Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    College superstar

Default Re: wade vs clyde drexler

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT

EXTREMELY close but I'd go with Wade in terms of peak and overall career...
    fair enough. who do you think has the better prime, and longevity thus far?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24

nice gifs 3ball - i don't think those guys were near as good finishing left, but what separates Richmond and Sprewell is they had better HANDLES going left

Going left is going left.. there's no special handle needed to drive left - the only things a player needs to get by his man is a quick first step and of course the ball control/coordination seen by Clyde in those gifs.

The extra dribbling that many guys do is uneccesary - did it help Richmond and Sprewell get by their man easier??

Hell no.. Drexler was far better at getting by his man - his first step was better than Richmond and Sprewell's - the GIFs and highlights show in very obvious fashion how much easier Drexler got by his man.

so Spree and Richmond could pull-up easier

Drexler's pull-up jumpshot was elite - not sure where you got the idea it wasn't.. Again, you don't need to pound the rock a ton to have a great pull-up jumper.

You should know that almost EVERY wing player back then had a great pull-up mid-range jumper... It was mandatory because there was no spacing/3-point shooting to draw defenders to the perimeter.. The resulting clogged paint prevented guys like MJ and Drexler from getting in the lane whenever they wanted, so they had to pull-up from mid-range frequently to have high scoring averages.

The mid-range pull-up was a STAPLE of every wing player's game back then (bird, alex english, bernard king, vandeweghe, you name it).
    Last edited by 3ball; 07-24-2015 at 08:28 PM.

Dwyane wade maybe the best slasher since Jordan in the nba gotta take him.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

who do you think is the greater sg btw? wade or glide?
    I forgot to answer your question about who was better..

Wade had a better peak, but Drexler performed much better in the 2nd half of their respective careers.. Also, there are many teams where Drexler would fit in much better - like alongside Lebron for example.

Alongside Lebron from 2011-2014, Wade averaged 20.3/5.2/4.3 on 48% in the playoffs.

This is better than Pippen's 17.6/7.4/5.0 on 40% in 1996-1998 playoffs (at same age), but it doesn't compare to Drexler's 23/7/6 on 47% from 1992-1995 (at same age)..

Drexler's superior stats after 30 years old, and his off-ball game would be a superior fit alongside Lebron than Wade was.. Overall, I still go with Wade though, by a tad.

I have Wade higher.

Drexler was doing some near LeBron numbers for a good time there.. came close to 3 straight finals. Close call all time, as far as peak? Wade.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    I forgot to answer your question about who was better..

Wade had a better peak, but Drexler performed much better in the 2nd half of their respective careers.. Also, there are many teams where Drexler would fit in much better - like alongside Lebron for example.

Alongside Lebron from 2011-2014, Wade averaged 20.3/5.2/4.3 on 48% in the playoffs.

This is better than Pippen's 17.6/7.4/5.0 on 40% in 1996-1998 playoffs (at same age), but it doesn't compare to Drexler's 23/7/6 on 47% from 1992-1995 (at same age)..

Drexler's superior stats after 30 years old, and his off-ball game would be a superior fit alongside Lebron than Wade was.. Overall, I still go with Wade though, by a tad.
    No you didn't. You posted the same drivel in your earlier post. Removed it and put it in a new post to bump the thread. Moron.

Peak Wade >>> Peak Drexler.

You have West over Kobe? West has 1 ring and is a career loser.

I usually hit open layups

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    wade benefits ALOT from the rule changes. he wouldnt be nearly as effective in the 90s
    I can't see him scoring less than Drex in 90's... so yeah, he would at least be nearly as effective as Drex and the comparison between the two is a great one / a meaningful thread ..

and sorry to those I offended .. I didn't really mean to suggest refereeing trends altered the 2006 playoffs that much... just that it might be worth taking a look at to see if it had some effect... at the end of the day, I think Pistons just plain got beat by 06 Heat..

