Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is everyone around me crazy? (Shaq Top 10 Argument)

I was in philosophy class (prerequisite before some of you start calling it a waste of money) and my professor was making some comparison about a concept of mental willpower and fortitude to Shaq.

He said that if Shaq had the mental fortitude to keep himself in shape rather than just relying mainly on his physical gifts, he could've been a legendary basketball player (somewhat agreeable).

I said in response, "Well, at the very least he's top 10 all time."

Everyone in the class who cared about the subject began muttering disapproval and various "no way"s in my direction, including the professor. One student who I KNOW is an avid basketball fan told me that I was tripping suggesting that.

I was completely befuddled that such a statement was crazy to suggest, but I didn't want to get the whole class off track so I let it go. I even stayed after class to argue it with the professor and a couple of other students but I just got similar results!

Am I crazy or is this what the consensus thinks of Shaq? I thought it was common knowledge he was at least top 10. Am I losing my mind?

Default Re: Is everyone around me crazy? (Shaq Top 10 Argument)

I've seen more than a few lists ranking Shaq outside the top 10, even SI had him 15th on their list earlier this year. Imo he is a clear cut consensus top 10 player, and to have him outside the top 10 is ludicrous

Quote Originally Posted by Springsteen
    I was in philosophy class (prerequisite before some of you start calling it a waste of money) and my professor was making some comparison about a concept of mental willpower and fortitude to Shaq.

He said that if Shaq had the mental fortitude to keep himself in shape rather than just relying mainly on his physical gifts, he could've been a legendary basketball player (somewhat agreeable).

Everyone in the class who cared about the subject began muttering disapproval and various "no way"s in my direction, including the professor. One student who I KNOW is an avid basketball fan told me that I was tripping suggesting that.

I was completely befuddled that such a statement was crazy to suggest, but I didn't want to get the whole class off track so I let it go. I even stayed after class to argue it with the professor and a couple of other students but I just got similar results!

Am I crazy or is this what the consensus thinks of Shaq? I thought it was common knowledge he was at least top 10. Am I losing my mind?
    With any rational arguments, he is around #7.

He's top ten. Right above Lebron.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Springsteen

college white boys do not know a basketball hope from their asshole

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

If you had a magic machine that was able to rewind everyone's career to start at the same year without knowing what their futures would be... only knowing what people knew on draft day... Shaq goes #1 overall in the NBA draft. If I recall correctly everyone at the draft lottery had an O'Neal jersey already made out to match their team. That hadn't happened prior nor has it since.

And his career lived up to it.

Could he have been even better if he worked harder? I think so... almost guaranteed... which is scary.

He is undoubtedly top 10 all time and he might just have the single highest peak of any player ever in terms of dominance.

The only other team I can ever remember having a jersey prepped on the night of the LOTTERY was the Cavs with James... but with Shaq, it was every team in attendance.

^ THAT IS THE LOTTERY. They went into the night with a jersey for him already made up, that is insane. lol.
    Last edited by Orlando Magic; 11-28-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Your professor and classmates are idiot.s

shaq has an argument for top 5. still there are 10 guys you could maybe argue over him so they're not completely crazy. still guessing their arguments mostly focused on him underachieving career wise.

1. MJ
    1. Wilt
    3. Russell
    4. KAJ
    5. Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by !@#$%Vectors!@#
    first proper use of this gif

Probably your prof. Know Shaq is top 10 all time . But in his speech , he's right . Shaq could've been a better career , easily . He(prof.)just want to make stronger his main point , which is irrelevant to Shaq's all time ranking .

Back to Business

uhhhhhh idk mane....shaq was great but idk about top 10....he pretty close though

3-time NBA All-Star

Anyone who has a brain knows its kobes team. He was the closer.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Shaq is without a doubt top 10.

OP needs to go to a real school