Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: What age did you decline? Felt it, and noticed it?

I started declining about 3 or 4 years ago. So around 20ish.

Mainly due to loss of interest. I realized I couldn't get as far as I wanted, and I called it a day in terms of basketball.
    As far as athletically, I've declined jumping wise though I can still throw down basic dunks, but speed is as good as ever, and strength is through the roof in terms of comparing to when I was playing competitively. All this because I go to the gym 6 days a week and love working out. I still love ball. I actually played for the first time in about a year or something just last week, and my girlfriend was watching and she said I looked so happy out there. I was, but it was also frustrating not being able to dribble and shoot the way I used to. Still good since I played 16 years of my life and naturally that builds up over time, but not great.

As far as not getting to where I wanted to with basketball, I really think I should have tried harder. I recently found out a guy I used to play with, and was actually a division higher than over here in Australia, is now playing college ball over there for a division 1 school. He is also the best player on the team... I wasn't aware enough of how to make my dream possible from over here in Australia. Even a year and a half after quitting basketball competitively I was offered a spot in a developmental squad for an NBL team, but I didn't think it was worth the time.

Just seeing a former teammate who I was comfortably better than at the time, and far more gifted than athletically, it makes me slightly pissed off that I didn't get it together and keep a good thing going.

TL, DR, but yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    I started declining about 3 or 4 years ago. So around 20ish.

Mainly due to loss of interest. I realized I couldn't get as far as I wanted, and I called it a day in terms of basketball.
    As far as athletically, I've declined jumping wise though I can still throw down basic dunks, but speed is as good as ever, and strength is through the roof in terms of comparing to when I was playing competitively. All this because I go to the gym 6 days a week and love working out. I still love ball. I actually played for the first time in about a year or something just last week, and my girlfriend was watching and she said I looked so happy out there. I was, but it was also frustrating not being able to dribble and shoot the way I used to. Still good since I played 16 years of my life and naturally that builds up over time, but not great.

As far as not getting to where I wanted to with basketball, I really think I should have tried harder. I recently found out a guy I used to play with, and was actually a division higher than over here in Australia, is now playing college ball over there for a division 1 school. He is also the best player on the team... I wasn't aware enough of how to make my dream possible from over here in Australia. Even a year and a half after quitting basketball competitively I was offered a spot in a developmental squad for an NBL team, but I didn't think it was worth the time.

Just seeing a former teammate who I was comfortably better than at the time, and far more gifted than athletically, it makes me slightly pissed off that I didn't get it together and keep a good thing going.

TL, DR, but yeah.

Soo oo....How old are You?

You should of tried and enrolled in a college in the states. There's no pathway here, you have ti go where the money and exposure is.

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Soo oo....How old are You?

You should of tried and enrolled in a college in the states. There's no pathway here, you have ti go where the money and exposure is.
    I'm 23.

I realize that now. The mate I'm talking about actually got discovered while playing for the Australian junior team. I essentially quit playing basketball when I got selected for my state team at the time. Didn't even get to play a game for them.

Stupid decision now.

You must be insanely mentally weak to decline at the age of 20.

That's not even declining. You said you flat out stopped playing the game.. of course you're gonna lose some skill. Maybe if you weren't so lazy you could keep improving till the age of 40.

I've been playing ball almost everyday for 32 years. I'm 46 now and my game is better than it's ever been.... my athleticism is no where near as good as it was when I was your age but my ball handling, shooting, finishing, and overall feel of the game is almost that of a pro...

My advice for you is to stop saying you've "declined" and simply get back on the wagon and start working on your game again. Your girl said you looked happy because she usually sees a depressed guy with nothing to look forward to. As you get older you'll realize basketball is more important than you previously thought and that the simple things in life go a long way into making you happy and content.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I was a few years out of college, probably 24 or 25 when I felt like I was declining, but the truth was my game was just changing. I certainly wasn't physically what I was. But I still had the wherewithal to get better at that point and compensate. I continued to get better as a shooter, ballhandler, and just conceptually after that. Although some of it was probably just the guys who were like that that I played with before that had petered out, and now I just seemed smarter because the guys playing were almost exclusively younger and knew less.

Anyway, it was probably about 28 or 29 when my physical decline became too much physically. Knee pain limited my mobility, and caused too much pain in the following days. I got my last dunk off at 28. I know because it was shortly after my birthday. I was coaching at the time and spent all of warmups loosening up, and I felt bouncy that day.

I was able to muscle through the mediocre mens league from then on. I was the guy you could tell used to be good. I still had fun. That was until about 35, when my Achilles tore. Then last year after a few month comeback my other Achilles tore. I'll be 37 in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    You must be insanely mentally weak to decline at the age of 20.

That's not even declining. You said you flat out stopped playing the game.. of course you're gonna lose some skill. Maybe if you weren't so lazy you could keep improving till the age of 40.

I've been playing ball almost everyday for 32 years. I'm 46 now and my game is better than it's ever been.... my athleticism is no where near as good as it was when I was your age but my ball handling, shooting, finishing, and overall feel of the game is almost that of a pro...

My advice for you is to stop saying you've "declined" and simply get back on the wagon and start working on your game again. Your girl said you looked happy because she usually sees a depressed guy with nothing to look forward to. As you get older you'll realize basketball is more important than you previously thought and that the simple things in life go a long way into making you happy and content.
    You're usually a f@ggot when you post, and I can see you're trying to do that here as well, but this post genuinely made me laugh, so I won't call you a f@ggot in this post.