Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone here suffered a groin tear?

I got one almost 4 weeks ago playing ball and its still hurting whenever i try to do any lateral movements or quick turns. For those of you who had it how long was the recovery time and what kind or rehab exercises have you done to get back in action?

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone here suffered a groin tear?

I had a severe tear years ago after playing tackle football for a couple of hours. Could barely walk for a couple of weeks. Just rest and proper stretching helped me out in the end.

You may be out of commission for a month.

NBA Legend

Yeah man, groin pulls/tears are brutal and tend to linger a good long while.

Stay patient brother.

You know the drill...

Ice it, take a shitload of fish oil and wait til it cools. Move as much as possible when it allows you to. Stay moving, don't let it get gluey and scar tissue ish. Groins usually heal faster than other areas...

Use heat before you stretch, foam roll it, stretch everything else, the last thing you want is for the injury to compromise your whole movement. That would be setting you up for future injuries/re-injuring of the groin. Make sure you take a holistic look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

Stay patient brother.
    yea thats the longest its ever taking me to recover from an injury other than a sprained ACL once. Sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I had a severe tear years ago after playing tackle football for a couple of hours. Could barely walk for a couple of weeks. Just rest and proper stretching helped me out in the end.

You may be out of commission for a month.
    you didnt have any recurring pains after it healed? I was reading online and so many people were saying how it took them months to heal and even then it never felt the same as it was before. Got me scared because i never got that type of injury before
    Last edited by PistonsFan#21; 11-21-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    You know the drill...

Ice it, take a shitload of fish oil and wait til it cools. Move as much as possible when it allows you to. Stay moving, don't let it get gluey and scar tissue ish. Groins usually heal faster than other areas...

Use heat before you stretch, foam roll it, stretch everything else, the last thing you want is for the injury to compromise your whole movement. That would be setting you up for future injuries/re-injuring of the groin. Make sure you take a holistic look at this.
    Its been 4 weeks since the injury though so im passed the icing stage. Im working on range of movement, strength and stretching right now. Might need to add the foam roll to my routine though heard lots of good things about it

Also I remember a great strengthening exercise

Basically just an eccentric hip abduction. Lie on your back with knees at 90 degrees like you are squatting and slowly drop the knee out against gravity. Can even put weight on the knee and hold it for some form of progression. In my experience most strains are in the eccentric phase so its a bonus to strengthen the groin when its lengthened.

Good luck bro. Injuries are the worst

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

I had some sort of groin tear or strain over 6 months ago. It sidelined me for months, and then I got lazy. I just did my 1st 5k in a year over the weekend, and realized it still is not fully healed. I can feel the mild pain if I just stand on 1 leg and don't even do anything else. Kind of bums me out.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21

you didnt have any recurring pains after it healed? I was reading online and so many people were saying how it took them months to heal and even then it never felt the same as it was before. Got me scared because i never got that type of injury before

Nope. The groin is just like any other muscle. It tears and it heals. Recurring tears are signs of not using them as much or stretching properly. Proper stretching should do it. The time I tore it, I hadn't played football in years.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

Stay patient brother.
    keyword right there...

problem is you can't do anything. walking hurts, getting up or sitting down hurts, getting in the car hurts getting out of the car hurts...

just one big old "fu*k me" moment

It may never feel the same. You have to stretch and stay off it for weeks.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Your body sucks
    It sure does. The one thing I had going for me regarding my body was athleticism, but once my track career ended, I got injuries left and right. The injuries starting piling up in 2007, so naturally one of my friends started calling me Greg Oden.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    It sure does. The one thing I had going for me regarding my body was athleticism, but once my track career ended, I got injuries left and right. The injuries starting piling up in 2007, so naturally one of my friends started calling me Greg Oden.

My friends call me that too

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    No, but I've torn a few women's. The fellas know what I'm talking about.
    Didn't take you for the gang-banging type.

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Also I remember a great strengthening exercise

Basically just an eccentric hip abduction. Lie on your back with knees at 90 degrees like you are squatting and slowly drop the knee out against gravity. Can even put weight on the knee and hold it for some form of progression. In my experience most strains are in the eccentric phase so its a bonus to strengthen the groin when its lengthened.

Good luck bro. Injuries are the worst
    thanks boss. I'll add that in my routine