Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: What is 76ers GM, Sam Hinke, doing?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    What he's doing is getting picks that he can package in the future. Trading an expirer for and expirer and picks is a win. Hinkie is doing just fine. You have to realize that the Sixers had no leverage w Turner because the whole league knew the Sixers weren't going to resign him. They made smart moves not bad ones.
    2nd round picks doesnt count as assets. no trade value, and how often does 2nd round picks pan out?

Quote Originally Posted by kurple
    2nd round picks doesnt count as assets. no trade value, and how often does 2nd round picks pan out?
    How often do non lottery picks pan out? Plenty of solid role players in the NBA courtesy of the 2nd rd. How do 2nd rd picks not count as assets yet teams trade them, package them in trades? Cavs had 3 2nd rd picks, no trade value yet they went for Spencer Hawes. Wait what?

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    How often do non lottery picks pan out? Plenty of solid role players in the NBA courtesy of the 2nd rd. How do 2nd rd picks not count as assets yet teams trade them, package them in trades? Cavs had 3 2nd rd picks, no trade value yet they went for Spencer Hawes. Wait what?
    they got hawes because the sixers are stupid

no team will give up a good pick or good young prospect for 2-3 2nd round picks on draft night

Default Re: What is Philadelphia 76ers GM, Sam Hinke, doing?

a 2nd round pick can get you guys like byron mullens or austin daye. is that really what the sixers want?

Quote Originally Posted by blacknapalm
    Tankadelphia

a 2nd round pick can get you guys like byron mullens or austin daye. is that really what the sixers want?
    you can package 2nd rd picks and a player to move into the 1st just enough to grab a player who the 6ers may like

the 76ers already have a couple of high first rounders.. they parlay those 2nd picks into another first round pick

someone already mention all the good players Hinke has drafted in the 2nd rd

Luis Scola
    Chandler Parsons
    Carl Landry
    Chase Budinger

The Sixers need to put together a team. You can't say the Sixers are stupid for getting 2 2nd rd picks for a guy they were going to lose at seasons end. They got something for nothing. What happens to those 2 2nd rd picks? Who knows.

Mario Chalmers has been the Heat starting PG for quite some time. Danny Green has been a solid role player for the Spurs adding a 3pt shooter and perimeter defense. Chandler Parsons has been solid for the Rockets as a 3pt threat and playmaker. Kyle Korver is one of the leagues best 3pt snipers.

Sixers are going to need quality role players, glue guys to fill out the roster. In a deep draft class the Sixers have options to do their homework and evaluate talent by using the picks, maybe using them to move up. I'm not going to sit here and say they have been a shitload of talented players in the 2nd rd. But if your team can scout right you may get lucky. Whats wrong with having the option to possibly add a role player or two for nothing (Hawes)?

Sixers could f*ck up those picks or they could do something worthwhile with them via selection or trade. No you're not trading 2 2nd rd picks for a lottery pick. But if Sixers are using Pelicans pick and say they are at 12. And want to get to 10? 2nd rd picks plus the Pelicans pick may be enough to trade up and get your guy. Options and yes I'm fully aware Sixers could botch them.

Re-writing the books on how to take tanking to the grandest level.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Noel, MCW, + top 3 pick this year = future

Who cares about Hawes and Turner?
    In 3 years Noel and MCW or one of them will probably not be on the team anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    In 3 years Noel and MCW or one of them will probably not be on the team anymore.
    Based on what

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

The Sixers need to put together a team. You can't say the Sixers are stupid for getting 2 2nd rd picks for a guy they were going to lose at seasons end. They got something for nothing. What happens to those 2 2nd rd picks? Who knows.

Mario Chalmers has been the Heat starting PG for quite some time. Danny Green has been a solid role player for the Spurs adding a 3pt shooter and perimeter defense. Chandler Parsons has been solid for the Rockets as a 3pt threat and playmaker. Kyle Korver is one of the leagues best 3pt snipers.

Sixers are going to need quality role players, glue guys to fill out the roster. In a deep draft class the Sixers have options to do their homework and evaluate talent by using the picks, maybe using them to move up. I'm not going to sit here and say they have been a shitload of talented players in the 2nd rd. But if your team can scout right you may get lucky. Whats wrong with having the option to possibly add a role player or two for nothing (Hawes)?

Sixers could f*ck up those picks or they could do something worthwhile with them via selection or trade. No you're not trading 2 2nd rd picks for a lottery pick. But if Sixers are using Pelicans pick and say they are at 12. And want to get to 10? 2nd rd picks plus the Pelicans pick may be enough to trade up and get your guy. Options and yes I'm fully aware Sixers could botch them.
    You shoulda heard Hinkie on 610 yesterday. Anthony interviewed him and it was awesome. He explained their plan and answered all the questions thoroughly. He was saying that they are in this for the long haul. He has not interest in bringing in any free agents right now (expensive ones) and just wants to build through the draft and with a coach who is on board and a good teacher with a system in place that they believe in. They are doing it the San Antonio/OKC way. He said to expect the team to be bad next year too because he feels that you have to really get that bad before you get good. There aren't any real shortcuts. He also said that they can miss on a guy in the draft of they could draft a bust and was being very candid. Also, what people need to remember about second round picks is that you can get a young guy in Europe and you can also get a guy who came out too early and you can develop them. After that interview I feel even more confident in Hinkie and their long term plan. I'm totally on board and I don't care that they are gonna suck next year too.

You shoulda heard Hinkie on 610 yesterday. Anthony interviewed him and it was awesome. He explained their plan and answered all the questions thoroughly. He was saying that they are in this for the long haul. He has not interest in bringing in any free agents right now (expensive ones) and just wants to build through the draft and with a coach who is on board and a good teacher with a system in place that they believe in. They are doing it the San Antonio/OKC way. He said to expect the team to be bad next year too because he feels that you have to really get that bad before you get good. There aren't any real shortcuts. He also said that they can miss on a guy in the draft of they could draft a bust and was being very candid. Also, what people need to remember about second round picks is that you can get a young guy in Europe and you can also get a guy who came out too early and you can develop them. After that interview I feel even more confident in Hinkie and their long term plan. I'm totally on board and I don't care that they are gonna suck next year too.
    I agree 100%

Nice and I've always felt it would be in the best interest for the Sixers to stink next season as well. I look at free agency and there isn't much worth killing not only your cap but screwing yourself for a few years. What he is saying is what I was hoping the Sixers had in mind. Good to hear. Going to see if there is articles on this interview or not. I like the mindset Hinkie.

Nice and I've always felt it would be in the best interest for the Sixers to stink next season as well. I look at free agency and there isn't much worth killing not only your cap but screwing yourself for a few years. What he is saying is what I was hoping the Sixers had in mind. Good to hear. Going to see if there is articles on this interview or not. I like the mindset Hinkie.
    Pretty much the Detroit mode for the last few years. Made big FA signings (Ben Gordon, Charlie V), traded away players that turned out to be pretty good (Afflalo, A Johnson). It's pretty interesting how Hinkie and Morey worked together for so long in Houston, but the strategy Hinkie has for the Sixers couldn't be more different than the Rockets. I'll be very interested in observing the 76ers for the next few seasons, considering Morey went for the 'go for the 8th seed every year' whereas Hinkie has gone full tank mode.

College superstar BlackWhiteGreen's Avatar

I'm totally on board and I don't care that they are gonna suck next year too.
    I'm fairly optimistic that, if Noel can be the player he was once slated to be, and Wiggins or Parker with MCW, they can be an interesting team. I don't think they'll be in the playoffs next year, but I wouldn't expect to see them around the bottom 3 again.