Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore Aussie Outcast's Avatar

How many of you guys actually play basketball. Have I mis read or has nobody said it yet? Best way to help with muscle sorness is to have a shower of as cold as possible for 1 minute and then switch to as hot as you can take for a minute and repeat as many times as possible.

Banned

I play basketball regularly, and cutting my leggs off for being sore is the best thing I could have ever done to improve my game.

Get a lot of sleep. If you get like 6hours of sleep your legs will be killed, but if you get like 12h your legs will be much better. Trust me

Are there not products for immediate relief... Icy hot for example?

I generally just stick it out, go to sleep, and it's usually better in the AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
    I play basketball regularly, and cutting my leggs off for being sore is the best thing I could have ever done to improve my game.
    Gotta agree with this statement. I don't have legs anymore, but NO ONE is even close to competing with me in wheel chair basketball. I'm like a disabled MJ now.

Not airballing my layups anymore Spurs3's Avatar

eat green veggies, and stop eating chicken sandwiches

Default bananas

something incredibly simple and that could help you a lot is eating bananas.

when i started training ball seriously i had kind of the same problem, and i started including bananas in my breakfast. its impressive what that can do for your muscles. then i noticed that even some professional tennis players eat bananas during tough games (or at least i saw federer and nadal do so).

its something very simple, your legs will feel better, and in the worst of cases it wont affect you.

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

how does Lebron James get around the day eating fried chicken and curly fries before agame?

WilliamPhiladelphiaSmith
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default sdf

Quote Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
    how does Lebron James get around the day eating fried chicken and curly fries before agame?
    Apparently hiz dad is a rich man's David Hasselhoff.

Genetics are key!!!

Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    That's a bit misleading. You can't make a general statement like that without knowing the specific cause of the pain, or when even to apply the heat/cold. If it's an injury, ice helps. If just overuse, heat can be effective if applied after the muscles have sufficiently cooled down to increase blood flow. Your statement that constricted blood vessels aid recovery is totally false. Bloodflow and nutrients are what cause recovery, and less blood and nutrients get in to a muscle if its cold and constricted. Ice is only to reduce swelling.
    no no no. You never apply heat to overused muscles. Heat goes on joints and other places where blood flow may not be good.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/r...heatorcold.htm

Heat Therapy
    Heat is generally used for chronic injuries or injuries that have no inflammation. Sore, stiff, nagging muscle or joint pain is ideal for the use of heat therapy. Athletes with chronic pain or injuries may use heat therapy before exercise to increase the elasticity of joint connective tissues and to stimulate blood flow. Heat can also help relax tight or spasmed mucsles. Do not apply heat after exercise.

Because heat increases circulation and raises skin temperature you should not apply heat to acute injuries or injuries that show signs of inflammation. Safely apply heat to an injury 15 to 20 minutes at a time and use enough layers between your skin and the heating source to prevent burns. Moist heat is best so you could try using a hot wet towel. Specialty hot packs can be purchased or you may use a heating pad. Never leave heating pads on for more than 20 minutes at a time or while sleeping.

Because some injuries can be serious, you should see your doctor if your injury does not improve or gets worse within 48 hours.

Default .....

The Banana thing is good for electrolyte replenishment and quick carbs due to the fact that it has tons of potassium and has a high glycemic level..
    Have you ever thought about supplementing? Use glutamine. It will help to buffer lactic acid, help muscle recovery and speed the healing proccess. Always use a good protien after any activity, and drink alot of water.

Unregistered
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster
    Do not apply heat after exercise.
    That's a bit misleading. You can't make a general statement like that without knowing the specific cause of the pain, or when even to apply the heat/cold. If it's an injury, ice helps. If just overuse, heat can be effective if applied after the muscles have sufficiently cooled down to increase blood flow. Your statement that constricted blood vessels aid recovery is totally false. Bloodflow and nutrients are what cause recovery, and less blood and nutrients get in to a muscle if its cold and constricted. Ice is only to reduce swelling
    If you had read my post, you'd realize that I'm not talking about using heat immediately after exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster
    You never apply heat to overused muscles. Heat goes on joints and other places where blood flow may not be good.
    From the Sports Medicine Journal you just cited:
    Sore, stiff, nagging muscle or joint pain is ideal for the use of heat therapy. Athletes with chronic pain or injuries may use heat therapy before exercise to increase the elasticity of joint connective tissues and to stimulate blood flow. Heat can also help relax tight or spasmed mucsles
    The sources you quoted against me seem to recommend everything that I just recommended.

Very good NBA starter

stretch before AND after games.

turns illusions for $ ShannonElements's Avatar

Get laid. That always helps.

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: