Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: So can we agree that the MAVS should have re signed Tyson Chandler

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    wasn't there a big thing about deron saying he wanted to go play in dallas and buying a house there or something? I guess they thought if they had deron dwight would follow which is probably a pretty likely scenario as dwight really wanted to play with deron
    Yeah.. The one thing no one really mentions is that Dwight opted in with orlando that one year he was about to become a FA... if him and DWill were FAs at the same time then I think they both sign with dallas

So dwight possibly ****ed up Dallas big time

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Cuban missed a meeting?

I agree that Chandler is overpaid, but in the context of what he brought to the Mavs, and how he was a huge part in them winning a championship i'm genuinly surprised Cuban wasn't willing to shell out the dough

Cuban spent 10+ years throwing $$$$$ at players to put around Dirk in hopes of winning a championship, and when they finally accomplish this goal, he just..stops trying

It kind of pissed me off as a basketball fan, felt like he conceded to being mediocre after winning a chip
    Yep. He missed the meeting to film an episode of Shark Tank Not even kidding.

It also sucks to see Dirk waste a couple of very productive years with mediocre supporting casts on one year deals.. obviously in hindsight, it's easy to be upset at the decision but damn, being mediocre sucks Who really knows what the Mavs would look like right now..

Serious playground baller Fazotronic's Avatar

smart fans always knew that the mavs only needed a defensiv center to put along side dirk and you get a deep playoff run everytime.
    heck dirk alone always brought them in to the playoffs and when he finally gets one, they win the title.

Restructure by deciding how long you want to be bad. And pick 2 years; then trade for Amare and get out of sanders, mayo, and Ersan.

Sanders, illyasova, ok mayo, Neal

For

Amare, Tim hardaway jr, Felton, 2018 1st rd pick, Aldrich

Quote Originally Posted by kenny817
    Not for $60 f*ckin million

Dirk made him the most overrated player of all time

Chandler has played with CP3, Dirk, and Melo

1 of those 3 has been a champion...the other two are NBA career LOSERS
    Dirk has 0 playoff wins since. I don't like Tyson, since I agree he is overrated, but he is worth a lot to someone like Dirk. Let's relax now. Take him off the Knicks, and give us something for him because I don't care to have him in NY anymore

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Dirk has 0 playoff wins since. I don't like Tyson, since I agree he is overrated, but he is worth a lot to someone like Dirk. Let's relax now. Take him off the Knicks, and give us something for him because I don't care to have him in NY anymore
    This MAVS team with Chandler would be dangerous, of course by signing Chandler they might not have the money for Monta, but there a numerous players in the league who can bring 80% of what Monta brings for half the price.

An elite rim protector is the most important piece you can acquire when building around a player like Dirk.

Funny thing is the MAVS searched for a center to put next to Dirk for YEARS, hell they signed Eric Dampier to a HUGE contract, they used to be desperate for centers, then when they finally find one and when a championship the first year, they..let..him..walk..

Last edited by TheMarkMadsen; 02-02-2014 at 11:06 PM.

It depends. They weren't winning another title with or without Chandler, but they certainly would have been a better team. With the new salary cap rules, I think it's actually better to hover below the cap until you think you have a real chance to compete. Spending over the cap just to make the playoffs doesn't make sense anymore, because you only have a 2-3 year window to capitalize before the repeater tax kicks in.

I usually hit open layups

Chandler needs Dirk to win another ring, thats for sure.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    This MAVS team with Chandler would be dangerous, of course by signing Chandler they might not have the money for Monta, but there a numerous players in the league who can bring 80% of what Monta brings for half the price.

An elite rim protector is the most important piece you can acquire when building around a player like Dirk.

Funny thing is the MAVS searched for a center to put next to Dirk for YEARS, hell they signed Eric Dampier to a HUGE contract, they used to be desperate for centers, then when they finally find one and when a championship the first year, they..let..him..walk..

Same production as Monta for half the price??? WHERE?

Monta is averaging 20 points/6 assists/4 rebounds/2 steals a game

And makes like $7 mil. Please tell me where this player is that produces like this at $3.5 mil

I might be a minority here. But are we just going to let Chandler slide for not taking that one year deal? I know players have to look out for themselves, but Chandler knew they had something good with Dirk.

He knew the new cap rules would make it difficult for him to get the contract he wanta with Dallas. But somehow uses that as an excuse to wash his hands off his absurd NY deal

Dirk
    Tyson
    Deron

Man that sounded good in 2012

Local High School Star Magic731's Avatar

I don't blame them at all. I don't know about you guys but I really don't think they would have been able to repeat had they resigned Chandler. No way Miami let them win 2 years in a row. They made the decision with forward thinking in mind, they had won the chip so it wasn't as if that had to act fast to get a team around Dirk before he started to slow down. It's unfortunate that it didn't work out and it's easy for us to sit here now and ask this question but at the time I don't think there was any doubt it was the right decision.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

Chandler might be the most overrated player in the league. He's not that good, and resigning him instead of going after those FA would not have come close to guaranteeing a championship level team for Dallas.

The 2011 championship was the perfect storm of the Mavs peaking at the right time, roleplayers stepping up, Dirk going godmode on everyone and a Lebron choke. It was lightning in a bottle that wouldn't have happened again, TC or not.

Delusional? I'm sure they weren't far off of getting Howard... game of taking risks, this stuff happens.

None the less, Dirk=GOAT at carrying teams in the playoffs, will do the same this year... trust the holy german

Chandler is helly overrated btw. Great defender, not dpoy stuff, but great. On offense? hardly useable.

It was a justifiable gamble. Even with Tyson, their chance to repeat was limited (I think they at least make it to the second round in 2012, but they're unlikely to go past San Antonio, OKC and Miami unless Dirk goes on a legendary Hakeem style underdog run), so they went for a bold "lose in first round this year in exchange for possibly contending for the championship the two following years" approach. It didn't pay off, but it was a really tough call either way.