Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 162324252627 LastLast

Default Re: Official Olympics Rio 2016 thread

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    lol THIS .. Germany got the real prize .. that's what brazil really desperately wanted and they got humiliated in the process .. that will indeed haunt their asses
    why should it haunt them??? they are among the elite footballing nations if not outright despite what happen in WC14

First woman to medal at 6 summer Olympics in a row...

No news. No hype.

Why not?

Because the sport was shooting.

Feminists unite, my ass. They'll celebrate your achievements if it lines up with their leftist view of society.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    why should it haunt them???

lol

http://i.4cdn.org/sp/1471726543359.webm

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    why should it haunt them??? they are among the elite footballing nations if not outright despite what happen in WC14
    Right on. 2014 was an embarrassment that will never go away, but Brazil has more titles than Germany in every single tourney there is in football.

BRAZIL GERMANY

World Cup 5 4
    Euro/America 8 3
    Confederations Cup 4 0
    Olympics 1 0
    U-20 World Cup 5 1
    U-17 World Cup 3 0

Total 26 for Brazil and 8 for Germany

Of course no title compares to the World Cup, but you get the point.

4 sponsors drop lochte .. smh .. losin' that $$$ .. should've just gone home after you were done swimming like phelps did

Quote Originally Posted by lakers_forever
    Right on. 2014 was an embarrassment that will never go away, but Brazil has more titles than Germany in every single tourney there is in football.

BRAZIL GERMANY

World Cup 5 4
    Euro/America 8 3
    Confederations Cup 4 0
    Olympics 1 0
    U-20 World Cup 5 1
    U-17 World Cup 3 0

Total 26 for Brazil and 8 for Germany

Of course no title compares to the World Cup, but you get the point.
    nobody really gives af about any of those besides world cup, and 3 came during the 60's basically... its unfair to compare america to the euro's of course as well.

Germany is behind 1 WC, but their success is much more spread and consistent, they are generally a better footballing nation. Just how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Winning a gold medal is now meaningless...okaaaaay
    bro do you even know who competes at the olympics in football?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    Not meaningless to South Americans. Olympics are an important tournament in their culture.
    Exactly. Like **** the Germans playing just went to sleep like a baby that night and Neymar was crying at the end too. Doesn't really matter what a bunch of losers on a message board deem as meaningless as it obviously meant a whole lot to the players.

National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    nobody really gives af about any of those besides world cup, and 3 came during the 60's basically... its unfair to compare america to the euro's of course as well.

Germany is behind 1 WC, but their success is much more spread and consistent, they are generally a better footballing nation. Just how it is.
    Not how it is, just your opinion. I bet that not shared by the rest of the world.
    They won in 58,62 and 1970. So what? That does not count anymore?
    Brazil went to 3 straight finals from 1994 to 2002, winning two. After 2002, Brazil was the dominant football nation untill 2006. In 2008 Spain took over, not Germany. They won 2008, 2010 and 2012, Two Euros and a World Cup. As you can see by the Team of the year since 1993 by FIFa (Brazil 12 times, Germany twice. Spain 6 times):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_W...am_of_the_Year

Brazil did not win in the 80's but had the team that marvelled the World with Zico, Socrates, Falcao and so on. Even if you exclude the 50's and 60's (which would be absurd), Brazil is still ahead in elo ranking since 1970

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...ngs_since_1970

Brazil easily edges Germany in football legends as well.
    Last edited by lakers_forever; 08-22-2016 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater

5 > 4

I'm sure it's a big deal to win a gold medal as an athlete, but from a competitive standpoint, I don't see how Olympic soccer ranks higher than the World Cup, Champions League, Regional Championships (Euro's, Copa America, etc.) or Domestic League titles such as the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasi
    Yeah those two points were obviously homecooked but overall I gotta give it to the Brazilians, they have been the better team.

Interestingly the two men volleyball tournaments (the main one and the beach one) had the same final, Brazil v Italy. Definitely two powerhouses of the sport.

I played Beach V-ball for years in a heavy tourist spot, and I was constantly amazed at how good people were from Brazil and Europe. Seems like the sport is a lot more popular outside of the States.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    I'm sure it's a big deal to win a gold medal as an athlete, but from a competitive standpoint, I don't see how Olympic soccer ranks higher than the World Cup, Champions League, Regional Championships (Euro's, Copa America, etc.) or Domestic League titles such as the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.
    It's simple, it doesn't. It's just as meaningless as the Confederations Cup.

Banned

Pretty damn important if you ask me considering it was hosted by home country and first gold ever.

It should be just as important as any international tournament that involve nations.

Lets not talk about domestic league or Champions League which are usually won by the biggest clubs in the world with international superstars. You can buy a championship where you can't in these national team tournaments.
    Last edited by 9erempiree; 08-23-2016 at 03:33 AM.

Let the winning country host the next Olympics. Olympics in the US forever!