3-time NBA All-Star

Default If you were told after the 08 season that ___ would happen, what would surprise you?

So lets say someone after 2008 season told you that ___ would've happened (or didn't happen) over the next 7 years. What would've greatly surprised you?

Here's my list:

Steph Curry would've been the best player in the league, MVP, and a champion. (This was right after his breakout NCAA tournament run)

Lebron "only" had 2 titles and had a losing record in the finals. (He was getting a ton of praise for leading the Cavs to the Finals the year before)

Kobe would've basically been done after the 2013 season. (Was praised for his durability and skillset).

Dirk would have led the Mavs to a title. (Looked like the Mavs' window was closed after the disappointing 06 Finals, 07 choke, and 08 first round knockout after only becoming a 7th seed)

Spurs would've made 2 more Finals and won 1 more title. (Looked like they clearly weren't at their 07 championship level and obviously getting older)

CP3 still hadn't gotten out of the 2nd round. (Looked like the Hornets were going to beat the Spurs in 08 but lost game 7 at home despite the home team winning every other game that series.)

Thoughts? Anything else to add?

Default Re: If you were told after the 08 season that ___ would happen, what would surprise you?

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    So lets say someone after 2008 season told you that ___ would've happened (or didn't happen) over the next 7 years. What would've greatly surprised you?

Here's my list:

Steph Curry would've been the best player in the league, MVP, and a champion. (This was right after his breakout NCAA tournament run)

Lebron "only" had 2 titles and had a losing record in the finals. (He was getting a ton of praise for leading the Cavs to the Finals the year before)

Kobe would've basically been done after the 2013 season. (Was praised for his durability and skillset).

Dirk would have led the Mavs to a title. (Looked like the Mavs' window was closed after the disappointing 06 Finals, 07 choke, and 08 first round knockout after only becoming a 7th seed)

Spurs would've made 2 more Finals and won 1 more title. (Looked like they clearly weren't at their 07 championship level and obviously getting older)

CP3 still hadn't gotten out of the 2nd round. (Looked like the Hornets were going to beat the Spurs in 08 but lost game 7 at home despite the home team winning every other game that series.)

I would say Dirk leading the Mavs to a title. I questioned his leadership after dude flamed out in the first round vs the Warriors, and never thought he would win as THE guy. The 2011 Mavs championship run was really fun to watch, even if that meant seeing my team get swept.

Also regarding the bold: Is that supposed to mean anything? Kobe does have great longevity and is one of the most skilled players ever.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Default Re: If you were told after the 08 season that ___ would happen, what would surprise you?

CP3

He was looking like he was on his way to being a top 10-15 player in 2008. Hell, I expect the Hornets and Lakers to battle out for conference supremacy for the next 3-4 years.

Now, dude can't get out of the 2nd round.

That Lebron would EVER go back to Cleveland

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Paul not getting out of 2nd round....it's shocking.

Decent college freshman game3524's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by catch24
    I would say Dirk leading the Mavs to a title. I questioned his leadership after dude flamed out in the first round vs the Warriors, and never thought he would win as THE guy. The 2011 Mavs championship run was really fun to watch, even if that meant seeing my team get swept.

Also regarding the bold: Is that supposed to mean anything? Kobe does have great longevity and is one of the most skilled players ever.
    Yeah, the Kobe option does't make any sense. He was a top tier player for 13 straight years. Only Jordan has been able to maintain that level of play as a perimeter player in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by guy

Here's my list:

Bolded I definitely agree with, the first 3 not so much. You have no idea how good someone will be, so if someone told me Curry would be the best player in the world 7 years from now, it wouldn't be inconceivable to me.

LeBron "only" winning 2 titles is around what I would have expected for him, 3 in 7 years is the most realistic scenario I could envision.

Maybe I wouldn't expect Kobe to be as bad as he is now, but I certainly wouldn't expect him to still be a top tier player after 35.

Number 1 for me would definitely be LeBron joining the Heat, followed by the Celtics never winning another title, and a team of Kobe/Howard/Nash not winning a single playoff game

Banned

None of that's all that surprising except the Curry thing

I never thought he'd be a top 5 player, but now he arguably is

You got

LeBron
    Durant
    Davis
    Westbrook/Harden/Paul/Cousins/Curry

He's right there in the convo for top 5 in the world. It's unbelievable when you think how far he's come since being the guy who sprained his ankle every other week because his body was too weak to keep up in the nba.

I'm not saying HGH is the secret but I'm not ruling it out

Surprised ? The Raptors are the worst on court production franchise in the NBA.

Didn't think they would be this bad, thought they would at least be a middle of the pack franchise by now.