Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Are yall ready for the backslide!

Ok, so, first of all if you're one of these liberals who actually takes silly, archaic fairy tales about everyone being equal on a literal level, this will probably offend you. It is something that absolutely won't be discussed in the mainstream media, and because most people only think about what is presented to them by the mainstream media, it's not something that has even occurred to most people out there.

BUT... right now, humanity is actually in the midst of its first ever backslide of average IQ.

The reason is very simple. For the overwhelming majority of civilized human history, smart people were more likely to produce surviving offspring. Over the course of time, this gradually improved the intelligence of man as a whole. Pretty obvious.

It is also established at this point by academic research (steven pinker, a legit cognitive scientist employed TODAY at Harvard, not an angry bigot from the 1800s with an agenda) that different regions of the globe have produced populations with varied average IQs. And not just the basic black, white, asian either, different subgroups (japs, jews, aboriginals etc.) all test distinctly.

This makes sense because over time different cultures and geographies required different evolved skill sets. "The west" has basically had by far the largest impact on global civilization as a whole and continues to do so today, and thus we tend to view 'intelligence' as those types of skills that produce success in a westernized world. Of course, the whole world is essentially now westernized, and an IQ as it is perceived by modern sensibilities is essentially the determinant of how 'smart' you will typically be perceived. The instinct of recognizing patterns on plants that indicate poisonousness, or the inherent ability to grapple with a physical combatant are not skills that are as demonstrable or important today as being able to solve a geometry puzzle.

Ok, so we have this established as a fact. We know the usual crowd, boozehound, deucewallaces, these types will go full ad hominem on me as a form of "counter point" because the intellectual mandate they have from the social group they want to be be identified as being a part of, requires that they not acknowledge any politically incorrect observations or experimentally affirmed theories regardless of scientific merit. But for those of you who ARENT scared to use your own brain, let's go on.

If you look a map of population growth, you'll see that the most rapidly reproducing regions of the globe are Africa and the Middle East. The reason, as you're surely aware, is that these are the most impoverished areas where people don't have access to and/or interest in birth control. Now it just so happens, that if we compare the population growth map of the world to an IQ map of the world..... Well you see where this is going. Even within individual countries like the U.S., successful people are having fewer kids, but kids who are being raised and educated in a markedly more meaningful way than the ones in the hood or in the sticks, who generally come from mothers with lots of kids but little education or parenting skills. MOST of these kids typically, through a combination of nature and nurture, develop into the same sorts of people.

Meanwhile, American 'suburbanites' (mostly white, but it's more about class than race), europeans and asians are experiencing significant drops in birth rate. While the average woman in Nigeria has six kids.

Due to technological advances and the efforts to implement them around the world, including third world countries, survivability across the entire spectrum of intelligence is much greater. Natural selection has basically stopped, and lower IQ populations are outproducing higher IQ populations by almost double.

What this means mathematically is that for the first time EVER... humans are actually going to be less intelligent on the whole in future generations. I can see this first hand walking around Hollywood. The youth here are increasingly minority and the way they act and interact in public is just astonishing by smart people standards. The backslide is very, VERY real.

Whatchu think? Intelligent posters only.

Also, it's unfortunate that race is the elephant in the room because we all know there are africa/black posters here, or guys in our circle of friends etc. who might for obvious reasons find this a sensitive issue. Certainly there are plenty of African, middle eastern, maybe even an aboriginal or two out there who are smarter than I am. In fact, the black posters on this board might even be smarter and more civil than the white posters here on average. But globally the data is what it is, and it's pretty much fact. So, we can either be men and discuss it or we can be cowardly women and shy away from this very, very interesting socio-philosophical topic. I say let's talk about it.

Opinions please!

Banned

Default Re: Are yall ready for the backslide!

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Ok, so, first of all if you're one of these liberals who actually takes silly, archaic fairy tales about everyone being equal on a literal level, this will probably offend you. It is something that absolutely won't be discussed in the mainstream media, and because most people only think about what is presented to them by the mainstream media, it's not something that has even occurred to most people out there.

BUT... right now, humanity is actually in the midst of its first ever backslide of average IQ.

The reason is very simple. For the overwhelming majority of civilized human history, smart people were more likely to produce surviving offspring. Over the course of time, this gradually improved the intelligence of man as a whole. Pretty obvious.

It is also established at this point by academic research (steven pinker, a legit cognitive scientist employed TODAY at Harvard, not an angry bigot from the 1800s with an agenda) that different regions of the globe have produced populations with varied average IQs. And not just the basic black, white, asian either, different subgroups (japs, jews, aboriginals etc.) all test distinctly.

