Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pistons offseason changes

Gone are Monroe and Smith and in their place are Ersan Ilyasova and Marcus Morris, respectively. Ilyasova is the stretch forward the Pistons needed, but no ace defender. Morris provides the versatility to shoot from range or hit from the block, but maxes out at as just average on the defensive end.

Other additions tantalize, but are not proven on defense. Reggie Jackson is a pick-and-roll dynamo but an inconsistent defender. Stanley Johnson is a promising young rookie who could grow into a great defender, but expecting much in Year 1 is asking for trouble. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope is three years toward the same defensive trajectory as Johnson, but he is not yet a lockdown defender.

-- Detroit Free Press editorial

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Default Re: Pistons offseason changes

There was a LOT of talk about Pistons going after Harris to play that combo forward role for us. Someone who could creat their own shot and play both SF and the stretch 4. Instead, we landed Marcus Morris for that role. So far, this is the comparison:

Morris: 17.8ppg / 7.2rpg / 1.5 threes / 45% FG

Harris: 16.8ppg / 8.3rpg / 1.0 threes / 50% FG

So more or less similar stats thus far, however, when we look at the salaries of the two:

Morris: 5 mill / season
    Harris: 16 mill / season

It would seem like the Pistons have had a HUGE win here, and with the way Morris has been playing, it could be argued that he has the single best contract in the league for the type of output he is producing.

Agreed. Did not foresee one the dunce brothers becoming an intricate piece to our success, but he is showing maturity and poise, saying the right things, and playing within the system. Happy to have him. I shall now swallow my words Mr. Morris.

I was more concerned about Morris than Ersan, as Ersan was a guy SVG personally coveted for years and would appear to be the perfect fit for his system...

But so far that has not been the case....

Lets see more Morris at PF with Stanley at SF

NBA lottery pick

Yeah, I don't think anyone predicted Morris would be as good as he has so far. Let's hope he keeps it up.

Ilyasova is a SPUD - I hate him - clumsy, terrible hands, bad touch around the rim, bad decision maker.... Arghhhh he is so frustrating I hate him...

National High School Star

What happened to Reggie Jackson? Is he on minute restrictions?

He just wasn't effective tonight, and Dinwiddie was...

Far too many passengers in the Laker game - it is time to shuffle the lineup, Morris to PF, Stanley to SF

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Dunker
    Ilyasova is a SPUD - I hate him - clumsy, terrible hands, bad touch around the rim, bad decision maker.... Arghhhh he is so frustrating I hate him...
    He has been disappointing.

Oh man ^^ Everygame he is either tripping over his feet, throwing bad passes, fumbling the ball, taking off-balance shots...

The one thing he does well, is taking charges - he is ELITE, maybe the best in the league, but every other aspect of his game is cringe worthy - how does an NBA player fumble the ball so bad, never looks in control

He NEEDS to become a spot of sniper, park himself in the corner etc,

NBA lottery pick

Taking charges doesn't mean much to me.

You would be surprised hey, he has taken so many this year and swings momentum in games, makes it hard for the opposition to drive - he sets his feet very well - it's not like he flops, he legit takes the brunt of aggressive drives to the basket...

NBA lottery pick

I know around draft time we were talking about Porzingas. Man he would have been a beast next to Dre. Nothing against Stanley. It's apparent he's going to be a very good player as well. This draft class in general is looking like an all time great one. I wish we could have made a move for another pick somehow lol.

Russell has looked like a bust so far, just looks slow / not athletic, and his shot isn't as smooth as I thought it would be - in saying that, with Kobe there, and Clarkson playing combo guard, probably not the best position for him to be in...

Porzingas has looked damn terrible in some games, but clearly flashes potential such as he did in yesterday's game - a truly high ceiling with the combination of size / athleticism / offensive versatility - warrants a #4 selection,

I think Lakers passing on Okafor was a huge mistake,

KAT is a beast!

Portis will be a beast,

Jerian Grant will be a beast,

NBA lottery pick

It's really hard to say Russell looks like a bust. He's a PG playing SG in the NBA. I just read an article today that listed all the top rookies and he's part of the discussion (even though it's in the bottom tier of the guys who look like they could be good). SG's take years to put up good numbers. Look at how long it's taken KCP to be decent. Even he has had some rough games this season. Right now Clarkson is the guy who is more of the PG there. Then you have Kobe with the ball in his hands a lot.

Okafur and KAT were clearly as advertised. Winslow seems like he's going to be very good. Johnson obviously. Porzingas will be very good. Mudiay, Russell, Portis, Grant, too. Even Turner and Hezonja have in limited minutes.

Check out this article:
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...sixers?ref=yfp