Default Are there always this many injuries? Or has the last few years been particularly bad?

There are always ankle sprains and whatnot going around but man, there are a ton of bad injuries to high profile players this and the past few seasons. Or is it always like this and my memory is playing tricks on me?

Default Re: Are there always this many injuries? Or has the last few years been particularly bad?

Injuries have been happening since the NBA started.

Mo Stokes being paralyzed
    Elgin Baylor messing up his knee
    Wilt Chamberlain shattering his knee
    Dave Bing messing up his eye
    David Thompsons destroying his knee
    Bernard Kings tear
    Michael Jordan breaking leg
    Ralp Sampson going down
    Larry Birds back
    Kevin Johnson
    Tim Hardaway
    Anfernee Hardaway
    Grant Hill
    Tracy McGrady
    Yao Ming
    Gilbert Arenas
    Brandon Roy
    Greg Oden
    Paul George

Things happen.

College superstar

Default Re: Are there always this many injuries? Or has the last few years been particularly bad?

Don't remember where I read it to properly give credit where it's due... but someone hypothesized that we are seeing more ligament/joint injuries due to improved physical conditioning/prowess. Seems counter-intuitive, but they made a solid point. Perhaps medicine/training/lifting etc has progressed more quickly than the body's tolerance? So the uber- quick/strong/agile/fast stops, starts, plants, etc wear on the body.

Oh, and the ever-present media coverage. It's grown exponentially in just the last ten years, much less last fifty. So any injury is "breaking news" now.