This makes sense because over time different cultures and geographies required different evolved skill sets. "The west" has basically had by far the largest impact on global civilization as a whole and continues to do so today, and thus we tend to view 'intelligence' as those types of skills that produce success in a westernized world. Of course, the whole world is essentially now westernized, and an IQ as it is perceived by modern sensibilities is essentially the determinant of how 'smart' you will typically be perceived. The instinct of recognizing patterns on plants that indicate poisonousness, or the inherent ability to grapple with a physical combatant are not skills that are as demonstrable or important today as being able to solve a geometry puzzle.

Ok, so we have this established as a fact. We know the usual crowd, boozehound, deucewallaces, these types will go full ad hominem on me as a form of "counter point" because the intellectual mandate they have from the social group they want to be be identified as being a part of, requires that they not acknowledge any politically incorrect observations or experimentally affirmed theories regardless of scientific merit. But for those of you who ARENT scared to use your own brain, let's go on.

If you look a map of population growth, you'll see that the most rapidly reproducing regions of the globe are Africa and the Middle East. The reason, as you're surely aware, is that these are the most impoverished areas where people don't have access to and/or interest in birth control. Now it just so happens, that if we compare the population growth map of the world to an IQ map of the world..... Well you see where this is going. Even within individual countries like the U.S., successful people are having fewer kids, but kids who are being raised and educated in a markedly more meaningful way than the ones in the hood or in the sticks, who generally come from mothers with lots of kids but little education or parenting skills. MOST of these kids typically, through a combination of nature and nurture, develop into the same sorts of people.

Meanwhile, American 'suburbanites' (mostly white, but it's more about class than race), europeans and asians are experiencing significant drops in birth rate. While the average woman in Nigeria has six kids.

Due to technological advances and the efforts to implement them around the world, including third world countries, survivability across the entire spectrum of intelligence is much greater. Natural selection has basically stopped, and lower IQ populations are outproducing higher IQ populations by almost double.

What this means mathematically is that for the first time EVER... humans are actually going to be less intelligent on the whole in future generations. I can see this first hand walking around Hollywood. The youth here are increasingly minority and the way they act and interact in public is just astonishing by smart people standards. The backslide is very, VERY real.

Also, it's unfortunate that race is the elephant in the room because we all know there are africa/black posters here, or guys in our circle of friends etc. who might for obvious reasons find this a sensitive issue. Certainly there are plenty of African, middle eastern, maybe even an aboriginal or two out there who are smarter than I am. In fact, the black posters on this board might even be smarter and more civil than the white posters here on average. But globally the data is what it is, and it's pretty much fact. So, we can either be men and discuss it or we can be cowardly women and shy away from this very, very interesting socio-philosophical topic. I say let's talk about it.

Opinions please!

NBA Legend

Well said, Mr. Keef.

live.love.tsk

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Keef

Admittedly I only skimmed what you wrote, but it seems like you are equating low intellect with poverty and rapid population growth in impoverished nations.

Advancements in medicine is all well and good but I'd bet that life expectancy in sub Saharan Africa is probably around half or 60% of fully westernized countries. I think your claim is hard to take at face value without some sort of real calculation.

IQ differences probably aren't as drastic as you imagine within Westernized countries either. Outcomes are radically different but I'd bet that the variation isn't crazy. I'd be interest to see legit info on it tho.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
    Admittedly I only skimmed what you wrote, but it seems like you are equating low intellect with poverty and rapid population growth in impoverished nations.

Yep, and I think those two points are not in and of themselves surprising to most people.

But what I rarely here discussed is how this is actually going to affect the future.

For the vast majority of all civilization, people with more resources had the access to the very limited supply of medical technology or knowledge. Now with the proliferation of medical technology, social healthcare, global aid etc. we are basically stopping natural selection in its tracks. Simultaneously, due to the advent of birth control and the temptation in the first-world societies to focus more on career and personal indulgence than having large families, people who come from higher intellectual genetic backgrounds are actually reproducing at the lowest rates in history.

Population sizes and intelligence have huge ramifications for geo-political issues, economic issues like wealth gaps and all sorts of things. I mean this is an unprecedented shift in the history of mankind. I think it's really fascinating.

Only in the past handful of decades have family sizes really started to reduce among more prosperous peoples. We are in the midst of a literal backslide in human intelligence. I just think that's so fascinating. And there's really no way to recover once it's happened. Primal circumstance is what initially shaped our evolution, now technology has basically evened that out. We are permanently as a species about to become less intelligent it seems.

Isn't that crazy???

Yep, and I think those two points are not in and of themselves surprising to most people.

But what I rarely here discussed is how this is actually going to affect the future.

