Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are we a low risk, low reward society?

Do you find that people in general are a minimal effort society? That they are willing to accept the low risk low reward route over putting maximum effort to achieve the highest goal possible? Whether it be marriage, relationships, occupation, personal goals and records?
    I think even the effort to be courteous and proper etiquette is very minimal.

What do you posters think?

Default Re: Are we a low risk, low reward society?

I think if I had to guess, people in general would prefer to do the least effort possible. It is just natural. Putting in effort takes energy, it is painful, distressing. People would rather do the least amount possible for the lowest threshold of life they are willing to accept.

Having nothing to do, no responsibilities, no need to really do anything you don't want to at any time- that is what people are striving for. Retirement, vacation, weekends. We work only to earn those sweet moments of nothing..

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    I think if I had to guess, people in general would prefer to do the least effort possible. It is just natural. Putting in effort takes energy, it is painful, distressing. People would rather do the least amount possible for the lowest threshold of life they are willing to accept.

Having nothing to do, no responsibilities, no need to really do anything you don't want to at any time- that is what people are striving for. Retirement, vacation, weekends. We work only to earn those sweet moments of nothing..
    I find that resonates in a lot of different aspects in life
    My marriage is rough...I'll just divorce, much simpler
    I want to be a successful business owner...I'll never get there, I'm comfortable being an assistant manager. It's enough to get me by
    I can't lose weight no matter what I do...What's a good weight loss pill where I don't have to exercise?

This is how I see the world

Quote Originally Posted by hateraid
    I find that resonates in a lot of different aspects in life
    My marriage is rough...I'll just divorce, much simpler
    I want to be a successful business owner...I'll never get there, I'm comfortable being an assistant manager. It's enough to get me by
    I can't lose weight no matter what I do...What's a good weight loss pill where I don't have to exercise?

This is how I see the world
    I think a lot of people are that way. Not all though. Look at like, Stephen Curry. The amount of hours and effort this guy must have put in to be as great of a shooter as he is. Lawyers who will work 16 hour days during a big case.

The weight loss thing I definitely notice. Because I do a version of paleo, and so every time someone complains to me about their weight, I excitedly tell them about this diet I do. I tell them they are guaranteed to lose weight doing it, there is no question about it. I show them success stories, before and after pictures of people losing TREMENDOUS amounts of weight. I tell them about all the great foods you can still eat, and how you never have to count calories or starve yourself. And all I hear is.. ''but I couldn't live without pizza. I couldn't live without bagels. I couldn't live without Hershey bars.'' I understand that it is not easy, but people just dismiss it the second they realize there is some small level of sacrifice.

It's true to some extent. Did you know Einstein was said to have 20 identical suit so he doesn't have to spend any thought on what to wear? What a low effort bastard.

People would, as you said, settle for being an assistant manager yet they update their facebook all day long. That's actually a lot of effort. They're actually putting a lot of effort into things, just not the things where they don't enjoy the process and have uncertain outcome.

Security vs potential of high reward.

This is why business owners rightfully make way more than their employees. The employee gets his same paycheck whether the business has a good month or a bad month. The employee seems to think he should get more when the company does really well, but he never thinks he should take less when the company does poorly. The security of always getting the same paycheck has a cost. If the company makes a huge profit, the guy taking the risks gets the payoff.

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    It's true to some extent. Did you know Einstein was said to have 20 identical suit so he doesn't have to spend any thought on what to wear? What a low effort bastard.

People would, as you said, settle for being an assistant manager yet they update their facebook all day long. That's actually a lot of effort. They're actually putting a lot of effort into things, just not the things where they don't enjoy the process and have uncertain outcome.
    On the contrary I think social media is the laziest way to maximize communication to reach the most people

Decent playground baller

It is true for many, but some definitely take a shot, usually at some sort of celebrity stardom, and most of those fall flat.

National High School Star

Do you find that people in general are a minimal effort society? That they are willing to accept the low risk low reward route over putting maximum effort to achieve the highest goal possible?

What do you posters think?
    What's wrong with choosing security over the real pitfalls of high risk?

"Everybody's got a space to fill....Everybody can't be on top"-Prince Rogers Nelson

I know a person(& other people I'm sure) who practices their musical instruments & studies music for hours to detriment of their personal/financial lives ,but have no music contract. Justin Beiber is worth millions.

When do you accept reality & your lot in life?

Or does one spend their lives continually engaging in high risk pursuits that keeps them financially & emotionally bankrupt?

"Everybody can't be on top".
    Last edited by 32jazz; 03-27-2015 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz

"Everybody's got a space to fill....Everybody can't be on top"-Prince Rogers Nelson

I know a person(& other people I'm sure) who practice their musical instruments & study music for hours to detriment of their personal/financial lives ,but have no music contract. Justin Beiber is worth millions.

Or does one spend their lives continually engaging in high risk pursuits that keeps them financially & emotionally bankrupt?

But if that's your approach in EVERYTHING in life then it's called being mediocre. It's one thing to be realistic, it's another thing to brush everything off and chose the minimal requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    The best way? Something not taking much effort doesn't mean it's lazy

I agree it's the best way. But isn't that the definition of going the route with the least amount of effort? I wasn't criticizing it. The response to me before pointed out how much effort it takes to use social media.

I know a person(& other people I'm sure) who practices their musical instruments & studies music for hours to detriment of their personal/financial lives ,but have no music contract. Justin Beiber is worth millions.

For some people life is not worth living if you aren't taking those risks. Maybe this person you know would rather fail tragically with their music than succeed marginally and accept their lot in life.

On the contrary I think social media is the laziest way to maximize communication to reach the most people
    It's still a large effort on their part. You can substitute that example with, doing makeup, gardening, knitting etc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Or maybe they just like playing music and don't want to be a pop sensation
    Sometimes I dream, that Bieber is me

By this theory it means nobody should try. So it's a bad example. That and the fact the Beiber's of the world struck a lottery in the industry. They're incredibly lucky. There are billions of baby faces with his musical talent that didn't catch the same break.
    Also do apply this to my example of marriage? Do you look around and say, "Well the divorce rate is at 60%, I'll stay married for the norm." What of all the relationships and bonds created within the family? What of all the time and effort to build it? It's easier to just divorce once it goes wrong. Should that be the social norm?