Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isolation Pace

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Isolation Pace

Isolation pace is defined as how fast a player can take advantage of a 1-on-1 situation.. The faster iso pace a player has, the more often they will be able to isolate.

The off-ball, triple-threat (TT) moves shown above have a higher iso pace than live-dribbling/ball-domination, which allows TT players to isolate more often.. However, all high-scoring wings in today's game are ball-dominators - most of Harden and Lebron's league-leading isolation frequency is achieved via the more time-consuming ball-domination.. So even though Harden, Lebron, and other wings already iso more than anything else, their iso frequency would be even higher if their repertoire contained some of the TT moves shown above that have better/faster iso pace.

Also, off-ball or would-be TT players haven't caught the ball yet, so their actions are harder to anticipate - it's almost impossible to stop a good TT player from catching the ball and iso'ing quickly (see the Jordan GIFs above).. Otoh, the defense always knows who the ballhandler is - this extra transparency makes it easier to prevent isolations from ball-dominators than from off-ball players.

CLIFFS: Isolation pace measures how fast a player takes advantage of 1-on-1 situations.. Previous era wings had faster iso pace because their off-ball and triple-threat style allowed them to make moves more quickly without being so transparent - their quick-iso surprise attacks were more effective and could be done more OFTEN than today's longer, predictable attempts to iso via live dribbling/ball-domination.
    Last edited by 3ball; 04-14-2015 at 05:32 PM.

Default Re: Isolation Pace

C'mon son.

What about Free throw pace?

NBA Superstar

Didn't read or watch.

So is this the third measure you've pulled out of your ass to prop Jordan? I've lost count

I love OP's creativity with his stanning, it's actually quite refreshing.

I think this is an interesting topic, because I think it's the most effective way to play. Get the ball, make a quick move to score as fast as possible. No over dribbling at all. It's how I play the game.

When I see the teenager's play, it's sad. They just keep doing the same dribble over and over, and over and over again, and then finally, after about 15 to 20 seconds they finally make a real move. With me, get the ball, do a quick move, wide open, score. Completely skipping that nonsense.

But as that over dribbling puts them in a la la land kind of state, where they think they're really really good, and it's good for their confidence. But they're just not going to improve.

Jordan was overrated

[COLOR="White"]Jk[/COLOR]

Interesting insight. Good thread.

Here's the NBA's definition of an isolation for their player-stat-tracking purposes ("offensive isolations" is the 2nd play type listed):

http://stats.nba.com/playtype/#!/

ISOLATIONS: When the possession-ending event is created during a “one-on-one” matchup. The defender needs to be set and have all of his defensive options at the initiation of the play.

So that means when a player catches the ball and quickly takes advantage of a 1-on-1 situation against a set defender with moves out of the triple-threat (like the GIFs above), the NBA considers it an isolation play - if these types of plays are isolations, then clearly, triple-threat and catch-and-go moves can isolate faster (take advantage of 1-on-1 situations faster) than live dribbling/ball-domination.

How fast a player can take advantage of a 1-on-1 situation is being called isolation pace in this thread (iso pace).. The faster iso pace a player and their moves have, the more often they will be able to isolate.
    Last edited by 3ball; 04-02-2015 at 01:21 PM.

NBA rookie of the year Da KO King's Avatar

The most creative player worship post I've ever seen

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Da KO King
    The most creative player worship post I've ever seen

Player worship? These are facts about rule differences and stylistic changes over the past 20 years of the NBA.

NBA rookie of the year

So your saying Carmelo is the GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMax

So your saying Carmelo is the GOAT?
    Melo can't take advantage of 1-on-1 situations nearly as good OR quickly:

You can't compare this type of 1-on-1, iso-ability to the rudimentary stuff Melo does - and MJ does that stuff better too.
    Last edited by 3ball; 03-30-2015 at 02:01 AM.

3ball just deleted his bump post, about to re-post it