Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Re: wade vs clyde drexler

Quote Originally Posted by superteamtheory
    Wade at his peak (somewhere around 2009) is better than peak Drex IMO (just like MVP Barkley was totally amazing for at least that one year) but on the whole…

Drexler would have been The Man vs. 2006 Mavs too. … Drex & his deep Blazers could have handled that just-average-great Mavs roster. … 1990 Bad Boys & 1992 Jordan-Pippen… legendary combos he was coming up against…
    The 2006 Heat were nowhere as deep/talented as the early 1990s Blazers. Put Drexler on the 2006 Heat and then see if he wins the Chip. He went up against great Competition in 1990s but to act like the 2006 Heat hold a Candle to his Portland Teams

When Wade met (the much improved) Mavs again in 2011, with Bron as the man now…

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...106120MIA.html
    Wade was the man on the 2011 Heat. I love how you cherry pick Game 6 as if that was Game indicated what Wade did the whole Series. Wade was hurt in that Game because Brian Cardinal hipchecked him in Game 5. Bring up Games 1-5 and Wade vs Bron's 4th Quarter Numbers for that series. Wade's impact was far greater than Lebron's.

Jason Terry alone outplaying Dwyane Wade in a critical Finals elimination game…

but then again Bosh choked game 2 which Wade and Bron carried a crying Bosh through and LBJ had his Space Jam lost abilities game in game 4 which Wade tried to carry them through… so maybe it all evens out between those three that year… 2014 tho..
    No Lebron choked Game 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3Kz3DD1uQ

handchecking *is* the #1 thing explaining scoring rises in general, not the paintcamping and yeah it is interesting that shortly after that rule comes in the Pistons go down to Wade…
    Why are you acting like the Rule Change is the reason why Wade beat the Pistons? In his ROOKIE Year Wade had a Series of 21/4/6 shooting 49% vs a Top 5 Defense with the DPOY Ron Artest. Wade with an improved jumpshot and better decision making would've still had success in the Handcheck Era. The Pistons just couldn't stop Wade...don't put them losing on the Rule Change.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    wade benefits ALOT from the rule changes. he wouldnt be nearly as effective in the 90s
    He would kill in any era.

Wade.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Wade's 35.3ppg per 100 possessions vs 28.5 (career)
    Wade's 41.8ppg per 100 vs 33.5 (peak)

Drexler was never considered top 3 in the league if I can recall correctly. I remember one year he was 2nd in MVP voting to Jordan and took an okay cast to the finals with his teammate Terry Porter sometimes looking like the better player (especially in the Jazz series). Wade was the clear-cut best player in two finals that he was in and was held back from injuries his other two. Unquestionably to me, Wade is the better player when healthy. He did what Drexler did on offense but better. Both relied on a great mid-range to set up their drive. Drexler was taller but Wade was just more explosive. What really separated them was ball-handling. Drexler had a harder time to close because his was average at best.

Tier 1
    MJ
    Kobe

Tier 2
    Wade
    West

Tier 3
    Drexler
    Gervin
    AI

this is no contest. I saw both and while I love Clyde and loved his game, he's nowhere near DWade's impact on the game.

LeBron stans...

Quote Originally Posted by rezznor
    wade benefits ALOT from the rule changes. he wouldnt be nearly as effective in the 90s
    Wade averaged 16/4/5 on 53% TS as a rookie in the '04 season. The last season with hand checking. Dude was hitting game winniners in the PO's and carried the team to the 2nd round as a freaking rookie. Just stop it. If you think that Wade wouldn't be "nearly as effective", Harden would be a D-League player in the '90's.
    Last edited by aj1987; 07-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Wade, and it's not that close.

Wade has the stats, the rings, the fmvp etc over Clyde. But imho he also has/had the extra mental strength that Clyde never had. Imho DWade was also the better teamplayer/bbiq.

Both ATGs

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24

so clyde's lack of an off-hand (he rarely went left which made him predictable in certain situations) & weak ball handling which meant he couldn't break someone down off the dribble like a mitch richmond or sprewell could.
    [COLOR="Red"]Clyde's right hand was so phenomenal, he didn't need to go left much - but Mitch Richmond and Sprewell could only dream of taking it this strong going left:[/COLOR]

Clyde smashes on the two greatest defenders of all time (for non-pfs or centers).. :

College superstar

nice gifs 3ball - i don't think those guys were near as good finishing left, but what separates the other 2 is they had better HANDLES going left, and could pull up with ease doing so.

they're not better players - obviously. but more skilled in that regard.

who do you think is the greater sg btw? wade or glide?

Dunking on everybody in the park

Not sure this is even really debatable at this point. 06, & 09-11 versions of Wade are better than any version of Drexler. The longevity ain't all that big an advantage for Drexler anyways. Wade is better, better scorer, probably better defensively when he would really lock in.

The OP has an anti-Wade agenda so it doesn't surprise me he leans Drexler or is undecided.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by greatest-ever
    Not sure this is even really debatable at this point. 06, & 09-11 versions of Wade are better than any version of Drexler. The longevity ain't all that big an advantage for Drexler anyways. Wade is better, better scorer, probably better defensively when he would really lock in.

The OP has an anti-Wade agenda so it doesn't surprise me he leans Drexler or is undecided.
    there are MORE than a few that believe its debatable....

i don't have an agenda against wade either. some people just overrate him IMO - i will gladly rate him 4th or 5th all-time, at his position, so not sure what you're complaining about.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

People saying the new rules made it easier for Wade should also be talking about the pace factor. When Drexler was averaging a career high 27ppg the Blazer were a run and gun team with a 103.9 pace...in 2009 when Wade was averaging 30ppg the Heat had a 89.9 pace. You'd have to be crazy to think Wade couldn't do what Drexler did rule changes are not playing way more up tempo like that. With his athleticism and skill a run and gun style would fit him perfectly.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    there are MORE than a few that believe its debatable....

i don't have an agenda against wade either. some people just overrate him IMO - i will gladly rate him 4th or 5th all-time, at his position, so not sure what you're complaining about.
    dude you're a bron stan. you've proven time and time again that everything you say is pro bron agenda driven.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by f0und
    dude you're a bron stan. you've proven time and time again that everything you say is pro bron agenda driven.

with or without my thread, wade is 4th or 5th all-time at the sg slot. what could possibly be my agenda here?

EXTREMELY close but I'd go with Wade in terms of peak and overall career...