Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Morey, Hinkie suck

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_Blue
    Too bad you can't measure "Heart" and "Chemistry" with analytics, though I'm sure they'll try.
    76ers actually have an "effort" rating comprised of like 5 traits to measure how hard guys are playing.

Too bad you can't measure "Heart" and "Chemistry" with analytics, though I'm sure they'll try.
    you can measure chemistry, wtf are you talking about?

on and off court differentials with different team mates on the floor. for example, James and TT have chemistry. their stats both improve when they're together on the floor.

"heart" can be measured with hustle plays, work pace (distance ran on the court), ability to lead a comeback (can be measured by scoring those guys on the floor leading a comeback)

almost anything you can think of can be measured by thinking up a tangible equivalent that you can measure.

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    you can measure chemistry, wtf are you talking about?

on and off court differentials with different team mates on the floor. for example, James and TT have chemistry. their stats both improve when they're together on the floor.

"heart" can be measured with hustle plays, work pace (distance ran on the court), ability to lead a comeback (can be measured by scoring those guys on the floor leading a comeback)

almost anything you can think of can be measured by thinking up a tangible equivalent that you can measure.
    Lol, no, or yes, if you were joking.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    If we look back at champs the last 20 years, who has won it?

Bird Celtics
    Magic Lakers
    MJ Bulls
    Duncan Spurs
    Hakeem Rockets

Bad Boy Pistons
    Bad Boy Pistons 00 edition
    3 and Chuck Warriors
    Pop Spurs
    Shaq Lakers
    Shaq Miami
    Veteran Celtics
    Collude Miami

One thing becomes clear. The only teams who won through drafting was those who drafted a top 10 GOAT.

Literally, those teams who drafted players and stuck with them only won if they lucked out and drafted a top 10 GOAT.

The rest of the teams won through creating a winning environment which other players wanted to join and making good offseason moves (Celtics, Miami, Lakers) or through creating a strong team identity based on defense and deference to the team concept.

This idea that you can draft value and wheel and deal until you have just the right pieces doesn't seem to have any proof behind it.

It's on thing to tank when you know a potential GOAT is coming along, which everyone knew with Tim Duncan, it's another to tank in weak drafts with unproven high school players. No one knew Garnett or Kobe would turn out as they did and they mostly don't.

Philly is tanking to get mediocre players or players with very risky prospects.

The old school way to win is to build a strong team with a strong concept and a strong identity, then you look to add the one missing piece who can get it done. Plug and Play. You can't just flip a switch and say start winning, without considering the base of the team and the chemistry.

Bird did a fantastic job with the Pacers in building that core around David West and PG, while letting the team and it's defensive effort be the identity. He even made Roy Hibbert and All Star because of it and they came very close to the finals.
    The celtics were built on drafting, trading, and cap manipulation.

The heat and an elite player and used the cap and contracts to their advantage to get 3 stars.

Bull drafted Pippen and Jordan (though somewhat of a different era)

Lakers are the lakers....that was about being in an elite market. Something the two GM's you're being critical of were not in.

Spurs drafted Duncan. They are the post boys of analytics, but they got their guy after one year of tanking. It just worked well for them. Ever since they've been stashing draft picks over seas, playing hte long game which keeps paying off and nobody complains because they have Duncan.

Mavs are huge into analtics. The Kidd trade was 100% done through Mark Cuban's secrete formulas. They also drafted dirk.

Teams are built through having a top level draft pick and/or having trade pieces and cap room. Both of these guys have done very good jobs based on the information we have.

NBA lottery pick

You act like these guys don't watch basketball tape or don't know the game....I"m not sure anyone alive watches more than Hinkie from everything I hear about the guy. Hell he'll fly to europe to watch a guy if he's interested.

Dunking on everybody in the park Phantom_Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    You act like these guys don't watch basketball tape or don't know the game....I"m not sure anyone alive watches more than Hinkie from everything I hear about the guy. Hell he'll fly to europe to watch a guy if he's interested.

That stuff is developed as player's get to know each other day by day. There's things you can't evaluate because we don't what the **** will happen in people's lives as they, you know, live and get new experiences.

But humans stay fearing uncertainty and try bottling up everything in the world into a stat.

F.uck Hinkie and fu.ck the Sixers.

Morey, has actually done a decent job. They went from a treadmill purgatory team to a WCF contender in just a few short years. IMO Harden and Dwight are not the guys to get you to the ship but Morey has done a good job regardless.

Hinkie on the other hand is a garbage ass GM who couldn't draft a turd into a toilet.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 11-19-2015 at 07:24 PM.

NBA lottery pick

That stuff is developed as player's get to know each other day by day. There's things you can't evaluate because we don't what the **** will happen in people's lives as they, you know, live and get new experiences.

But humans stay fearing uncertainty and try bottling up everything in the world into a stat.
    The thing is nobody on the current team is of any meaning to the team he wants to build, maybe and I mean maybe 2 guys. He's trying to grow assets.

OK so a very simple math lesson here

The biggest and more important concept in finance is the time value of money.

