Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pippen or Worthy?

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Who would you DRAFT... It's easy to say you'd take Pippen after he has won 6 rings alongside MJ.

But coming out of college, Worthy was a lock to be a great player, while Pippen was scrawny, weak, and undeveloped - he had bust written all over him.

If he didn't get drafted by a champion like Celtics, Pistons, Lakers or Bulls, then he doesn't have a Bird/Magic/MJ-level mentor that he needs to become the player he became (remember when he got over the hump in 1990 ECF game 7 - he doesn't do that on say, the Vancover Grizzlies)
    Worthy joined Magic and Kareem.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBean
    Worthy. If they switched teams would their teams be as successful? Yes I do believe that if they switched teams, both teams would have been successful.

lol @ Jordan winning 6 with Worthy as his sidekick. he'd win... nowhere near 6 though.

NBA Superstar

Who would you DRAFT... It's easy to say you'd take Pippen after he has won 6 rings alongside MJ.

But coming out of college, Worthy was a lock to be a great player, while Pippen was scrawny, weak, and undeveloped - he had bust written all over him.

If he didn't get drafted by a champion like Celtics, Pistons, Lakers or Bulls, then he doesn't have a Bird/Magic/MJ-level mentor that he needs to become the player he became (remember when he got over the hump in 1990 ECF game 7 - he doesn't do that on say, the Vancover Grizzlies)
    Who cares? This is about who the better player was.

But anything to degrade Pippen, am I right?!

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls

Dude. He was drafted by a non championship team.

Why do you keep acting as if the Bulls were this juggernaut when Pippen and Grant joined?
    Look, you didn't watch basketball back then - Grant is not worthy of mentioning like he was this massive asset or something.. At the time, NOBODY viewed Grant as a irreplaceable piece...

He was 11/8 player - not just for his career, but those were his numbers from 1988-1993 alongside MJ, and during the championship years of 1991-1993... He was replaceable by literally hundreds of guys in NBA history.

Horace says so himself:
    "If it wasn't for MJ, I don't think I'd be sitting here right now. Not saying I wouldn't have had a decent career, but for a leader to lead you to 3 championships...."

So stop talking about Horace like he is equivalent to the third options other guys had - i.e. Magic's HOF Worthy, Lebron's HOF and 10-time all-star Bosh, Bird's HOF Parish, or Duncan's HOF Ginobili.

The reality is that MJ only needed a 20 ppg running mate and a bunch of role players to win rings.. The Bulls were nothing in 1987, but MJ wasn't going to have zero help FOREVER - eventually, the Bulls would get him a 20 ppg running mate and he'd win rings.

So again, back to Pippen vs. Worthy - Worthy was a lock to be a great player, while Pippen was a scrawny, weak player that needed a TON of development.. Specifically, for Pippen to be a championship-caliber player, he needed to go through a PLAYOFF experience where he "got over the hump" - he got this with MJ in the 1990 ECF... And he would get this same championship growth experience alongside Bird and Magic too - but if he gets drafted by the Bucks or some other garbage team with no ATG's that had no chance to grow into champions, we would never talk about Pippen, like ever.
    Last edited by 3ball; 08-06-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Look, you didn't watch basketball back then - Grant is not worthy of mentioning like he was this massive asset or something.. At the time, NOBODY viewed Grant as a irreplaceable piece...

He was 11/8 player - not just for his career, but those were his numbers from 1988-1993 alongside MJ, and during the championship years of 1991-1993... He was replaceable by literally hundreds of guys in NBA history.

Horace says so himself:
    "If it wasn't for MJ, I don't think I'd be sitting here right now. Not saying I wouldn't have had a decent career, but for a leader to lead you to 3 championships...."

So stop talking about Horace like he is equivalent to the third options other guys had - i.e. Magic's HOF Worthy, Lebron's HOF and 10-time all-star Bosh, Bird's HOF Parish, or Duncan's HOF Ginobili.

The reality is that MJ only needed a 20 ppg running mate and a bunch of role players to win rings.. The Bulls were nothing in 1987, but MJ wasn't going to have zero help FOREVER - eventually, the Bulls would get him a 20 ppg running mate and he'd win rings.

