Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Clippers ALL DAY

Default Prime Kevin Garnett = Best PF of all Time?

He was a beast at the both ends of the floor in his prime. What do you guys think? Is he the best PF of all time in terms of individual performance. Not talking about rings, finals MVPs, etc.

I usually hit open layups

Default Re: Prime Kevin Garnett = Best PF of all Time?

Garnett>> Duncan

Without ginobili and parker duncan is nothing.

Agreed

What can I do for you? SuperPippen's Avatar

IMO, no.

I'd still put Duncan above him. Duncan was superior offensively, they were both equally good rebounders, and defensively Duncan was a better anchor, and protected the rim better, although it could be argued that KG was more versatile defensively.

ThaSwagg3r
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Prime Tim Duncan was better. Tim Duncan showed everyone in 02-03 that he was not the best PF in the league but the greatest power forward ever.

The Admiral in his final season on his last legs. Manu a rookie who came off the bench and did very little. Malik Rose getting major minutes, along with Stephen Jackson when he was a nobody. Tony Parker a second year PG with deer in the headlights syndrome in the playoffs. Duncan led that crew to a title. Duncan led them past the 3-peat Lakers, going for 37/16 on the Lakers own home court to finish them off. He then almost had a quadruple double in the last game of the finals, going for 21 points, 20 boards, 10 dimes and 8 blocks. Meanwhile, the guy he was guarding, K-Mart, went 3-19 for 6 points. It doesn't get much more dominating than that.

Did KG ever do that in his prime or anything remotely similar?

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPippen
    IMO, no.

I'd still put Duncan above him. Duncan was superior offensively, they were both equally good rebounders, and defensively Duncan was a better anchor, and protected the rim better, although it could be argued that KG was more versatile defensively.
    I won't argue about Duncan since it's very close between Duncan and KG but KG being more versatile defensively is not arguable. That's a fact. I remember KG guarding guys like Kobe, McGrady, and other guards in his prime. I don't ever remember Duncan doing that.

Clippers ALL DAY

Quote Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
    Prime Tim Duncan was better. Tim Duncan showed everyone in 02-03 that he was not the best PF in the league but the greatest power forward ever.

The Admiral in his final season on his last legs. Manu a rookie who came off the bench and did very little. Malik Rose getting major minutes, along with Stephen Jackson when he was a nobody. Tony Parker a second year PG with deer in the headlights syndrome in the playoffs. Duncan led that crew to a title. Duncan led them past the 3-peat Lakers, going for 37/16 on the Lakers own home court to finish them off. He then almost had a quadruple double in the last game of the finals, going for 21 points, 20 boards, 10 dimes and 8 blocks. Meanwhile, the guy he was guarding, K-Mart, went 3-19 for 6 points. It doesn't get much more dominating than that.

KG had a shitty supporting cast and coaching where Duncan had many good role players and one of the best coaches of all time around him.

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by GS1905
    KG had a shitty supporting cast and coaching where Duncan had many good role players and one of the best coaches of all time around him.
    Not in 2003. Duncan's teammates were in the same playing field as Garnett's in Minnesota. The ultimate difference between the two is the fact that Duncan could close out games and anchor the paint defensively while Garnett couldn't. Those two reasons were what ultimately made Duncan better than KG.

Decent college freshman

No way. Duncan was always better. I'll take Dirk, Charles Barkley, and maybe Karl Malone over him too.

I think prime KG and prime Duncan are on the same tier.

Also he had another of the greatest individual NBA Finals performances in game 1;
    32 points / 20 rebounds / 6 asissts / 7 blocks / 3 steals / 0.647fg

And held K-Mart 0.417 from the field. (10/24)

Not in 2003. Duncan's teammates were in the same playing field as Garnett's in Minnesota. The ultimate difference between the two is the fact that Duncan could close out games and anchor the paint defensively while Garnett couldn't. Those two reasons were what ultimately made Duncan better than KG.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Nah. Prime Duncan was just a better player. Smarter and more consistent offensively with his post game. KG in his prime was amazing and I have him as the 2nd best PF ever....but Duncan was a littler better in my opinion.

Banned

lol he never delivered in big games and still never has, needed to be a third option to finally win a ring, HOW IS HE EVEN CLOSE TO DUNCAN OR MALONE OR EVEN DIRK OR BARKLEY'S LEVEL? Not to mention Kevin McHale

ThaSwagg3r

Quote Originally Posted by PowerGlove
    Tell me what is so wrong about what I said.

Kevin Garnett couldn't get out of the 1st round until '03-'04 and Duncan already had two championships by then.

That '02-'03 season pretty much defines Duncan's career. Without it people would probably still argue today whether or not he was greater than Malone, KG, Barkley, or even Dirk. They would question him because people would think he was put in a greater situation than those other four rather than him being the one creating the greater situation for his teammates.