Decent playground baller L3B120N J4M35's Avatar

Default How's My Jumpshot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFxHLhYFnIQ

you get a better look when i go to the corner. just to let you guys know, i'm normally not that bad at 3 point shooting

NBA Superstar

Default Re: How's My Jumpshot?

You have a lot of solid aspects in play. It looks like kind of a tough environment (street clothes at an amusement park with a rim that may or may not be legit) so it's tough to draw any big time conclusions.

One of the primary aspects that stuck out to me was your follow through. For starters, the fact you have a legitimate follow-through at all already puts you ahead of many folks. Still, I would recommend extending that follow-through further upward upon the initial release of your shot.

For example, on some jumpers, if you freeze frame, your follow through is almost directly in front of your body, like a zombie or Frankenstein. On other shots, your initial follow through is once again in front of your body, but you try to raise it up at the end (which is a start).

I'd say, we'd want your follow through to be up in the air and high right from the start. Growing up, I was told to shoot as if I were firing out of a telephone booth. What would happen if you followed through in the manner you did in your video while trying to shoot out of a phone booth?

If your push-like follow through was a means of getting the ball to the hoop from that distance, then I would also suggest using your legs more readily. If power is an issue, legs are often the answer. Establish a lower base from the start and explode upward upon your release. I tend to go flat-footed while shooting sometimes and once I remind myself to jump more, it's pretty crazy how much easier the shots begin to feel.

More legs and less arms would be my suggestion. Looks like you are pushing the ball out with your arms pretty prominently which makes it difficult to get a good trajectory on the ball.

Basically everything Rake said who was kind enough to type out a length breakdown while I'm just a lazy asshole who says the same thing in 2 sentences.
    Last edited by Jailblazers7; 08-30-2014 at 08:00 PM.

It's kind of like a Steph Curry shot but with a lower release point. It's a quick release but I'd say you'd need a higher release point which would give you more arc and therefore a better chance to make the basket.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Your release is way too low. I had the same problem, now I have a release point above my head. You get more arc and a friendly roll with it. I had to change it mostly because I play against bigs way taller than me (6'2''-6'6'')

I am really money at the right side of the court. I think you are gonna improve your jump shots if you shoot more than 500 free throws every day ala Ray Allen and RIP Hamilton.

Your form (how your arms hold the ball) & followthrough (release, wrist) looks ok, you dont have to change that..... BUT....

*The aim/release point is way to low... its almost like you are firing it of from your chin/neck. Bring the ball above your forehead and shoot/release it at a 45-50 degree angle (give or take from 3pt line), simply just higher, much higher than you do now...

*Your shot comes way to early, you are basically firing it of soon as you jump.... you should jump first & then fire it of at the highest point releasing the ball almost as you are coming down, you are doing what i call a "push-shot" using your legs to force the ball out instead of a jump-shot.

This is a common shot for those who do not have enough strength to shoot a textbook jumper comfortably from the 3PT line (this was the case for me at least when i started)..... that, or a bad habit...

Do this, go closer to the rim, 10-15 feet and do what i said above and/or simply just study THIS picture:

Then start doing this further and further back towards the 3pt line, the moment you notice a notable change (where you need to re-adjust in order to get the ball to the rim) then THAT will be your max range and if you want to increase the range from where you can do this "textbook shot" then you need to workout asap!
    Last edited by pauk; 09-02-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    You too Lebron23, way to low aim/release point! You are shooting it from your chin/neck. This is how it should look like::

You are also not using your wrist enough, flick that baby down!

Last edited by pauk; 09-02-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    You too Lebron23, way to low aim/release point! You are shooting it from your chin/neck. This is how it should look like::

You are also not using your wrist enough, flick that baby down!

Ok. I'll copy his shooting forum.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Yo Lebron23 you look like a Buddhist monk in that video

don't ask me why though

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya
    Yo Lebron23 you look like a Buddhist monk in that video

don't ask me why though

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Ok. I'll copy his shooting forum.

Just trying to help... trust me if you copy Ray Allens or Steph Currys mechanics & if you are stubborn about it no matter how much you brick at first, practice and eventually you will shoot the ball better than you ever did... i can guarantee you that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Definitely needs more legs. You jumping way forward is a sign that you are not using enough power jumping upwards, and that makes your shot flat and short more frequently. I had the same habit when younger and a coach told me to do some jump roping, which helped.

your release is too low, but you shoulders hips and feet are square which is good.

if you shoot that low to compensate for power, you're doing yourself a disservice. Range is built up over time, if you're not wetting from NBA range don't worry. Your shots are short most of the time anyways, so why not do so using best practices, at least you'll improve eventually.

You might be able to achieve a certain level of consistency eventually shooting this way, but you will plateau at some point and it will be much more frustrating than retooling a couple aspects of your shot.

1) your elbow should be above eye level after you release the ball.

2) as others have said, you need to have a rigid L in your elbow from the moment the ball leaves your triple threat, to the time you engage your follow through

3) hold your release longer to exaggerate the above points and help you commit it to (muscle) memory

4) power comes from your legs, not from your arms, dont use your arms to compensate for a lack of proper biomechanics. If you're going to do it, do it right.

5) unlike the others, i wont post a pic of Ray Allen and say "shoot like this". Ray Allen has the best lift of any jump shooter in basketball. Even Dave Hopla, his shot doctor when he was a rookie in Milwaukee, has commented on this before basically saying only Ray can shoot like that. He doesn't square the ball up perfectly but because of his large hands he can control the ball much better without using his left hand.

Everyone has different biomechanics so it would be silly to copy someone who you literally have nothing in common physically. The key is to shoot in a way that is fundamentally sound, but also comfortable. If you try to shoot like Ray Allen I guarantee you'll be extremely frustrated after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Your form (how your arms hold the ball) & followthrough (release, wrist) looks ok, you dont have to change that..... BUT....

*The aim/release point is way to low... its almost like you are firing it of from your chin/neck. Bring the ball above your forehead and shoot/release it at a 45-50 degree angle (give or take from 3pt line), simply just higher, much higher than you do now...

*Your shot comes way to early, you are basically firing it of soon as you jump.... you should jump first & then fire it of at the highest point releasing the ball almost as you are coming down, you are doing what i call a "push-shot" using your legs to force the ball out instead of a jump-shot.

This is a common shot for those who do not have enough strength to shoot a textbook jumper comfortably from the 3PT line (this was the case for me at least when i started)..... that, or a bad habit...

Do this, go closer to the rim, 10-15 feet and do what i said above and/or simply just study THIS picture:

Then start doing this further and further back towards the 3pt line, the moment you notice a notable change (where you need to re-adjust in order to get the ball to the rim) then THAT will be your max range and if you want to increase the range from where you can do this "textbook shot" then you need to workout asap!
    I'll post another video tomorrow. And copy this shooting form. It's still raining here