Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #31
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony exposed as an "average" star

Look bottom line......

Most knowledgeable Knicks fans view.......

Previous group......WITHOUT MELO

Be competitive, make the playoffs, by winning as many regular season game as they can, gain valuable experience in a first round out, fill in the holes.....

Current group....WITH MELO

Be competitive, make the playoffs regardless of seeding, give whomever they play a tough out (meaning stretch the series out) in a first round loss, fill in the holes.......
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #32
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
In all honesty Knicks fan, can you admit that the reason the record was so good was because it was an extremely home based/sub .500 record?

Nope. We had that record because Amar'e went beastmode for a 14 game stretch and we went 13-1. That 12 game bump completely hid our true success. We started the season 3-8, and the rumblings started that Danphoney was not the right coach, but then that winning streak got everyone's hopes up. If it weren't for Amar'e playing at MVP level we would not even be a playoff team.

Edit: and yes those were almost all sub .500 teams, so that part is true.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
Rose
good scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Nope. We had that record because Amar'e went beastmode for a 14 game stretch and we went 13-1. That 12 game bump completely hid our true success. We started the season 3-8, and the rumblings started that Danphoney was not the right coach, but then that winning streak got everyone's hopes up. If it weren't for Amar'e playing at MVP level we would not even be a playoff team.
Danphoney I like that one.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

Why do people believe that Bill Simmons somehow religiously follows PER as if it were the answer to everything basketball related? he himself admitted that it doesn't cover all the aspects of the game (as the box score itself is limited), and he probably watches more NBA game a season than half of ISH put together.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #35
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
In all honesty Knicks fan, can you admit that the reason the record was so good was because it was an extremely home based/sub .500 record?
Our strength of schedule combined with 30/10 from Amare.

Not really the home court, because at one time we had close to the one of the best road records.

Amare was playing on an MVP level and we still wasn't anywhere near elite.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #36
get these NETS
you can't stop me

Writers have to get leaked stories, exclusive interviews or create garbage stats to stand out in a crowded field of sports "reporters"....especially in NYC area.

And people still act shocked when big name athletes say "no thank you" to playing over here.

You get better info from good sports forums. About 3 years until EVERYBODY realizes this and most sports writing gigs disappear altogether.
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #37
Joey3000
Dunking on everybody in the park

people forget that the whole team roster was gutted in order to get Carmelo. Jared Jeffries is playing Center!!! What did u expect?

Carmelo is one of the deadliest offensive weapons in the league. He is absolutely a superstar.
Joey3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #38
Droid101
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Why do people believe that Bill Simmons somehow religiously follows PER as if it were the answer to everything basketball related? he himself admitted that it doesn't cover all the aspects of the game (as the box score itself is limited), and he probably watches more NBA game a season than half of ISH put together.
I think you meant Hollinger, but yeah, this. Nobody bases their entire view of a player on one stat. They use everything at their disposal to rate players.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #39
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
I think you meant Hollinger, but yeah, this. Nobody bases their entire view of a player on one stat. They use everything at their disposal to rate players.

Because that is the main stat that he ALWAYS uses. I mean it's his stat. He doesn't talk about the fact that Carmelo is one the very few players (forgot the number) who have averaged over 20 ppg for the first 7 years of their career. He doesn't talk about the fact that Carmelo is the 3rd leading rebounder amongst small forwards. No, no. He starts with
Quote:
Nonetheless, he has never finished in the top 10 in the league in player efficiency rating. Not once. In 2009-10 he posted a career high in PER, and it placed him 13th, right in front of former Knicks immortal David Lee.
once he goes into the stats.

Hollinger is a hack. Baseball is a great sport for advanced stats. Basketball isn't.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:24 PM   #40
strike first
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
you just proved to me you don't watch basketball. what are you 15? shut your mouth child

mad melo isnt even top 10?

yea.. you mad as hell
strike first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:27 PM   #41
B-Rich
I usually hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
I said he was an average star.

He's not a superstar.

He's not a top 10 player in this league, now, or ever in his career.
He was a top 10 player sometime in his career, even last year he was. Not right now though.
B-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:28 PM   #42
XxSMSxX
Banned

Quote:
Now New York is left with a stripped-down roster that has two stars, a point guard aging before our eyes, and not a whole lot else. And although Anthony is good enough that having him and Billups is still slightly better than having Felton, Gallinari, Chandler and Timofey Mozgov, the opportunity cost of this acquisition was enormous -- the Knicks basically can't make any other moves involving a first-round pick for the next half-decade, and have no other young assets to put into deals for any other players. They recklessly committed all their assets to a deal that only marginally improved the team, much as they did nearly a decade earlier with the Stephon Marbury trade. While talk of a third star joining up looms in the background, the Knicks' cap situation and lack of trade assets makes it an unlikely scenario, as our Chad Ford recently detailed.

I agree with this completely.

and for those saying Melo's top ten i'd take these ten players over Melo easily
1. Wade
2. Bron
3. Kobe
4. Paul
5. Deron
6. Nash
7. Durant
8. Rose
9. Dwight
10. Aldrige
11. Dirk

maybe a couple others but yea i know for sure i'd take those guys over melo
XxSMSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:33 PM   #43
Sarcastic

LMAO at Aldridge ahead of Carmelo. This is his best year and he still hasn't broken 22 ppg, and he is 25 years old. Carmelo is 26, and has been above that just about every year of his career. This year he gets 1 more rebound per game than Melo and he plays the power forward.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #44
Scoooter
NBA sixth man of the year

Yeah, Aldridge is a weird choice there. He's good, but he hasn't been playing like this for long. Pau Gasol I could see. Maybe Andrew Bogut. Maybe Zach Randolph or Blake Griffin, because of the rebounding.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #45
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

is there an ass pounding convention in manhattan today? I have never seen so many butthurt new yorkers. Love the people dismissing hollinger (not even gonna read it!) for his stats, which are hardly even mentioned in this relatively well thought out article. Hes right. and those blaming d'antoni for all of it (or melo for all of it) are fooling themselves. Melo will never be even an average defender.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: