Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: The 72-10 Bulls, Just how focused was this team ?? The questions

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper
    We could analyse the pi$$ out of this again , as I did that year when they won 72 games ,,, but there are two critical points to make and that is it -
    1) They were purely dominant
    2) Every team that stepped on the floor at tip off , knew they were in trouble , just by looking at the Bulls.

This is no joke , no exageration - it is a fact.
    I agree. If my post somehow came off as anti-'96 Bulls I didn't mean it to be.

NBA rookie of the year

As mentioned, those Bulls did have injury issues. Rodman missed 18 games, Longley (starting center) missed 20 games, and Pippen missed 5 games. The Rodman absence was most significant due to the amount of games and his value to the team.

Not airballing my layups anymore

The Bulls were just dominant at that time. Infact, after winning 72 in 1996, they come right back and win 69 the next year. The 69 wins-record seemed untouchable for decades, and they achieved that in back-to-back seasons (They could have won 70 if not for a slump in the end of the season). Then in 1997-98, they won 62 games with Pippen injured for half the season.

They had role players who stepped up to complement Jordan and Pippen. Phil Jackson has the uncanny ability to get the best from them because he trusted them. Like Luke walton posting up in the Denver series, or Fisher nailing the three against Orlando after shooting badly the whole game.

And Jordan and Pippen did not take nights off. If they were healthy, they would play, unlike some of the stars today who would sit out the last game of the season if they are already locked for the playoffs, so they would not get injured.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Mister JT
    The Bulls were just dominant at that time. Infact, after winning 72 in 1996, they come right back and win 69 the next year. The 69 wins-record seemed untouchable for decades, and they achieved that in back-to-back seasons (They could have won 70 if not for a slump in the end of the season). Then in 1997-98, they won 62 games with Pippen injured for half the season.

They had role players who stepped up to complement Jordan and Pippen. Phil Jackson has the uncanny ability to get the best from them because he trusted them. Like Luke walton posting up in the Denver series, or Fisher nailing the three against Orlando after shooting badly the whole game.

And Jordan and Pippen did not take nights off. If they were healthy, they would play, unlike some of the stars today who would sit out the last game of the season if they are already locked for the playoffs, so they would not get injured.
    What a ****ing clown. Are you seriously knocking Lebron because he did this? I have never heard any criticism dumber than this - it makes you look like a ****ing idiot. They already had homecourt locked up - what possible advantage would they get from having their starters play another game?

Oh, and by the way: that was the coach's decision, not Lebron's.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

And to add to this....

I don't understand why players make the game complicated.

If your big man is hot keep feeding him the rock! I understand that the defense tries to prevent this, but even then they don't seem to try much.

If the pick and roll is working, keep running it over and over and over... its not that hard!

So they stop it a few times, go back to it again and again.

The way Brandon Jennings was playing the other night and how he explained it is how b-ball should be played. He said they were giving him the looks so he was just taking advantage. He wasn't forcing it, it was just simple easy basketball.

*rant over*

But that's what made the Bulls successful, it was their 'fundamentals' and their dedication to efficiency.

Not airballing my layups anymore

Did I mention Lebron's name? I didn't even know Lebron did that. I didn't diss him.

Also, it was about being a total competitor, wanting to win everything. We hear stories about the greats not wanting to lose in anything, whether it was cards, billiards or basketball games. I think, it's a mentality that the Bulls had.
    Last edited by Mister JT; 11-17-2009 at 12:36 AM.

- Bulls had FOUR great go to scorers - Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Kukoc

- Absolute perfect role players in Rodman, Kerr - Probably the two best guys at their specialty

- Solid if not spectacular big men

- Amazing defense

- Played with both amazing confidence and determination

- The best closer in NBA history

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roundball_Rock
    Thanks for posting, seeing that MJ and Pip combined for 84 in this game got me wondering what the biggest combination of points those two had or any duos for that matter.

I don't really care about MJ scoring 69 and someone else getting 16 for a total of 85 which is > 84. I'm talking two fairly monster games by teammates.

