Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Gasol talked with the Spurs? That would be insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderfan86
    What makes you think he wouldn't start for OKC? Perkins is gone if we get Gasol.
    I was counting on Perkins staying. If not, obviously different situation.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I'm still struggling to see what moves teams could make to beat the Spurs... with or without Gasol.

Heat: Looking like Gortat, Lowry, Ariza, or even Pau wont happen
    Rockets: Melo gives them more offense, but not necessarily a bigger defensive presence.
    Thunder: Been pretty quiet this off season. Not even sure what they're going after
    Pacers: Not happening
    Bulls: Possibly, if they get Melo, but people are saying now that it most likely won't happen

The best move possible would probably be Melo to Dallas. That could beat the Spurs, but I'm not sure how likely this is

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    In OKC he can start and play for an easier coach that won't get onto him and shit. Oh, and we'll be favorites and he'll get to play right alongside his best friend Ibaka.

GASOL TO OKC
    Gasol on spurs > thunder. Gasol gets phazed out by iso ball.

Miami will beat Spurs. Spurs will be one year older and maybe even slightly less motivated after the championship. They were lucking facing a Miami that besides the big 3 were rotten. Even the like of Marvin Williams, Shawn Marion and Emeka Okafor would make a big difference from this years Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    Miami will beat Spurs. Spurs will be one year older and maybe even slightly less motivated after the championship. They were lucking facing a Miami that besides the big 3 were rotten. Even the like of Marvin Williams, Shawn Marion and Emeka Okafor would make a big difference from this years Miami.
    I love your confidence. Miami is going back to the Finals, even though you don't know who the other 5+ players are on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    I love your confidence. Miami is going back to the Finals, even though you don't know who the other 5+ players are on the team.
    In the East with the best player in the world I'm very positive Miami will be back in the finals. It's not exactly a stretch, is it?

Also the other 5+ players can't be worse than this years team.

shhhhhhh

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that argument used against the Spurs I'd have a big old bucket of nickels

You do realize the Heat were older by average age right?

NBA Legend

Pau would not fit ideally alongside OKCs players on the court IMO, and its also prob not the best fit personality wise given how much younger the Thunder are.

Spurs are a team that plays like a euro team and is full of 30+ yr old vets like Pau. It just makes so much sense for him to wind up there from that standpoint. Contract and playing time are obviously the questions he'll likely want answered before signing.

The fact he hasnt shown much interest in other high-IQ veteran teams like Memphis or Dallas tells me he still wants to be a starter.

Im gonna go on record predicting Miami. Seems like the best combination of playing time and a chance to make the finals. 2nd most likely is the Spurs IMO but they just gave Splitter a contract and could be bringing Diaw back, the minutes situation would be very dicey.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that argument used against the Spurs I'd have a big old bucket of nickels
    lol seriously. I think that every year and they always prove otherwise

I think outside of the big 3, they are the youngest team in the league or close to it.

Local High School Star

I dont like pau on the spurs. I cant shake the image of him being soft old and slow. I would definitely like to see him out of la and on to a team that could use him better

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    lol seriously. I think that every year and they always prove otherwise

I think outside of the big 3, they are the youngest team in the league or close to it.
    You meant oldest right?

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

Gasol's style of play would fit very very well with San Antonio. My only concern for him, is the same concern I have with him the last couple years on the Lakers... his defensive play. Offensively Pau is terrific, great passer, a ton of moves around the basket, nice touch on his shot... but, he gets pushed out of position really easily, out rebounded constantly and he's really slow on his rotations and especially, pick and roll defense. He just doesn't seem to compete like he once did. Not sure it's age, the constant trade rumors, or what, but the last couple years he just doesn't seem to be locked in the majority of the time.

Maybe a fresh start, with a coach like Pop and a solid system around him that knows how to utilize his skill set would do the trick (d'antoni completely wasted his abilities).... but who knows. He may only be 33, but the last couple years he's played like he was much older.

I hope the Lakers bring him back. I like Pau a lot, for what he brought to us and for what I think he can still bring on the court. He's a team player. Guys like that are rare in today's game.

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    I know But the lack of motivation part combined with age is I guess what I was trying to allude to.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    You meant oldest right?

I think he was talkin bout the spurz