Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #1
Detroit
CountThatBabyANDaFOUL!
 
Detroit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ben Wallace's Fro'
Posts: 711
Default Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

I watched this play over and over again and it seems like the right call. A lot of guys in the league do this nowadays if they're anticipating a hard hit coming.

Here is the play in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjiGB_ifIHg

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Detroit : 01-19-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
j3lademaster
I get superstar calls
 
j3lademaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,740
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

He saw the offensive player lower his shoulder, so he took the charge. Haven't caught a lot of Pistons games this year, but this play makes him look like a crafty vet and a lot higher iq defensively than I thought.

That's not a flop. The contact was enough to knock him over. Charges have been called like that for decades, why should it change now? It's not a sniper-in-the-building shameless flop where you lean into someone with minimal contact and fall 20 feet the other way, he set his feet as the offensive player lowered his shoulder and took a hard blow from a big, strong player.
j3lademaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
kNIOKAS
There will be plaster
 
kNIOKAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,777
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

I think it's ok to call it a flop. I have no problem with a defender falling down if he's pushed hard enough to fall down, but that wasn't the case this time. To me the defender can choose to not recover when he's standing still and the offense player rams the shoulder into his chest pushing him out of the way. If it's a charge lets make it a charge. However, here there wasn't enough contact for the defender to fall down and force the call.


Edit: apparently we ^ see the same situation differently.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope
 
QuebecBaller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Quebec City, Canada
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3lademaster
He saw the offensive player lower his shoulder, so he took the charge. Haven't caught a lot of Pistons games this year, but this play makes him look like a crafty vet and a lot higher iq defensively than I thought.

That's not a flop. The contact was enough to knock him over. Charges have been called like that for decades, why should it change now? It's not a sniper-in-the-building shameless flop where you lean into someone with minimal contact and fall 20 feet the other way, he set his feet as the offensive player lowered his shoulder and took a hard blow from a big, strong player.

This
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:05 AM   #5
swagga
ruckus for president
 
swagga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: EU rotating, NYK
Posts: 2,986
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3lademaster
He saw the offensive player lower his shoulder, so he took the charge. Haven't caught a lot of Pistons games this year, but this play makes him look like a crafty vet and a lot higher iq defensively than I thought.

That's not a flop. The contact was enough to knock him over. Charges have been called like that for decades, why should it change now? It's not a sniper-in-the-building shameless flop where you lean into someone with minimal contact and fall 20 feet the other way, he set his feet as the offensive player lowered his shoulder and took a hard blow from a big, strong player.

spot on.
swagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #6
funnystuff
Decent college freshman
 
funnystuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,815
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Hibbert is huge, how is this considered a flop?
funnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
wally_world
Very good NBA starter
 
wally_world's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dancin' with Miley
Posts: 8,478
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Even if he got fined, the team would pay it. He won them the game.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #8
navy
Curry fam
 
navy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 15,702
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3lademaster
He saw the offensive player lower his shoulder, so he took the charge. Haven't caught a lot of Pistons games this year, but this play makes him look like a crafty vet and a lot higher iq defensively than I thought.

That's not a flop. The contact was enough to knock him over. Charges have been called like that for decades, why should it change now? It's not a sniper-in-the-building shameless flop where you lean into someone with minimal contact and fall 20 feet the other way, he set his feet as the offensive player lowered his shoulder and took a hard blow from a big, strong player.
That was a flop, unless you really think he had enough contact to fall over.
navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
Rake2204
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,832
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Hard for any of us to say definitively, but from what I know about Andre and how that play looked when it occurred (and still looks), I thought it was a flop.

He's not great at naturally drawing the correct contact necessary in those plays to make it look legit. I had the feeling that Andre's plan that entire play was to try to let a Hibbert bump knock him over so as to draw a charge.

It's very small, but his momentum seems a very small bit late in accordance with the actual contact. There was bit of "Oh there's the bump, time for me to go down."

A warning is very much warranted in my opinion. After the Pistons walked out of that one with a win, and Detroit fans (me) were so happy, I also figured the other side of the coin had to have been how robbed Indiana felt after that call.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #10
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,240
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

You should never try and draw the charge in that spot unless the offensive player hits you right in the middle of the chest, not your right arm like in this play.
ZenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
sundog67
Not airballing my layups anymore
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 121
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

As a Pistons fan I'm happy for the call but it could have been a play on.

