Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: Dwight Howard cant ever be considered better than Kobe, Rose or Lebron.

Dwight is very overrated to me. He gets crowned by some as the best player in the league even though he's an inconsistent player on offense and does NOTHING toward making his teammates better.

That's what made guys like Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan gold by the way. Not that they were tall. It's that they were tall and very smart team players who knew how to create looks for their teammates. That hardly applies to Dwight.

College superstar

Default Re: Dwight Howard cant ever be considered better than Kobe, Rose or Lebron.

For my opinion, see ShaqAttack's post.

Quote Originally Posted by knickswin
    Dwight is very overrated to me. He gets crowned by some as the best player in the league even though he's an inconsistent player on offense and does NOTHING toward making his teammates better.

That's what made guys like Hakeem, Shaq, Duncan gold by the way. Not that they were tall. It's that they were tall and very smart team players who knew how to create looks for their teammates. That hardly applies to Dwight.
    No one ever says he is the best player in the league

Local High School Star

i don't have a problem with the criticisms, but its a hectic situation. Do these criticisms mean Dwight wants to stay with Orlando? Probably not.. since he has a shortlist of teams that he has openly admitted he would like to sign to.

It sounds like he's getting some jabs in before he hits the road.

Being a good passer is not the only way to make your teammates better. Dwight is the best defender in the league and consistently draws double teams in the post. Those two things do more to improve his teammates than any passing from a big man ever could.

Inconsistent on offense? He's been averaging around 20ppg for the past five years, and that's without ever having a good passing pg to work with. I'd imagine that number could go up to 22 or 23ppg if he had a good point guard.

No, he's not the guy you go to offensively down the stretch, but very very few big men are. So why is Dwight overrated? Because he hasn't won a championship? The three guys you named never won anything without HALL OF FAME wings who could shoulder some of that scoring load and make shots down the stretch. (Well, ok Hakeem did for his first championship but we'll let that slide).

Dwight is rightfully pissed off because the Magic have failed to put any talent around him, just look at the game last night; not one player on that roster scored more than 10 points other than Dwight with his 28/16. Just pathetic. I'd be mad too, and the Magic deserve to lose him.

umm this Id agree on Kobe and LBJ, but when did DRose move to the category of Kobe/LBJ? Hes not even a top 2 PG right now, dude needs to work on his playmaking skills unless hes ever as good a scorer as Kobe.

Very good NBA starter

First off, the Magic suck right now. It's a team game and that team collectively looks out of it and a just a hodgepodge of players. Secondly, even when the Magic didn't suck and had good players surrounded around him I thought Dwight was overrated (and overrated by default generally, look at the league right now and in the past few years, couldn't even beat Rose for MVP in his best scoring season). But right now, I don't think it's on Howard for "complaining", in a sense he's calling out management as much as he's calling out the players. As much as Dwight is a star, I think he lacks the finesse, the dexterity, and feel for the game other great big men had (that he is inevitably compared to), so it's going to take a great team around him, who knows when/if he gets it, teams are going to have to give up too much for him IMO.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
    This guy isnt a real leader. All he is is a definite piece to a championship team...and every championship team needs a real leader like kobe rose lebron ect. The way he puts his teammates on blast...and how they dont even give a fuc about winning shows his leadership skills. Which is why he should never be considered greater then these guys.
    You are downright retarded if you go with Kobe or Rose over Dwight Howard.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Howard was arguably the best player in the league last season but this season he isn't better than any of the there players the OP listed and Durant as well.
    Howard >>>>>>>>>> Rose

You Rose fans are not better than Carmelo Anthony fans.

Local High School Star

Is Dwight not getting doubled anymore? All the above players "created looks" by getting doubled passing out and hoping the open shooter scores.

If JJ Reddick and Ryan Anderson keep up their percentages without Dwight whilst retaining the same usage then I'll believe Dwight isn't "making them better".

Banned

he will never be as good as dirk either.

also, lebron is not a leader.

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    he will never be as good as dirk either.

also, lebron is not a leader.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Is Dwight not getting doubled anymore? All the above players "created looks" by getting doubled passing out and hoping the open shooter scores.

If JJ Reddick and Ryan Anderson keep up their percentages without Dwight whilst retaining the same usage then I'll believe Dwight isn't "making them better".
    Dwight definitely demands doubles (although sometimes teams will just single team him with some success) . . . but to me there is a significant difference between how he "makes his teammates better" which is to just dump it out to his teammates so they can take jump shots (often toward the end of the shot clock) and how other centers looked to create easier looks for their teammates.

This thread is stupid. And now, we move on.

I rule the local playground MASH Transit's Avatar

Why would you start your franchise with a slashing guard whose dominance is dependent upon his athleticism when you can start it with a generational big, and the best defender of our era?

That doesn't make sense. Athleticism fades. Height, length, and IQ are eternal.