Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    rank sentamentalist

Default do you garden / grow produce / smell pretty flowers

i finally have a plot in the back and its pretty sweet, i'm eating raw kale every morning. i didn't do any of it except i buried a couple rotten potatoes a few months ago and now they're growing, i asked why i couldn't see them but he said they grow in the ground and then you pull them out

what do you grow?
    what can't you grow due to your climate?
    any tips tricks wild experiences with vines and spiders to share?

Default Re: do you garden / grow produce / smell pretty flowers

I use to grow bud. Its a very beautiful plant when it flowers. The buds are covered in crystals and has an amazing smell. I wish i could grow it just for hobby.

i also grow some of the conventional plants, like grape tomatoes, green onions, bitter melon, lemon grass and a general assorment of herbs. I also have a aquaponic system that is attached to my khoi pond.

NBA sixth man of the year knickballer's Avatar

Yes. Kale, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Peppers and lek. Tomatoes still haven't rippened but they're getting there. I've been having huge kale salads every day and I feel like I'm on that master race level right now. I'm gonna live forever!!!

I'm sure you already know these tips but don't water in the middle of the day, don't put any sunflower plants near the rest of the crew(they rob the nutrients), reinforce the plants by tying cloth or some string to a nearby stick to support the plant(if it starts to fall over)

But anyways good luck and enjoy being on that next level master race status

All I know is that arugula is very easy, and that it makes a better salad than you would expect. You feel very earthy and crunchy when you're eating it.

I recommend starting with something like that at first to gain confidence. Some herbs are also easy.

I'm a few years away from that kind of thing, but I plan on doing it when I have a house.

As for flowers, I have no idea. When my wife is mad at me, sometimes I'll go around and pick a little bouquet from the little gardens in front of corporate buildings. I've never felt the need to grow my own. But of course, when I have a yard to put them in...

Banned

Yes. I grow fresh basil and oregano so I can sprinkle it on my morning cr

rank sentamentalist

I'm sure you already know these tips but don't water in the middle of the day, don't put any sunflower plants near the rest of the crew(they rob the nutrients), reinforce the plants by tying cloth or some string to a nearby stick to support the plant(if it starts to fall over)
    i didn't know any of this, again i have nothing to do with the garden besides the potatoes

grape tomatoes, lemongrass, peppers, i would love to grow those. we have some peppers but i dunno how good they'll turn out in the maritime climate. we get like a month and a half of hot sun a year lol

arugula is good. it's also easier to prepare/eat than kale or romaine which have to be torn. herbs are where i want to go first and foremost though. basil and oregeno is sick, we have some sage and rosemary (eat a sage leaf if you get the opportunity, you won't like it but it will be well worth it), mint and dill and a little purple basil plant i don't know will survive, and a CHOCOLATE MINT PLANT which is unbelievable because it taste exactly like aftereights

i want to plant BEANS that is going to be my first gardening project i think

rank sentamentalist

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    I use to grow bud. Its a very beautiful plant when it flowers. The buds are covered in crystals and has an amazing smell. I wish i could grow it just for hobby.

i also grow some of the conventional plants, like grape tomatoes, green onions, bitter melon, lemon grass and a general assorment of herbs. I also have a aquaponic system that is attached to my khoi pond.
    what is that and what does it do?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    what is that and what does it do?
    instead of using soil as a medium, it uses water from a pond to feed the plants roots. the water is aerated enough not to drown the roots of the plants and is also nutrient rich from the fishes pooping in the pond. In return, the plants filter the water that goes back into the pond. Its really an imitation of a natural cycle. and it grows plants like cray cray but it is more difficult to maintain because you have to monitor the nutrients and solids in the water.

it looks like this.

Last edited by nathanjizzle; 07-27-2015 at 12:02 PM.

I believe in mastering the soil medium.

Nice. My back yard has a canopy of trees which makes growing anything almost impossible but I love it because it stays about 20 degrees cooler back there than in front. I could grow just about anything in front of the house but it would look rather redneck , so I stick to shrubs, flowers, ornamentals, etc. I've got some herbs growing in pots on the front porch where we get the most sun (basil, parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, oregano).

Banned

No garden here.

It destroys the aesthetics to my landscape.

A garden will not look good with my sago's....

i grow peppers

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    i finally have a plot in the back and its pretty sweet, i'm eating raw kale every morning. i didn't do any of it except i buried a couple rotten potatoes a few months ago and now they're growing, i asked why i couldn't see them but he said they grow in the ground and then you pull them out

what do you grow?
    what can't you grow due to your climate?
    any tips tricks wild experiences with vines and spiders to share?
    My girlfriend grows tomatoes on our balcony.

If she can grow it, it can't be too difficult.