For the vast majority of all civilization, people with more resources had the access to the very limited supply of medical technology or knowledge. Now with the proliferation of medical technology, social healthcare, global aid etc. we are basically stopping natural selection in its tracks. Simultaneously, due to the advent of birth control and the temptation in the first-world societies to focus more on career and personal indulgence than having large families, people who come from higher intellectual genetic backgrounds are actually reproducing at the lowest rates in history.

Population sizes and intelligence have huge ramifications for geo-political issues, economic issues like wealth gaps and all sorts of things. I mean this is an unprecedented shift in the history of mankind. I think it's really fascinating.

Only in the past handful of decades have family sizes really started to reduce among more prosperous peoples. We are in the midst of a literal backslide in human intelligence. I just think that's so fascinating. And there's really no way to recover once it's happened. Primal circumstance is what initially shaped our evolution, now technology has basically evened that out. We are permanently as a species about to become less intelligent it seems.

Isn't that crazy???
    Aren't you conflating ignorance with low intellect though? Lack of opportunity doesn't have to mean person A has a lower IQ than person B, who grew up in a first world environment. Interesting discussion though.

Dunking on everybody in the park

I think it is more worth my time to re-watch Idiocracy than read that post.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
    Advancements in medicine is all well and good but I'd bet that life expectancy in sub Saharan Africa is probably around half or 60% of fully westernized countries. I think your claim is hard to take at face value without some sort of real calculation.
    Look online for maps of global population growth. Pick any one you want from any .edu, .gov, .org etc.

That means total number of people, not simply birth rate, so it accounts for all that stuff. Africa and the Middle East are experiencing the highest rates of population increase. That's a well documented fact.

This seems to be something that is rooted pretty firmly in science. I'm sure our local fugazi PC scientists boozehound and deucewallaces will probably attack the idea, but fail to find an entry point to attack the logic. I mean it's become demonstrably clear that this is simply a real thing, and anyone who knows anything about evolution should be able to see causal factors pretty easily.

I honestly don't want to make this a political discussion or referendum on political correctness. I think this is a fascinating concept that humanity is actually going to take a SIGNIFICANT step back. Look into the numbers for IQ averages across populations, I'm not gonna post em here, and look at population directions. This isn't just like a tiny little blip within a margin of error. The global population is going to be LESS biologically intelligent in about 50 years. It's incredible.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
    Aren't you conflating ignorance with low intellect though? Lack of opportunity doesn't have to mean person A has a lower IQ than person B, who grew up in a first world environment. Interesting discussion though.

They are both factors. A certain range of capacity for intelligence is likely to be innate, and the social environment then plays a part in how it develops. Even within the same school district of kids from the same demographics, family incomes, childhood experiences etc. you have some kids who do very well on standardized tests at an early age, and some who do poorly. Individual variance is natural, and so is regional variance. Again, what we think of as 'intelligence' in a westernized world are the traits that were most useful in Europe and to a degree Asia for centuries. Think about a man who was a shrewd financier in 15th century London, versus a man who was a semi-intelligent farmer. The financier accumulated more resources, was able to supply his children with food and medical care etc. and the offspring with his genetic proclivity for intelligence were more likely to survive.

Then think about Native Americans during that same time. The survival difference wasn't about social class. They were all hunter/gatherers or crop growers etc. If there was a resource shortage, rationing was more likely to come down to physical prowess. Intelligence did not drive a difference between peoples survivability, at least to the same extent.

I mean science is currently bearing this out. Again, part of it is a result of us perceiving "intelligence" in a westernized way. But the reality is that's now the way of the world. And western intelligence is what generally dictates success. Again, ALL populations have very intelligent people, and very unintelligent people. But types of intelligence are demonstrated to be varied among historically geographically diverse groups due to thousands and thousands of years of evolution. For the first time in the history of man, that is now stopping. It's a fundamental end of a massive era of humanity. I mean it's really a huge thing IMO.

Evolution is basically grinding to a halt thanks to the global proliferation of first-world technology. But the people who created it aren't reproducing, and the people who did not create it are benefiting from it and rapidly reproducing much more quickly. Of course we're all still people, but in terms of global regions, there are quantifiable characteristic differences. Humanity has been on a step by step incline of intelligence since it began, but it appears the final step will be a step back, and then it'll basically stop.

Crazy.
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 02-26-2015 at 03:46 AM.

Opinions please!

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DonD13

Here, let me link you to the intellectual arena where you belong.

www.americanidol.com

Banned

Future generation >>>> previous one
    Next.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Keef
    Future generation >>>> previous one
    Next.

Excellent insight.

Here, click this link:

www.jerryspringertv.com