Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Default Re: 1999 Duncan vs 2015 Anthony Davis?

1. The level of competition that the San Antonio Spurs faced in the 1999 NBA Finals was weak. I'm not some agenda driven poster trying to be funny, that really was the consensus around the league. When the Spurs won their second title in 2003 the announcers back then even referenced that the 99' championship has an asterisk to it due to the shortened season and the team they faced in the championship round. There was no way on god's green Earth that the Spurs were going to lose that series, not because the 99' Spurs is some All-Time great team but because the 99' Knicks were an All-Time worst team to compete in the NBA Finals.

2. You guys can have your own opinions of Davis vs. Duncan. 2015 Anthony Davis was a statistical juggernaut who carried a below average Pelicans team to the Playoffs. If this was Peak Duncan then I'd take him, but since it isn't I'll take Anthony Davis who was an MVP and Defensive Player of the Year candidate.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda
    Realize that was the only team Spurs played those playoffs I did not.
    Looking through the teams they faced and I don't see one legit title contender.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1999.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    Comparing total WS when Duncan played in a 50-game season lol
    and Davis played only 18 more games...

I hope you understand how Win Shares work.

Quote Originally Posted by RightToCensor
    Looking through the teams they faced and I don't see one legit title contender.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_1999.html
    Shaq/Kobe/Rice/Jones/Fisher/Horry/Fox - they were the title favorites before the season started.

How about a Blazers team that won 70% of their games (57 win pace).

Still like to know how you came to the conclusion that Davis was better than Duncan in everything but low-post scoring, btw.

College superstar

anthony davis

no other HOF bigman to help him. no popovich either, but that's neither here or there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    Shaq/Kobe/Rice/Jones/Fisher/Horry/Fox - they were the title favorites before the season started.
    Any old that proves this statement? Because I'm looking at the 1999 Lakers and they had three coaches and they settled on Kurt Rambis who was always a horrible coach.

How about a Blazers team that won 70% of their games (57 win pace).
    Win Pace really isn't a good measurement to compare a shortened season of 50 games to a full 82 game schedule. Literally no player on that Blazers stood out for any end-of-season accomplishment besides Rasheed being second in the Sixth Man of the Year Award voting.

Still like to know how you came to the conclusion that Davis was better than Duncan in everything but low-post scoring, btw.
    I've actually watched both players.

OP asked for a single season, 1999 Duncan vs. 2015 Davis. It's not hard to watch full archived video of Tim Duncan's greatest games and season highlights. People are blurting random shit, but don't even bother taking the time to research either player and what they did and how they played.

It's not rocket science to at least attempt to compare two players.

1. The level of competition that the San Antonio Spurs faced in the 1999 NBA Finals was weak. I'm not some agenda driven poster trying to be funny, that really was the consensus around the league. When the Spurs won their second title in 2003 the announcers back then even referenced that the 99' championship has an asterisk to it due to the shortened season and the team they faced in the championship round. There was no way on god's green Earth that the Spurs were going to lose that series, not because the 99' Spurs is some All-Time great team but because the 99' Knicks were an All-Time worst team to compete in the NBA Finals.

2. You guys can have your own opinions of Davis vs. Duncan. 2015 Anthony Davis was a statistical juggernaut who carried a below average Pelicans team to the Playoffs. If this was Peak Duncan then I'd take him, but since it isn't I'll take Anthony Davis who was an MVP and Defensive Player of the Year candidate.
    1. Did the 1999 Spurs (or 2015 GSW) have any control over who they played in the Finals? Were they responsible for any injuries that their opponent had? Do they just play whoever reaches the Finals from the East Conference? Was there ANYTHING they could have done to justify in your mind that they deserve that ring?

2. I could just as easily say that Duncan was 3rd in MVP voting (740 out of a max 1180) in 1999 compared to Davis' 5th (203 pts out of a max 1300) in 2015. Davis was 4th in DPOY voting in 2015 while Duncan was 5th in DPOY voting in 1999. Duncan was 1st team All-Defensive in 1999 while both Davis and a 39 year old Duncan were 2nd team All-Defensive in 2015.

I've actually watched both players.

OP asked for a single season, 1999 Duncan vs. 2015 Davis. It's not hard to watch full archived video of Tim Duncan's greatest games and season highlights. People are blurting random shit, but don't even bother taking the time to research either player and what they did and how they played.

It's not rocket science to at least attempt to compare two players.
    What are you talking about here? You obviously haven't seen 99 Duncan, because if you did, you'd see pretty quickly that he was a better defensive player - and I explained why. He was smarter, quicker inside (as he hadn't tore his meniscus yet), stronger and not a gambler. Davis has him beat on PnR defense.

You're the one who hasn't given any context to your position that Davis is better than Tim at everything but low-post scoring. You just made the absurd comment and left it there. I asked you for specifics on his defense vs Duncan's, and basically just said 'he has all-time great defensive potential and he's young', which is meaningless in this debate.

And I'll say it again: I'm taking Davis over Duncan too. But it sure as hell isn't by a landslide (which you implied), and it sure as hell isn't for his underwhelming defense.

I'm thought it was the Jazz that were the favourites that year. Even listening to the playoff broadcast, youcan here tthen saying tthe Jazz were supposed to win it all.

Banned

I knew you Spurs fans are gonna keep trying to complain to me about the same redundant shit. I don't even love Anthony Davis or hate Tim Duncan, but you guys are making it impossible to not do so. You're just as bad as Lebron and Kobe stans.

How about you guys start watching film and not assuming things, like assuming Tim Duncan in 1999 was a better defender because some random dude said he was.

Here are links to the only full games of the 1999 San Antonio Spurs. I've watched the series for myself, I'd you to show me where Duncan is the better defender than Anthony Davis because I for one can't see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgboiR3_heY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze-NDL4uX4k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIfl-k474iE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pkwXjTrJns
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9Cm6_oo-DQ

Also, try not to take everything so literal. I get that Tim Duncan may be your favorite player, but you kissing ass and complaining without bringing factual evidence to support him does you nor him any justice.
    Last edited by RightToCensor; 07-22-2015 at 05:39 PM.