So again, back to Pippen vs. Worthy - Worthy was a lock to be a great player, while Pippen was a scrawny, weak player that needed a TON of development.. Specifically, for Pippen to be a championship-caliber player, he needed to go through a PLAYOFF experience where he "got over the hump" - he got this with MJ in the 1990 ECF... And he would get this same championship growth experience alongside Bird and Magic too - but if he gets drafted by the Bucks or some other garbage team with no ATG's that had no chance to grow into champions, we would never talk about Pippen, like ever.
    Scottie Pippen was the number 5 pick in the draft bro. You're acting as if Bulls Management found him bagging groceries or something.

And the fact is none of us know what or how good a player might have been under a different scenario. Lets just judge them on what we saw.

And im not arguing your opinion. Im arguing your reasoning. Your dismissing Pip because he joined Jordan and a team that wouls evolve into a champion. Mind you due in part greatly to Pippens contributions. Fine thats the criteria you set great. Worthy actually Joined two great players in Magic and Jabaar. He joined a team that won a championship. Hell the year before He was drafted, the Lakers were actually in the Finals. The year before Pippen was drafted, the Bulls couldn't even get out of the first round.

You dont see the folly in your assesment?

NBA Superstar

Horace says so himself:

Pippen was a lot more than that you stupid asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawkFactory
    Pippen was a lot more than that you stupid asshole.
    I find it funny that hes picking Worthy based on how they both were regarded comming into the league when LeBron James was a much higer regarded player comming into the NBA than Jordan. Yet he takes Jordan. Go figure

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    I find it funny that hes picking Worthy based on how they both were regarded comming into the league when LeBron James was a much higer regarded player comming into the NBA than Jordan. Yet he takes Jordan. Go figure
    Dude will take Rudy Gay over Scottie Pippen at this point.

In the playoffs

'12 Bosh: 14/8/1 49%
    '91 Grant: 13/8/2 58%

'13 Bosh: 12/7/2 46%
    '92 Grant: 11/9/3 54%

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    In the playoffs

'12 Bosh: 14/8/1 49%
    '91 Grant: 13/8/2 58%

'13 Bosh: 12/7/2 46%
    '92 Grant: 11/9/3 54%
    10 time all star Chris Bosh doing worse than trash Grant

3ball got owned again. He's now the resident ISH punching bag.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Basically everyone will pick Pippen(one of the greatest defensive player and offense orchestrator ever), except for 3ball

Oh, and Pippen did lead his team to the ECF after the GOAT left the team. Can you say that about any other 2nd option ever?

Pippen. He was pretty successful during the 2 years MJ was out.

Summing it up...

Pippen was a better defensive player, a better passer (who could bring the ball up), even a better rebounder.

Worthy was a bit better scorer, and although Pip had more range on his shot, James was better from mid-range and at the FT line.
    Big Game James also the better clutch performer.

Worthy never had the chance to show what he could do on "his own team" at his best though, like Scottie did in 1994... I think he could've handled it well, let's say; with numbers like 24/7/4 in the regular-season, ofc on worse efficiency with more TO's, and while more praised individually at the time, he wouldn't have won as much or even remotely close, making him more forgotten nowadays.

Anyways, there are some "situations" in which one should take Worthy here (most of them being with him as a #1 option probably) but, overall, Pippen was just a better, more impactful player.

I definitely got Scottie above in terms of peak and higher on my all-time list, even thinking that James gets underrated/overlooked plenty.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Summing it up...

Pippen was a better defensive player, a better passer (who could bring the ball up), even a better rebounder.

Worthy was a bit better scorer, and although Pip had more range on his shot, James was better from mid-range and at the FT line.
    Big Game James also the better clutch performer.

Worthy never had the chance to show what he could do on "his own team" at his best though, like Scottie did in 1994... I think he could've handled it well, let's say; with numbers like 24/7/4 in the regular-season, ofc on worse efficiency with more TO's, and while more praised individually at the time, he wouldn't have won as much or even remotely close, making him more forgotten nowadays.

Anyways, there are some "situations" in which one should take Worthy here (most of them being with him as a #1 option probably) but, overall, Pippen was just a better, more impactful player.

I definitely got Scottie above in terms of peak and higher on my all-time list, even thinking that James gets underrated/overlooked plenty.
    So if you're drafting a team and don't have Jordan or Magic/Kareem already there who you got?