worst. I have him in my Top 30. Some probably have him in the Top 20 or even 25.
    Makes for an interesting discussion...

I'll think about it. Maybe other's can supply their take. GOAT has him at #41. Probably reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by U got Served
    Top 3 reasons why Ewing never won a title....
    1)Michael Jordan
    2)Scottie Pippen
    3)Hakeem Olajuwon

/thread

I am your soldier!

Makes for an interesting discussion...

I'll think about it. Maybe other's can supply their take. GOAT has him at #41. Probably reasonable.
    I'd put him between 30-25 on my list... Just saying. He was a great player, and just couldn't get over the hump. He had huge games in the playoffs, but a few mistakes by him and teammates kept them short of the title.

From 89-90 to 98-99 they lost to the eventual champions 7 times, twice in the finals! Detroit, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Houston, Chicago, and Spurs. They had a really good team, just didn't have the luck.

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Ewing in 1990 was better than Robinson ever was as well.
    He was very good in 1990. He came up with some monster performances to help the Knicks overcome an 0-2 deficit against the Celtics in the first round that year.

Game 3 -- 33 pts, 19 rebs

Game 4 -- 44 pts, 13 rebs, 5 asts

Game 5 -- 31 pts, 8 rebs, 10 asts -- Almost a triple double in a do-or-die situation on the road which also includes THE back-breaker 3pt shot to seal the series victory

I'm actually posting these games right now. Games 1-3 are already posted. Game 4 will be posted later today and Game 5 sometime this weekend.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    I'd put him between 30-25 on my list... Just saying. He was a great player, and just couldn't get over the hump. He had huge games in the playoffs, but a few mistakes by him and teammates kept them short of the title.

From 89-90 to 98-99 they lost to the eventual champions 7 times, twice in the finals! Detroit, Chicago, Chicago, Chicago, Houston, Chicago, and Spurs. They had a really good team, just didn't have the luck.
    Professor,

I am just curious...can you post your Top-30? I have always respected your opinions here...so it would be worth looking at.

Incidently...a quick kudos to GOAT here...

Has anyone ever done a better job of explaining their Top- list? I just wish he would get to the finish line. I can hardly wait.

robertshaw_1

ewing woudnt win a championship in the 60