to the WadeRings guy, sorry I somehow totally forgot about that injury-by-humanbowlingball Cardinal, that's right, my bad.. I'll give that a pass then.. and that's a good vid of Bron's game 2 defence -- find me the behind the scenes footage of the mysterious "other person" (as Stephen A. Smith heard) he was having personal issues with prior to the Space Jam game 4, you are truly The Man...

also, one more thing, thought I was clear enough but I'm learning you gotta be crystal on these forums... when I said Drex's "deep Blazers" would "handle" the 06 Mavs, I thought it was gently implied they could beat the Heat (who were only 2 games better than those Mavs)... but you think 2006 Heat "couldn't hold a candlestick" to Drex's Blazers, like it'd be a sweep... I say no, you're thinking of the 90's Bulls...

Wade was F'n great in 2006 tho if that's all ya wanna hear... Peaks are important to note but in the bigger picture I don't believe 1 year clinches it (when Drex could have been if not as great then at least very great vs. Mavs too) but if you do, alrite, cool.. I'm guessing tho you're also taking Wade's 2009-2011 into big consideration ... fair nuff. I don't think Wade was as much the man on 2011 team as you believe (if he was, Heat would have won) ... I don't believe 2011 Heat had a clear cut leader yet (or even a fully fleshed roster).. so Pat Riley was at least right for telling Bron it had to be him going forward and I hope Bron said back to him tho: Sure but like, can you get us a decent point guard? A center of some sort? A bit of depth? That might be a team..

((To Riley's credit, he then proceeded to do just that in 2012, Bron was better in 2012, everybody went home happy when the conditions were right...
    but digression: Riley, maybe as an ex-Laker, then suffered from Kupchakism again after 2013, thinking he had 2014 in the bag despite Wade clearly showing some signs of slowing and Bosh never emerging as much more than an obviously distant third wheel (like, ya know, Dave Debusschere for Knicks, no offence glad he made HOF but people talk about Reed & Frazier mostly... if it's prime Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis or Blake Griffin making up that Heat Big 3, okay then they really were the Monstars))...
    Last edited by superteamtheory; 07-25-2015 at 12:16 AM.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

but it doesn't compare to Drexler's 23/7/6 on 47% from 1992-1995 (at same age)..

Wade's fit with Lebron is overblown, he was dealing with injuries and past his prime from 2012-2014 that's why his numbers were considerably lower. His last real prime year being 2011, he averaged roughly 26 6 5 on 58 ts%.

As for Drexler being superior post age 30, all this says is he has better longevity and avoided injury better. Him being better in his post-prime isn't enough to put him on par with Wade. Wade has 4 seasons better than any of Drexler's.

wade clearly wins this

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    Wade's fit with Lebron is overblown, he was dealing with injuries and past his prime from 2012-2014 that's why his numbers were considerably lower. His last real prime year being 2011, he averaged roughly 26 6 5 on 58 ts%.

As for Drexler being superior post age 30, all this says is he has better longevity and avoided injury better. Him being better in his post-prime isn't enough to put him on par with Wade. Wade has 4 seasons better than any of Drexler's.
    Indeed.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by superteamtheory
    to the WadeRings guy, sorry I somehow totally forgot about that injury-by-humanbowlingball Cardinal, that's right, my bad.. I'll give that a pass then.. and that's a good vid of Bron's game 2 defence -- find me the behind the scenes footage of the mysterious "other person" (as Stephen A. Smith heard) he was having personal issues with prior to the Space Jam game 4, you are truly The Man...
    Never heard of him having personal issues before game 4.

also, one more thing, thought I was clear enough but I'm learning you gotta be crystal on these forums... when I said Drex's "deep Blazers" would "handle" the 06 Mavs, I thought it was gently implied they could beat the Heat (who were only 2 games better than those Mavs)... but you think 2006 Heat "couldn't hold a candlestick" to Drex's Blazers, like it'd be a sweep... I say no, you're thinking of the 90's Bulls...
    I was saying Wade's Supporting Cast was far worse than Drexler's. So even though Drexler went up against teams > than the 2006 Mavs he had suporting casts > than the 2006 Heat.