The problem is that refs reward these types of charge calls by only calling them when players fall to the ground. You rarely see a charge/offensive foul called when the defenders resist the contact or try to maintain their balance.
sundog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 AM   #12
stephanieg
College superstar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,387
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Blatant flop. If all defenders were that crafty and refs bit everytime strength based post play would be impossible.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #13
pauk
RIP Kobe
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,823
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

To be honest taking a charge is in theory a flop/acting, its the only legal flop in basketball, there is no difference between successfully taking a charge and failing to do so except that the successful one gives you praise and the other one gives you fines because you simply "made it to obvious it was a flop".....

There is a fine line between standing your ground with all your might doing anything possible with intention to NOT fall down and somebody just rams you over..... AND standing there like a sleeping bird balancing on one leg with full intention to await the slightest touch & fall down... and most of the time players start leaning back falling before contact even occurs...

Last edited by pauk : 01-20-2015 at 01:24 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:22 AM   #14
Rake2204
NBA Superstar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,832
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
To be honest taking a charge is in theory a flop/acting, its the only legal flop in basketball, there is no difference between successfully taking a charge and failing to do so except that the successful one gives you praise and the other one gives you fines because you simply "made it to obvious it was a flop".....

There is a fine line between standing your ground with all your might doing anything possible with intention to NOT fall down and somebody just rams you over..... AND standing there like a sleeping bird balancing on one leg with full intention to await the slightest touch & fall down... and most of the time players start leaning back falling before contact even ocurrs...
I do not agree that taking a charge is theoretically a flop/acting. When a drawn charge is done correctly, it's really a matter of a defender put themselves in position to be legitimately hit and knocked over. Just because a defender doesn't opt to do everything humanly possible to remain standing (which would likely include leaning forward, staggering one's feet, and bending the knees), doesn't mean to me that a player is otherwise acting.

The acting comes in when someone uses contact to pretend they were hit with enough force to knock them over from the position they'd established. In Drummond's case, I got the feeling he was pretending that contact was enough to knock him down from the position he'd established. In truth, I think he helped himself fall.

Otherwise, if a player legit falls thanks to momentum that doesn't happen to be on their side or because they opted to stand upright, in position, and stationary (Battier style). resulting in a solid hit and honest response (not an elaborate, attention-drawing motion that runs counter to the physics involved), I often do not label that a flop.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-20-2015 at 01:24 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:45 AM   #15
pauk
RIP Kobe
 
pauk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 17,823
Default Re: Andre Drummond warned by the NBA for violating the Anti-Flop Policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I do not agree that taking a charge is theoretically a flop/acting. When a drawn charge is done correctly, it's really a matter of a defender put themselves in position to be legitimately hit and knocked over.

Just because a defender doesn't opt to do everything humanly possible to remain standing (which would likely include leaning forward, staggering one's feet, and bending the knees), doesn't mean to me that a player is otherwise acting.

The acting comes in when someone uses contact to pretend they were hit with enough force to knock them over from the position they'd established. In Drummond's case, I got the feeling he was pretending that contact was enough to knock him down from the position he'd established. In truth, I think he helped himself fall.

Otherwise, if a player legit falls thanks to momentum that doesn't happen to be on their side or because they opted to stand upright, in position, and stationary (Battier style). resulting in a solid hit and honest response (not an elaborate, attention-drawing motion that runs counter to the physics involved), I often do not label that a flop.

Exactly and thats how it is abused. Dont get me wrong, it is a GREAT RULE if treated with all honesty..... its just so easy to be exploited and players are doing just that, most of the time (why not when it gives your team a great advantage?)....

Look, if you grab a def. rebound and see only one defender under the rim, he is standing there completely still, prepared for the charge and you now go coast-to-coast racing a straight line up towards the opponents rim with all the speed in the world and you make a superhero stop just 1 inch from his body (or even further) or a superquick change of direction..... i guarantee you HE WILL FALL....

You see this actually happen often when a deceptively quick player who makes a sudden stop or change of direction and the defender anticipated the charge/starts falling......... *bam* a FINE for him.... if the off. player didnt trick him then the call would go at his favor.... understand? Whats the difference between those two scenarios? Nothing, the guy who took the charge did two exactly the same things........ in one he got caught, in the other he didnt....

It is a great rule, but abused/exploited...... and it all goes so fast and "looks so real", players get away with it very often..... until its way to obvious and he gets a fine....

Last edited by pauk : 01-20-2015 at 01:47 AM.
pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:54 AM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Daily Roundup

NBA Scores

NBA Stats

NBA Videos

NBA Free Agents

Fantasy Basketball

Basketball Sneakers

Search Site

STAY CONNECTED
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube










Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy