Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Dunking on everybody in the park CardiacKemba's Avatar

Default Re: I just realized how stacked Dallas is now

Read on twitter yesterday that the average age of Kidd/Terry/Marion/Odom/Nowitzki is like 34. With the huge losses of Chandler and Barea (even Stephenson, hit huge daggers in the Finals), they won't be the team they just were. Also, that hunger from Dirk and Kidd to finally win that title will be gone, despite what they say.

Decent college freshman

Since when is JJ Barea a "huge loss"?

I am a Mavs fan and I love the little guy, but come on people. He's not a starter on any team in the NBA. If you actually watched any of the regular season, JJ has so many face palm moments. He gets stuffed atleast 50% of the time he tries to drive, he is not a good passer and his 3 is inconsistent. A healthy Roddy is better than JJ in every way.

Im glad he's getting paid, but Im really glad the Mavs arent the ones paying him.

Quote Originally Posted by bmulls
    Since when is JJ Barea a "huge loss"?

I am a Mavs fan and I love the little guy, but come on people. He's not a starter on any team in the NBA. If you actually watched any of the regular season, JJ has so many face palm moments. He gets stuffed atleast 50% of the time he tries to drive, he is not a good passer and his 3 is inconsistent. A healthy Roddy is better than JJ in every way.

Im glad he's getting paid, but Im really glad the Mavs arent the ones paying him.
    He was very good when it mattered in the finals, can Roddy play with that same confidence and swagger? who knows.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    He was very good when it mattered in the finals, can Roddy play with that same confidence and swagger? who knows.
    Nobody knows. But at the same time...could Barea have stepped up again? Could Chandler have?...Could Chandler have stayed healthy? Will Terry and Kidd revert back to sucking ass in the playoffs?

The truth is that no matter who the Mavs brought back....a title was still going to be an improbable chance. The team we have now is just as capable of having a magical run like last year. Is it likely? Of course not...but it wasn't likely even if we brought everyone back.

Local High School Star sixerfan3511's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by All Net
    A big reason why Dallas beat Miami was due to the play of Chandler and Barea. Chandler clogged the paint really well and made it tough for Miami to get easy shots...Barea came up with big shots and plays. Can they replace those kind of plays? I honestly don't think so....will they win the west? yeah maybe but I think winning it all again may be too tough.
    O no question. I know they're both big losses. I just see the talent they have and it's pretty astounding.

Magic Johnson

They pretty much look like your typical Mavs team pre-Chandler. They've got a lot of talented players, a couple misfits, a few overpaid guys, and then players like Vince Carter who may or may not be finished. Chandler put them over the top last season, last time I checked they haven't found a replacement for him.

Quote Originally Posted by sixerfan3511
    O no question. I know they're both big losses. I just see the talent they have and it's pretty astounding.
    Oh I agree, I still see them making the finals but can't see them repeating what they did against Miami that's all really.

Made that high school varsity squad pmj's Avatar

I think they'll still be good solely b/c of the fact that Dirk is a beast and his game will likely stay at a high level (b/c his J is so good).

But really, teams with one superstar and good depth usually don't win. Only 5 players can play at any given time and I think come playoff time, OKC, Memphis, Lakers, and a dark horse being the Clippers with CP3, have just as good of chance of coming out of the West as them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    They pretty much look like your typical Mavs team pre-Chandler. They've got a lot of talented players, a couple misfits, a few overpaid guys, and then players like Vince Carter who may or may not be finished. Chandler put them over the top last season, last time I checked they haven't found a replacement for him.
    Exactly. In the playoffs, a few teams will simply have better players starting at multiple positions. Depth helps, but unless their role players play out of their mind again, idk.

For example:
    OKC / Dallas
    Westbrook > Kidd
    Harden > Terry
    Durant > Marion
    Perk > Haywood

Can the bench overcome that? Maybe, but they better be clicking on all cylinders. I think Durant is gonna take a major step this year, dude seemed to be playing in every game he was physically able to be at this summer.
    Last edited by pmj; 12-13-2011 at 10:19 AM.

Chandler gave them the much-needed toughness that prevented them from winning in 2006 or the subsequent years. Lamar is great but I don't know about his mental state going into this season...and he's 32 years old. Vince Carter and Delonte West are trash, they looked like they were done last year.

Sounds like last offseason all over again. "Mavs are so old, they won't win a thing!". OKC might > Dallas in the regular reason. We all seen what happened in the playoffs last year..

Mavs had one of the most improbable playoffs run last time... odds are really stacked against them. Not saying they can't do it again but it's HIGHLY improbable

They say the hardest thing is to repeat as champions and I dont see them doing that with them not really getting younger. It's the same arguements for spurs

Local High School Star

Perimeter players are weak. Vince Carter does not help, in fact he'll make the team worst

The Mavs aren't keeping Fernandez by the way. Him alond Brewer are being moved to clear cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Point Blank
    Sounds like last offseason all over again. "Mavs are so old, they won't win a thing!". OKC might > Dallas in the regular reason. We all seen what happened in the playoffs last year..
    It's not an age thing, I don't really care why someone is less productive than they were, all I'm saying is right now, their starting players simply aren't as good as other teams starting players.

They probably were last year too, but young teams usually never win until they get experience. I'm not saying the Mavs aren't contenders, they will always be imo as long as Dirk basically has an unstoppable offensive game when they need a basket, but I'm just saying what the Mavs did is outside the norm; in that usually the team with more stars wins, that could be the Lakers, OKC, Heat, etc. We'll see.