It wasn't just Jordan. Look at these 8 games where MJ shot 33% or worse. The Bulls went 7-1 in them.
    Get a clue, stat-boy. Even on those rare occasions when Jordan didn't shoot well, it was all of the intangibles that he brought to the team that helped make a difference -- such as toughness, continuous effort, and confidence.

Numbers simply don't explain everything. With MJ on the floor, even if he had missed every shot, the team had the confidence that if it came down to one last basket that he would make it... and that would give them the will to play harder.

i think that all three teams were just outstanding. especially the 97 team. 69 wins with the injuries, the proverbial champion "bulls eye" on their back, rodman being suspended 20 games, not to mention the vendetta that the league had on him. brian williams/bisen dele (a solid low post option) only playing in 9 games the whole season. thus having to go through the playoffs rusty.

thats easily a 75-76 win team with a relatively injury free season and williams/dele there for the whole season.

Consensus Top 20-30 AT Roundball_Rock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Get a clue, stat-boy. Even on those rare occasions when Jordan didn't shoot well, it was all of the intangibles that he brought to the team that helped make a difference -- such as toughness, continuous effort, and confidence.

Numbers simply don't explain everything. With MJ on the floor, even if he had missed every shot, the team had the confidence that if it came down to one last basket that he would make it... and that would give them the will to play harder.
    Yeah, MJ had the magic touch to make sure his team never had a losing season. Oh wait... This is what is annoying: MJ credited for everything under the sun that happened when he happened to be within a 500 mile radius. He wasn't the only player with great intangibles, something Nike and ESPN rarely mention but those who were on the team recognize. Listen to Phil Jackson and two Bulls'.

"Everybody who talks about the Chicago Bulls talks about MJ first," Harper says, "but Pip had a more all-around game. Defense, offensive rebounds and defensive boards: Pip made the game easier for us to play. But he may not ever get his due, not until he brings that other championship ring home."

This is a technical analysis, a basketball purist's take, because in matters that can't be quantified but mean everything—heart, courage, response to pressure—Jordan was incomparable. But the fact is, Jordan never won a championship without Pippen, either, and for good reason. No one is more versatile than Pippen. "He's the best defender I've seen," Dunleavy says. "I put him in a class with Bobby Jones, Sidney Moncrief and certainly Jordan. But they're different. Jordan, at his position, may have been as good as there was. But Scottie could guard more positions than Michael. Scottie can handle more sizes."

Jackson wanted Pippen badly in L.A., but Buss never seriously considered going after him. "I thought it was meant to be," Jackson says. "I thought he was a godsend for us in L.A. For me to have to swallow it and move on was very difficult. On the Bulls he was probably the player most liked by the others. He mingled. He could bring out the best in the players and communicate the best. Leadership, real leadership, is one of his strengths. Everybody would say Michael is a great leader. He leads by example, by rebuke, by harsh words. Scottie's leadership was equally dominant, but it's a leadership of patting the back, support."

Or, as former Bull Joe Kleine puts it, "Michael was the father figure saying, 'You're grounded.' Pip was like Mom coming in to tell you everything's going to be all right."
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...38/5/index.htm

But yeah, it was all MJ.

Bulls had FOUR great go to scorers - Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Kukoc
    Harper was a single digit scorer in Chicago. He was a great scorer in LA and Cleveland but never recovered from an injury he suffered in LA. Kukoc was a solid scorer, though, who averaged 19 ppg as the #1 option in 1999. I agree with the rest of your post, though.

Thanks for posting, seeing that MJ and Pip combined for 84 in this game got me wondering what the biggest combination of points those two had or any duos for that matter.
    Good question. My guess would be West/Baylor given the insane pace of the 60's.

thats easily a 75-76 win team with a relatively injury free season and williams/dele there for the whole season.
    Good point. Imagine a 76-6 team!

1995-96 Chicago Bulls were the best offensive team and best defensive team in 1996.

Offensive Rating:
    115.2 (1st of 29) ▪ Defensive Rating: 101.8 (1st of 29)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1996.html

Amazing, Lebron23. Has any other team ranked #1 in both categories?

Amazing, Lebron23. Has any other team ranked #1 in both categories?
    The 1996 Chicago Bulls are the only team that accomplished that feat.

Thanks for the info! That is another reason that is the GOAT team.