So simple idea here. An asset worth 100 today with an expected return of 10% is worth 133.1 in 3 years.

Now most GM's are given the mission to maximize assets in a 0-1 year period. Hinkie has gotten the green light to look I'd guess at least 3 years down the road. So he's rightly looking to make trades worth more in 1 years than they are worth today. So you trade a first pick today that's the 15th pick for a pick you EXPECT To be a top 8 in 2 years. Both teams see this is a possible win because one team needs a guy today. The other wants more value in 3 years.

Now this doesn't mean he doesn't get what chemistry is, and if you look at morey he goes out of his way to look for chemistry guys and checks with his two "star" players (your call on if they are, I'm not fighting) on if guys will fit. Hinkie isn't an idiot he knows what his players matter WHEN he is ready to build that team.

For now he'd rather have 2 second round picks down the road than one today. He wants to draft guys who have "high profile nba bodies" and then train them to shoot 3's so he can sell them for a positive return, and by pushing the return down the road he gets more of that time value of money add.

This is all brilliant if he can land a legit franchise player. Until he gets that guy...he's just pushing assets down the line and trading for more value down the line.

The spurs have done this for years, but they had Duncan so nobody cared.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus

Morey, has actually done a decent job. They went from a treadmill purgatory team to a WCF contender in just a few short years. IMO Harden and Dwight are not the guys to get you to the ship but Morey has done a good job regardless.

Hinkie on the other hand is a garbage ass GM who couldn't draft a turd into a toilet.
    ok mr drunk robot. What moves would you do differently if you were him? You even get hindsight to do I told you so's. Or if you're really a man and know your stuff grade each of his trades/draft picks. I'd be interested to know why he's SO bad. I can't think of a single move that was terrible. He's missed a few times but that happens to everyone. The Spurs added Richard Jefferson after all. And then resigned him!

Banned

Cowherd said this

Be original

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by oarabbus

Difference is that Philly ownership allowed a complete tear down, while Les Alexander prohibited it in Houston. Also, Hinkie was the Assistant GM in Houston when they made that Harden trade. Philly's owner passed on hiring him, decided to give his current FO one more season in power, and they subsequently completed the Bynum trade. Philly's owner realized how badly they botched that and hired Hinkie the next summer.

Hinkie has destroyed teams in trades. It's fair to question his drafting ability. He hasn't had a chance to land a stud in free agency or trade. He's following the Houston script, only he hasn't had a mandate to be a fringe playoff team.

Hinkie needs to show progress next summer though imo. That has more to do with his performance in the draft, dependent upon which picks convey, and if any of his current players shows improvement through the season.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    Difference is that Philly ownership allowed a complete tear down, while Les Alexander prohibited it in Houston. Also, Hinkie was the Assistant GM in Houston when they made that Harden trade. Philly's owner passed on hiring him, decided to give his current FO one more season in power, and they subsequently completed the Bynum trade. Philly's owner realized how badly they botched that and hired Hinkie the next summer.

Hinkie has destroyed teams in trades. It's fair to question his drafting ability. He hasn't had a chance to land a stud in free agency or trade. He's following the Houston script, only he hasn't had a mandate to be a fringe playoff team.

Hinkie needs to show progress next summer though imo. That has more to do with his performance in the draft, dependent upon which picks convey, and if any of his current players shows improvement through the season.
    I forget the details but Hinkie came in and he didn't even have first round draft picks! I think their next two or two of the next few 1 st round picks were traded. They had no major trade pieces and a team that could only make the playoffs with basically CRAP to compete with.

Now they could have up to 4 first round picks in NEXT year's draft.

This is one of the greatest turn arounds we've ever seen in sports if he can just land TWO legit all stars. Nobody has ever been handed a team worse off from a title or bust senario maybe in pro sports history. Had he been given a team that couldn't win a game, he'd have gotten a top pick normally. Here he had NOTHING.

Basketball Genius

soul eater is a bottom-tier anime aside from black star you should watch hunter x hunter 2011 literally the best anime ever made (actually it's second behind brotherhood)

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    I forget the details but Hinkie came in and he didn't even have first round draft picks! I think their next two or two of the next few 1 st round picks were traded. They had no major trade pieces and a team that could only make the playoffs with basically CRAP to compete with.

Now they could have up to 4 first round picks in NEXT year's draft.

This is one of the greatest turn arounds we've ever seen in sports if he can just land TWO legit all stars. Nobody has ever been handed a team worse off from a title or bust senario maybe in pro sports history. Had he been given a team that couldn't win a game, he'd have gotten a top pick normally. Here he had NOTHING.
    If you honestly think what Hinkie is doing is good for the game of basketball then you are wrong. He can get by with doing what he's doing because of revenue sharing but it is terrible for the sport.

How long will the Sixers continue to play for the lottery? They won't be sniffing the playoffs for years to come. They're 2 years away from being 2 years away from being a playoff team; EVEN IN THE EAST!

Absolutely ridiculous.